What's new

But it's not really a Cube! (1 Viewer)

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
Hello! This is my first post in the gaming area... And what better way to make new friends, than posting another useless rant?
biggrin.gif

Here is the definition of a cube, according to Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary:
****cube, n. 1. (Geom.) A regular solid body, with six equal square sides.[/i]
And here are the GameCube's dimensions, as listed on http://www.nintendo.com/systems/gcn/gcn_specs.jsp
I just wish that console manufacturers would come up with more creative names for their machines. With Sega out of the picture for good, it looks like we are stuck with dull and unimaginative console names for the foreseeable future... Sega was the only company that seemed to put some thought into their names: Genesis / Megadrive, Saturn and Dreamcast were all pretty original choices, IMHO.
Cheers.
------------------
[ http://ugo.scarlata.it/?pid=about&cid=3
[Edited last by Ugo Scarlata on September 29, 2001 at 06:00 AM]

Nathan A

Second Unit
Well, I have it from inside sources that the big N was going to use "Gamebox" (much more accurate), but that name's likeness to X-Box forced them to change it. You will find a disclaimer on not only the Gamecube packaging, but in the manual and on the bottom of the "cube" itself. So, they are fully aware, and it really wasn't their fault.
I'm really looking forward to the Gamecube, too.

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
Are you serious about the disclaimers?!
laugh.gif

There are millions of other possible names that do not contain the words "box" or "station" in them... I blame Microsoft for a lot of things, but the name of the CameCube is not one of them!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The PSX isn't really a "station" and got its name because Sony was making a CD drive for the SNES, which would allow you to play SNES and PSX games, but they canned it, and made the PSX into its own console a few years later.
The original name for GameCube was rumored to be StarCube and then the online things were going to be called StarRoad (from Mario World).
Console names are not exactly in the same category as movie or book titles, so I see no real importance in them. Besides, the GCN is still tiny as hell.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
And the sega dreamcast doesnt cast dreams...
biggrin.gif

haha... and the Nintendo 64 isnt really... oh nevermind...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks