What's new

Chapters Indigo - This is Truly Appalling! (2 Viewers)

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Now; I'm a pretty forgiving guy. Companies make mistakes and errors in judgement that can normally be mitigated by corrective action; by taking responsibility for their actions and making things right.

However, this story is to me so appalling and disgraceful that nothing short of terminating those responsible atones for the gross lack of judgement exercised. An apology isn't enough here; action should be taken that clearly demonstrates their own supposed conviction that a mistake was made. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case.

I am cancelling my pre-order with them for B5 and will never deal with them again. Am I over-reacting?

http://www.cbc.ca/storyview/MSN/2003...hapters_030424

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure what's to be outraged about? He's been re-hired at a higher pay rate.

I don't know the labor laws in Canada, but the only thing I see to be outraged about is that Chapters apparently wasn't paying the minimum wage from the start. He should be reimbursed the difference in salary for his entire length of employment.

Otherwise, just because they're disabled shouldn't mean they're exempt from cost cutting. "Equal Opportunity" should apply to employment as well as layoffs.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
David; exactly.

Now, I too am a manager. That means, among other things, that I carefully consider how my actions or inactions affect the company. Anyone here who is a manager understands exactly what I am saying.

This case is not only about apparent blatant discrimination, it is about gross incompetence. For someone in a management position to perform so poorly, and do something so idiotic - and then still be employed in that position, makes the offence even more pronounced.

To fire two people under the guise that a paltry wage of 36 bucks hurts the bottom line is so transparently false, it boggles the mind. To allow it to go unpunished is indecent in the strongest sense. So, beyond the offence itself, there is a gross mis-management practices that dispel any wonder as to why Indigo is in perpetual financial difficulty. When they employ managers with this lack of common sense at the fron line, and then perpetuate it at head office by allowing them to remain...

The minimum wage issue is actually secondary. The family was obviously involved and it is not unusual to see folks who are disabled, clean tables in mall eateries and perform other perhaps simple tasks that the store or mall in question would probably not hire full-time staff for anyway. It allows for disabled folks to achieve some sense of dignity, and also allows employers to have them on staff. There are even government programs that help subsidize this type of activity.

JarheadKlan

Auditioning
Real Name
Bert Williams
Chapters Indigo refused to hire me, citing my permanent disability caused by an accident when I served in the Canadian military. CPP pays me $210 per week to live on (Veterans Affairs Canada refused to help after numerous appeals) and the Canadian government taxes me on the CPP "income." Canada is just another dressed-up cesspool to live in, if you are injured and you don't have a rich uncle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks