What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Celebrity Encounters: Good or Bad? (1 Viewer)

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Joe Lugoff said:
Also, Nicholson got "stood up" by the guy he was expecting. What if he called him and yelled at him, and stopped speaking to him, and a lifelong friendship was ruined?

Here are the words that escaped the mind due to encountering a "celebrity," as if they're superhuman: "Mr. Nicholson, you think I'm someone else. I don't know you."Whereupon he would have said, "Man, you're a dead ringer for an old friend of mine."

I hate to be so prosaic about this. It was a fun story to read. But why couldn't that have been the way it played out?

Though never in that situation I can empathize with the way it went--the unreality of it! Only afterwards can a more common sense resolution be comfortably imagined.

In the late 1980s I encountered the daughter of silent film star John Gilbert, who had written a book on him that I had recently read. I actually said quite a bit of to her about my reaction to the bittersweet nature of the book, and how well her writing came across in telling it. I was pleased by her intently hearing me out; not often I get to talk to an author in this regard, especially after having just read their book. By the way, at the same event were Kevin Brownlow and David Gill of the fabled "Hollywood" series. I only got to talk to Gill, who was quite affable.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I can't imagine there's anyone reading this thread who hasn't been in one of those awkward situations like Reggie described (minus Jack Nicholson, of course!). But the most common situation is probably where someone walks up to you and starts talking to you and you don't have a clue who the person is.

Sometimes I have the wherewithal to say, "I'm sorry, but I am drawing a complete blank right now. I'm not always good with names & faces..."

But I readily admit to sometimes just playing along and then wondering, "who the heck WAS that?!?"

It all tends to unfold so fast sometimes...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I was actually on the other end of one of those conversations once, The truly embarrassing part is that the guy I mistook for someone else was a person that I'd actually met before! Later on I realized my mistake, but it was at the very end of a convention, as everyone was leaving, so I didn't get a chance to apologize. (Come to think of it, I'm not sure that I've seen either of them since.)

In my defense, both guys had thick beards. :)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Ketchum Idaho is probably more crowded with well-known persons than anywhere else. In years past it was Ernest Hemmingway and Steve McQueen, and now Tom Hanks, Bruce Willis, Demi Moore, Arnold Schwarzenneger, John Kerry, and many others have places in town or just south in Hailey. The locals are completely non-starstruck and this is perhaps the secret of why these notables own vacation homes there. Unlike Hollywood, there are no "maps to the homes of the stars" being hawked in the gift shops in Ketchum. Notables just blend in.

There's a bar and grill called The Pioneer in Ketchum. It's mostly a bar with only a handfull of tables for steakhouse fare, and they don't take reservations. Arnold comes in one night and asks the Maitre d' "How long is the wait for a table?" He's told about 50 minutes. So Arnold starts up with a "do you know who I am" speech. He's then told "yes Mr. Schwarzenneger, I know who you are and the wait for a table is about 50 minutes." Whereupon Arnold goes meekly off to the bar to wait.

If you're interested, Steve McQueen's old ranch up the hill from Ketchum is currently for sale - if you have a spare $7.4 million.

http://hallhall.com/ranches-for-sale/properties/pioneer-moon-ranch

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Dennis Nicholls said:
There's a bar and grill called The Pioneer in Ketchum. It's mostly a bar with only a handfull of tables for steakhouse fare, and they don't take reservations. Arnold comes in one night and asks the Maitre d' "How long is the wait for a table?" He's told about 50 minutes. So Arnold starts up with a "do you know who I am" speech. He's then told "yes Mr. Schwarzenneger, I know who you are and the wait for a table is about 50 minutes." Whereupon Arnold goes meekly off to the bar to wait.

If you're interested, Steve McQueen's old ranch up the hill from Ketchum is currently for sale - if you have a spare $7.4 million.

Sometimes celebs need a reality check.

:cool:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'll readily admit that I am a whore when it comes to wanting to
meet celebrities and have my picture taken with them.

Sam Posten said earlier that his favorite celebrity meet was Ernest
Borgnine. I second that. He was the most approachable, wonderful
celebrity I have met and when he passed away, I was quite saddened.

Here are a few photos of my celebrity encounters over the years. Hope
you don't mind me sharing as I am very proud of them...

borgnine1.jpg

This is a picture I will cherish forever. Ernest was a great individual.

_DSC4454.jpg

Ben Stiller met our HTF meet group at a Paramount Screening event. He was quite
agreeable to having me take a picture with him.

DSC_0071.jpg

Was walking the Paramount lot one morning and all of a sudden there he was...
Gary Coleman Emmanuel Lewis. Asked for a photo with him. He couldn't be more gracious.

