What's new

CES... (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
First person who tells me what a 52-inch or larger 3D ready display will cost and when I can buy it will have my eternal gratitude.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Don't hold me to it, but I thought there was talk of initial product sometime in 2010 or maybe early 2011. The one guarantee is that it won't be cheap, just like any other new tech. I bet you'll be looking at the 5,000 or higher range for starters. In my case, the earliest I would consider this tech is 3-4 years after its introduction. That gives them plenty of time to work out the kinks.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Unfortunately I'm not going this year. I'm interested in advancements in LED LCD sets. I've heard rumors about a way of getting local dimming contrast ratios without actually using local dimming. I'm also interested in 3D On the Media Center front I've heard rumors of an announcement of support from a satellite company and am hoping to hear some shipping details about the Ceton multistream cablecard tuner.

First person who tells me what a 52-inch or larger 3D ready display will cost and when I can buy it

If I had to guess I would expect Panasonic to announce 50 and 54 inch plasmas with built in 3D coming soon and a 3D BD player in Feb or March. Expect a 25-30% premium over 2D models. Having seen material on their 103" model for almost two years I consider the kinks to be worked out. Sign me up!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Definitely 3D.

Quite a few members of this forum have been fortunate
to see Panasonic's 3D technology either individually at
CEDIA or as a group during HTF meets hosted by Panasonic
Hollywood at their facility.

The demo we saw on their 103" display was truly amazing.

Panasonic will be introducing some 3D hardware at CES

in January and we hope that with the launch of AVATAR

on BD (possibly in 3D) it will help get this technology into
the homes of consumers.

Those of us that have seen 3D technology for the home
are already sold on it and have been promoting it within
this forum over the past year.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
My 61" Samsung LED DLP is supposed to be 3D ready, but I've not watched a 3D movie on it. I'm not one that's looking forward to all the 3D stuff. Just seems too gimmicky to me. I'm supposed to go see Avatar this weekend at an Imax theater. It will probably be in 3D. I hope it's more impressive than past 3D movies I've seen. For those who like 3D, I hope that what's coming is what you want and expect.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
My 61" Samsung LED DLP is supposed to be 3D ready, but I've not watched a 3D movie on it. I'm not one that's looking forward to all the 3D stuff. Just seems too gimmicky to me.

I felt the same way until I saw Panasonic's demo. The first loop they played was from the 2008 Olympic opening ceremony. It was amazing.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Ok, I'm going to do something I don't do very often. I'm going to eat my words! We went to Raleigh and saw Avatar in 3D. I have to admit, the 3D was outstanding! I've never before seen 3D that looked that good. They handed out good polarized glasses to watch it with. If the home version of 3D will look like that, I'm all for it! But, if it's going to be that crap with the red and blue lens glasses, I want no part of it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I am looking for this to be a BIG MONTH from Canon, Nikon, Google, Microsoft, Sony and later Apple. TV can take a back seat to the cameras and gadgets as far as I'm concerned!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
They handed out good polarized glasses to watch it with. If the home version of 3D will look like that, I'm all for it!

Its a little different, but with the same results. The glasses look similar, but have active shutters that take their timing from an IR emitter. No red and blue lenses to be found.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks