What's new

Buying iMac: any advice? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Deleted all user accounts; created a new, dummy account. Logged in, reran MA, transferring only user data (no applications).

This time it worked, properly created the transferred account, got all the data, desktop settings, etc.

So, Migration Assistant seems quirky or buggy or something. But after a few hours of trying and a couple MA processes, it seems to have fully transferred everything.

My wife is very happy now.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

I was going to stay out of this. The last thing you needed to hear from me right now was
"Migration assistant worked perfectly the first time out."

I have no idea what limitations MA has, but it is good to hear that you finally got everything
transferred.

Look forward to hearing further observations about the new iMac.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ron,

I don't understand what went wrong the first time; it did half a job. And it's not documented well, especially for trying to transfer an account when the computer has already been partly setup.

It might have been easier if we had done MA first thing, during the out-of-box powerup as planned (I didn't due to to initial h'ware problems).

But we got it to work completely. And it did work very well. And in the end, even with confusions, it was certainly easier than any manual transfer process. It took four hours to do what would take me several evenings to do manually. It even transferred Adobe CS3 wholly, apps and settings and preferences and all.

As for the new iMac: my wife loves the bright glossy display! And she's appreciating the 24" size over her previous 20" monitor.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As the 24" iMac is my wife's machine, I don't have much experience with it. My "review" comments are tidbits I get from her. The sense I've got so far:
  • She loves the 24" glossy screen. The size, brightness, and saturation really wow her. (And she's a professional graphic designer, works with Pantone color chips, and is a hobbyist photographer.)
  • It's quiet. The dual G5 roared. This is silent, like a laptop, which is also likes. The external harddrive we bought is far louder (I my may have to move it).
  • She discarded the mouse and plugged in her faithful trackball. (trackballs, I do not understand)
  • She likes the looks of the new Mac keyboard, but doesn't really like its feel. She says it works badly with longer nails. We'll probably replace it with a MS Comfort Curve 2000. I have that and she prefers it.
  • After sorting out Migration Assistant issues, the migration was complete. I was worried about the Adobe software, since she's two upgrades beyond her original CDs and I didn't know how that would work. But it all came across. Her desktop and user account was 100% recreated.
  • The Command-Tab feature for task switching isn't working right. She's found reports in Apple Discussions about others have this problem. I don't know if it's specific to the 24" iMac, to having used MA, or just one of the various OS X glitches that people have.
  • I think it feels faster to her. She's not really commented on it, which is probably a good sign.
  • It remains to be seen whether the video card upgrade was worth the $150. If it pays off, it won't be until next year with Snow Leopard (and maybe Adobe CS5)
  • It takes up much less space. There's a big cubby opened up on the floor where the old tower went.
  • I personally don't care for the ergonomics of the non-height-adjustable big screen, but home offices are never perfect.
  • She wasted a night playing with Photobooth, enjoying her first ever iSight camera. I suggested she see if her best friend (out of state) could get a webcam and they could videochat. She's intrigued by that prospect.
This is the dilemma of modern computing. Stuff is big and fast and capacious. It mostly works well. There's not much to say about it. If you're a Mac user and need a new computer for personal or professional use, the iMac 24" is great. Get a non-Apple keyboard and mouse and connect a big honkin' external drive to it for backups, and you're off to the races.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If you could put bigger hard disks internally in them then I would never have made the jump from iMac to MacPro. They are wonderful machines, quiet, beautiful and amazing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've put drives in computers. I've plugged in USB drives. I'm pretty content now using external drives. It's easier and faster and the price difference is negligible. And when we upgrade a computer, we upgrade the external drive and pass the older one to the older computer. So my wife got a new 1.5 TB drive and I got her previous 500 GB drive. The cabling is a downside, true. And I hate cabling.

But overall, especially given the exorbitant cost of a Mac Pro, I think external drives are a neutral issue now. And a strong positive for "most" people.

Of course, I'm thinking about backup drives; not the case where you need the speed of an internal drive. But even then, perhaps FireWire is close to internal speeds?

I suggest doing a cost analysis on an iMac vs Mac Pro including additional drives and see if your opinion is swayed at all.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Oh, for most people, absolutely. For those of us burning 100GB a month+ in video and pictures, not so much. I've only got 4.5TB in storage right now and with one drive bay open and one drive pretty much cleaned off, can easily add another 4+TB internally no sweat. When bigger drives come out its a simple matter of moving stuff around and then a quick case open and close. To do that externally you'd need at least 4 separate drives all with their annoying wall warts.

Of course having 8 cores and 10GB of RAM is pretty handy for video rendering, and I can't wait to let Snow Leop chew on that.

I use external drives (FW 800!) for backup of course.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The new iMac is going well, and my wife gave me permission to wipe it and sell it. The eBay ad is up and the old G5 is boxed for shipping.

I've not really played with the iMac so I can't really review it. I wish I could get my wife to put together a mini-review...I'll ask her about that.

The challenge now that my wife also has a "modern" Mac is how to better deal with our duplicate data. We've got photos on both our computers. Finances are on my MBP because I've got Parallels / WinXP and there's not OS X finance app for us. So a long-term goal is to reduce needless duplications and cross computer usages.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A small comment on the new iMac.

Built-in WiFi is great. While normally networked by ethernet, we tore the office apart this weekend for painting. No problem, set up the iMac temporarily downstairs and then turn on its WiFi. Not loss of internet for my wife.

Keyboard: While I have utter disdain for these new slim keyboards, my wife has taken to it. I offered to buy her a new, sensible keyboard, but she's fully content with Apple keyboard. (she's a trackball user, though, and hasn't tried the mouse)

I'm constantly impressed by the screen's vibrancy. I like matte for my laptop, but after seeing the iMac, I'd be very tempted by glossy on a future purchase.

24" is definitely a great desktop monitor size today. And I think even if given the choice, she'd prefer a 24" to a 30" for daily use; going above 24" could be too much for the home-office desk setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.