IMG_2007.jpg

Stephen Lang (Colonel Quarich, Avatar) was at a Fox press event in NYC. Extremely
nice guy, very approachable, and of course, willing to have his picture taken with a fan.

paul.jpg

Was a big fan of Paul Adelstein while he was on TV show, Prison Break.
When a friend of mine who was working on Private Practice allowed me
to visit the set, I asked for the opportunity to meet with Paul. I was in a
moment of awe when I was brought to his trailer, where once inside, this
photo was taken.

goldblum.jpg

This was an OH WOW moment for me. Was at an EMA party in Las Vegas
around 2007 with other HTF members, hanging out in the VIP area. All of a
sudden I turn around and there is Jeff Goldblum. Told him how much a fan
I was of his. He talked with a few of us for several minutes and was kind enough
to allow us to have pictures taken with him.

2117_1093913141110_7222_n.jpg

With Ed Begley Jr. at EMA around 2007

2117_1093913101109_6967_n.jpg

With Donnie Most and Anson Williams at EMA around 2007. Great buncj
of guys.

2117_1093916181186_9092_n.jpg

With Josh Groban at a meet and greet prior to a concert. Yes, I am
quite a huge fan of the singer. And he was a very, very shy individual.

2117_1093913221112_7746_n.jpg

This was a photo that I never wanted to publish for obvious reasons. But,
when you meet Tommy Chong and he agrees to take a picture with you,
you want to make it as authentic as possible. It was all in fun, and he really
enjoyed the opportunity.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You are forgiven for being around Tommy Chong.

I don't get anything from weed, but I'd light up for him(did both quit, or just Marin?) and Willie.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Ronald Epstein said:
attachicon.gif
DSC_0071.jpg

Was walking the Paramount lot one morning and all of a sudden there he was...
Gary Coleman. Asked for a photo with him. He couldn't be more gracious.
Shame on you! That's Emmanuel Lewis (Webster) not Gary Coleman. Tsk, tsk, tsk. :P

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Very nice to see those photos, Ronald. I never had the nerve to get myself posed next to a star, so kudos to you!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
It's interesting to read how nice Ernest Borgnine was, and I believe it.

However, he married Ethel Merman in 1964 and they separated after only 38 days. Neither one would ever talk about what happened, but from what I've read about the two of them, it just had to be Merman's fault. Borgnine was married for almost forty years to his fifth and final wife.

Luckily, I don't really care; I just like to type on the Internet.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Shame on you! That's Emmanuel Lewis (Webster) not Gary Coleman. Tsk, tsk, tsk. :P
Yikes! ...and I remember I was with HTF co-owner Adam Gregorich
and we were both trying to figure out his name. I knew him as "Webster."
We both did a quick phone search before we approached him and
fortunately, addressed him as Emmanuel.

I'll update that photo.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Dennis Nicholls said:

That's a wonderful story. "Stars" being treated like the rest of us, not receiving "special" treatment because of who they are.

They're people, just like the rest of us and they can wait in line like the rest of us.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Stan said:
That's a wonderful story. "Stars" being treated like the rest of us, not receiving "special" treatment because of who they are.

They're people, just like the rest of us and they can wait in line like the rest of us.
Not quite the same thing, but I liked observing years ago noted film historian William K. Everson, during a film convention, waiting on line at Burger King like everyone else. He was a guest speaker, which could have inspired him to cut to the front of the line if he chose to.

^_^

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Actually I don't think Arnold minded a bit. One prime reason stars hang out in Ketchum is that they ARE treated as normal people. It's a relief to them.

I attended a seminar about state government in Idaho hosted by state legislators. The retired Speaker of the Idaho House, Bruce Newcomb, recalled a story about Arnold back before Arnold was CA governor. Arnold hosted a seminar for the legislative leaders of Western states at his place in Ketchum, said place being the size of some hotels. Bruce asked if it was OK to show up after taking care of some new calves at his ranch and Arnold was only too pleased to say yes. So Bruce shows up with dirt on his cowboy boots and gets out with his dog at Arnold's front door. Dog then relieves himself on Arnold's front door to Arnold's great amusement. Bruce's pickup truck and dog are sent off with the valet with instructions to feed the dog. I think Arnold was only too happy to host a real live cowboy as opposed to a Hollywood cowboy.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Arnold earns a bonus point!

Been reading an interesting book on Johnny Carson, written by his former lawyer. Not sure if I mentioned earlier that In the '80s I swore I saw Carson descending an escalator at the Trump Tower in NYC, while I was ascending--I could have touched him. Thing is, Carson was "disguised" with a hat, sunglasses and heavy coat, and definitely seemed in incognito mode. I always wondered if it was definitely him, but the book affirms that Carson had a condominium at the Trump Tower, so, okay.

:cool: .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks