includes the fact you won't get away with the exact
dollar-dollar conversion.
Tak on 4% for duty.
Once it hits Canada, you get raped by UPS to the tune
of around $50, which includes brokerage, processing
and PST and GST levied on both those charges. In
case anyone was wondering, yes, you can if you order
something that cost $10 UPS to ship end up paying
$40 to them after they hit you with the brokerage, processing fees. Nice, huh? INSIST the dealer ship
it VIA USPS.
Then you pay the PST and GST on the cost of the unit
so your total comes out to around $1800.00. This is
pretty much what you'll pay. In other words, if it's
$100 U.S., you'll pay $200 Canadian by the time it lands.
Now, someone asked why we pay the tax if you can't buy the
product here. In Apr. 1999, the Federal government started
charging provincial taxes (PST) on imports. This money goes back to the Provinces. How much have they collected since starting this? About 7.5X more money than the so-called Provincial "Tax breaks" gave us back in the last couple years. The 7% GST is levied on everything.
But look at it this way; If it were 1978, you'd be paying
13% FST plus 12% duty on imports. But then our dollar was
worth $0.86 as opposed to the $0.63 it's worth now so
the end result is we still get raped. Only we didn't pretend back then that there was anything called, "FREE TRADE." :)

Vishwa Somayaji

Stunt Coordinator
A question to my Canadian friends(Sean or Serge):

My 950 is in transit and scheduled for delivery on Wednesday. I got the details on charges and UPS told me that they have assessed $91 in duty. How can it be different in Alberta than in Ontario? The total is $266.14. I mentioned that others have paid no duty and the lady at UPS told me to take it up with Revenue canada. Could anyone help me with this as to any reference or some such thing? How can they selectively charge some people duty?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
Charging duty is not an exact science. It seems three customs people may assess the goods three different ways, and it is up to you to correct things if they get it wrong. It is not hard to correct.... just fill in the paperwork and send it off.

Mark.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I know this has little to do with outlaw amps/pre-amps but I thought I would list the cost of the blueprint 1503 sub driver I bought.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=32880
Thats the thread where I listed the cost. Sometimes even with the taxes and brokerage fees and exchange Its still worth it. Especially when you have something few other people have;)

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
I'm pleased to mention i am one of the fortunate ones that has friends with relatives in the States so in turn saved about $290CDN or so. This is the first time i do something like this and you know what i don't feel guilty at all. I'm paying the amount that i should be paying, period! I'm fed up of giving half of my hard earned money away every week. Maybe i should just move to the US and have a 15%-20% HIGHER overall standard of living. Think about every single year what you could do with that kind of money, you can pay off your home in a few years, you can invest a good chunk of change and you can put some extra funds away for the kids. Don't get me wrong, Canada is a great country but not when it comes to getting ahead. Health care, etc is going down the tubes and my 5 year financial outlook is to keep up with inflation (if i'm lucky).

We can't even legally watch US satellite anymore this is how ridiculous this is all getting. Every second house in my neighbourhood has a satellite dish and they wait until this point to make it illegal.

Oh well, my whining is over and now back to enjoying my 950. Hope you guys are enjoying your units as well.

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Got mine yesterday! It was shipped to Winnipeg. I placed my reservation Dec 13. Got hit by UPS and customs for a total of 265.62. :angry:
On the plus side, the 950 sure sounds fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks