What's new

Carol Burnett - skits only!! (1 Viewer)

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I would like to see the company holding the rights to Carol Burnett's old televsion series release a set that consisted only of the skits featuring the characters from "The Family" skits.

These are the characters that eventually were spun-off into Mama's Family.

It would be nice to have all the skits collected together, maybe along with the special they did that, if I recall correctly, focused on Eunice after Mama died. Anyone know if this is correct or is my memory faulty??

Anyway, I would snap this collection up in a heartbeat!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by bretmaverick2

I would like to see the company holding the rights to Carol Burnett's old televsion series release a set that consisted only of the skits featuring the characters from "The Family" skits.

These are the characters that eventually were spun-off into Mama's Family.

It would be nice to have all the skits collected together, maybe along with the special they did that, if I recall correctly, focused on Eunice after Mama died. Anyone know if this is correct or is my memory faulty??

Anyway, I would snap this collection up in a heartbeat!

"Eunice" special was basically a three-act play in which, yes, Mama died in the third act.

If Carol's not going to release complete season sets, I don't see why she can't release a "Family"-centric collection. You're not the only one who'd pick it up. I don't know about the rights/royalties/legalities of releasing such a collection, but I do know it would be somewhat popular. I've said on other threads that Carol Burnett seems to be something of a hold-out on dvd when it comes to releasing her past successes. Where's the early two versions of "Once Upon a Mattress?" Where's "Fresno?" She did put out a lot of eps of her own show through mail order, but she's nowhere to be found in the stores. If it weren't for the fact that she was in "Annie," most people would hardly know that Carol Burnett even exists :(

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley ) and Glee.

I think Fox owns Fresno (it was an MTM Production, wasn't it). The old versions of Once Upon a Mattress may be tied up in music rights, too. All things I'd like to see.

Did Carol Burnett and Friends do particularly well in reruns? I don't remember it getting local exposure here, except for the cable airings.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by MatthewA

Did Carol Burnett and Friends do particularly well in reruns? I don't remember it getting local exposure here, except for the cable airings.

CB&F ran for years in my area!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

CB&F ran for years in my area!

We, by which I mean the Raleigh-Durham market, got most of the major sitcoms and dramas that got syndicated but not, to my knowledge, this. I don't think we got Carson's Comedy Classics either.

Your comments made me think of something I once read (I know, I know, I need to start writing down everything I read). Carol was offered a sitcom in the mid-1960s, but she turned it down fearing she would be typecast for life if it was a hit. So she did The Carol Burnett Show, became a household name, etc. But sketch comedies do not seem to do well in reruns, at least on the local level. I don't think they even tried to syndicate SNL. People whose lifespans don't overlap with that of Lucille Ball know her from I Love Lucy, but how many young people know Sid Caesar did something other than Grease?

Oh, and while we're at it, who owns her specials with Julie Andrews? Now that they've finally released the Sound of Music spoof from the first one (on its Blu-ray), where are they in their entirety?

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I agree that a skits-only compilation series might be a great idea. Or a box set of the CB&F syndie version. Anything along that line would at least be better than nothing. Complete season sets are never going to happen for a big variety of reasons.

BTW, do we really need yet another Carol Burnett thread here ? There's already at least one major one. Can someone combine this thread with a pre-existing one ? The subject matter and comments are all basically the same.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by MatthewA

We, by which I mean the Raleigh-Durham market, got most of the major sitcoms and dramas that got syndicated but not, to my knowledge, this. I don't think we got Carson's Comedy Classics either.

Your comments made me think of something I once read (I know, I know, I need to start writing down everything I read). Carol was offered a sitcom in the mid-1960s, but she turned it down fearing she would be typecast for life if it was a hit. So she did The Carol Burnett Show, became a household name, etc. But sketch comedies do not seem to do well in reruns, at least on the local level. I don't think they even tried to syndicate SNL. People whose lifespans don't overlap with that of Lucille Ball know her from I Love Lucy, but how many young people know Sid Caesar did something other than Grease?

Oh, and while we're at it, who owns her specials with Julie Andrews? Now that they've finally released the Sound of Music spoof from the first one (on its Blu-ray), where are they in their entirety?

I always lived near the Los Angeles market. Carol ran for the better part of a decade in syndie, and Carson also had a good long run. I think they both ran on K-CAL 9 in Los Angeles, but I may be wrong. SNL didn't, I think run in syndication locally, but we saw the oldies on Comedy Central for awhile in the late 90s. Not sure if they still run it. I'm not sure if sketch comedy does well or not, because I'd always been a fan and would go out of my way to find it on tv. Nowadays, of course, I don't even watch tv--just dvds!

I think we do our offspring a service by giving them classics to watch. My dad dragged me into the living room and had me watch Ernie Kovacs reruns--I loved that show. He introduced me to a lot of old shows that I ended up liking, like Wild Wild West and Get Smart. I let my grand-niece watch one episode of HR Pufnstuf, now she wants the whole dvd for her birthday. There is hope--

I agree with David; can we merge this with one of the other "Carol" threads? Ah--but the fact that there are so many "Carol" threads just proves that she is still loved, and very under-represented on home video!!!

mgdvd0

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
For the time being "TIME-LIFE" is sitting on the right !

just like the DEAN MARTIN SHOWS Carol is sold in season sets on a subscription basis ONLY so far

http://www.carolburnettshowvideos.com/jump.php

I noticed through TV-shows on DVD that a "collection" of Dinos shows is being released to the "public" soon

so if it goes the right way we can HOPE for Carol as well but no dates or release is in the rumor mill yet :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks