What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Theatrical Captain America: Civil War (2016) (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Good. When they decide to ease Evans out and look for his successor, I tend to think that Mackie makes more sense in the suit than does Bucky. I know the comics went both ways, and I like Stan as an actor okay, but Mackie makes more sense to me.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Odds on a scene where Bucky and Falcon both pick up Cap's shield at the same time?

I haven't read any of the Falcon as Cap run, but I wasn't that keen on Bucky as Cap.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Personally, I'm hoping that if they ever do feel the need to have a different character take on the role of Captain America it won't be for a good long while.

When you've had 60+ years of a character in the comics, I can see trying to change up the status quo a bit. But with these films, I wouldn't want to see someone else be "Captain America" after only a decade of films.

Besides, to me, the appeal of the character IS Steve Rogers, not what he calls himself when he gears up for battle.

I suppose if Chris Evens were to leave the role, an interesting way to handle it would be to have him captured by an enemy or go off on a walkabout (or something like that) and have the character sit out an entire MCU phase during which Barnes or Wilson try to fill his shoes. Then they could re-cast Rogers and bring him back after like a 4-5 year absence from the MCU.

Evans has said that he wants to focus on directing more than acting. But he also seems to enjoy working on these films and with these actors, and he has indicated that he'd like to continue after his contract is done. So I'm hoping it will be a while before he actually leaves either way.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
I completely agree with all of the above. Steve Rogers is Captain America to me. The skinny kid from Brooklyn who doesn't like bullies. I think there is real potential in Bucky's story, him trying to deal with everything he has done, how responsible is he, how can he ever make up for it, but that story is more interesting to me with Steve involved. They were life long friends in the MCU and now Steve is the only person alive who knew the pre Winter Soldier Barnes, just as Bucky is the only person alive (apart from poor Peggy) who knew the pre Super Soldier Rogers. It is good to hear that the relationship between them and Falcon forms an important part of Civil War.

They would need to handle it very carefully if they did want to do a passing of the torch in the movies, but like you said hopefully that isn't for a long time. Anyway they need to pay off that tease from Age of Ultron in Infinity War.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I'll be damned if the Tales to Astonish music doesn't sound like Dick Dale surf music.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Richard V said:
I'll be damned if the Tales to Astonish music doesn't sound like Dick Dale surf music.
I have to say, after listening to it several times, I think "Takes to Astonish" is my favorite theme in the MCU to date. I'd love to see Henry Jackman work a bit of that into Ant-Man's Civil War scenes.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Oh, it's on!
image.jpg

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Doesnt look like Black Widow in the second pic, do you have your glasses on? :eek:

What is flying in the second pic?

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
TonyD said:
Doesnt look like Black Widow in the second pic, do you have your glasses on? :eek:

No, when I said Black Widow was in the 'above picture', I mean the picture above the Cap picture, i.e. the first picture.

I saw somewhere else that it is Sharon Carter in the Cap picture.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm more confused now, It looks a lot like Sharon Carter in that pic.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I didn't know who Sharon Carter was. Having just watched Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, it looked like Bobby Morse in the picture which was why I asked the original question.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Jeff Cooper said:
I didn't know who Sharon Carter was. Having just watched Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, it looked like Bobby Morse in the picture which was why I asked the original question.
She was Cap's next door neighbor in Winter Soldier, later revealed as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent assigned to keep tabs on him, played by Emily VanCamp. Looks like she's going to be having a larger role this time around.

Interesting that Black Widow is on Team Iron Man this time around, given that she has a great deal of admiration for Steve and can't really stand Tony.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Adam Lenhardt said:
Interesting that Black Widow is on Team Iron Man this time around, given that she has a great deal of admiration for Steve and can't really stand Tony.

I don't think this is actually a spoiler, and is more speculation based on a couple Fiege comments and the plot of Winter Soldier, but I'll throw spoiler tags on anyway out of an abundance of caution:

I thought I read Fiege recently said that one of the sources of conflict in "Civil War" is that Steve wants to bring Bucky back to the good side, and that the civil war is the result of a disagreement between Steve Rogers and Tony Stark that starts over Bucky, and whether he can be rehabilited and redeemed. Steve obviously thinks he can be redeemed; Tony doesn't. Black Widow had been shot by Bucky when he was the Winter Soldier (which she talked about in that movie), and she saw his destructive power up close and personal again during the movie - so looking at it that way, she might be with Stark because she feels that strongly about Bucky.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
TonyD said:

That's Sharon Carter or Agent 13 from the Winter Soldier. She had a small role in that film but it looks like it will be more significant in Civil War. Which is good because she is a Cap character and Civil War is a Cap movie.

In the comics, Falcon had an actual falcon called Red Wing that worked with him. I believe he communicated with it telepathically. I think they are going with a drone that assists him in battle in the MCU.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Maybe she agrees with Tony's point after inadvertently working for Hydra for years. Her believing in Steve but agreeing with Tony is actually more dramatic, and perfectly believable.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Right. The divide isn't between "good guys and bad guys". It'll be based on what each hero thinks is "right".

So there will probably be some siding based on loyalty, but the main split will be based on principle. Having those that are close coming down on different sides of the issue definitely makes for better drama.

And Widow and Cap falling on opposite sides isn't nearly as rough a split as Widow and Hawkeye falling on opposite sides.

I'm sure this leaked concept (or promo) art doesn't tell the whole story. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some degree of side switching through the story. I've read that Black Panther would be more of a neutral party. Scarlet Witch is in the movie and she's not shown in these. Plus, Spider-Man is in there as well.

I love seeing Ant-Man on Cap's and Hawkeye's shoulders.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim86
Recent bookmarks