What's new

'BUFFY' & 'ANGEL' S5/S2 DVD Challenge (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Brian Timmermeister
I'm still watching.

These are great seasons of both shows. Angel really hit its stride in season 2.
"Shroud of Rahmon" tonight, a really fun episode!

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
That's the episode I watched tonight! That was a good episode. So was the episode Shadow of "Buffy" which I also watched.

Hi, guys. I'm still here and still watching. Tonight I finally got caught up on last week's required viewing. I've been really busy because of the holidays and working so much.

I'm sorry I don't post anymore. They finally firewalled message boards at my job and I rarely go online at home since I'm either working or watching all my shows.

And you haven't seen John around because his computer crashed on Xmas Eve and he doesn't have the cash to get it fixed right now... or buy a new one but he will soon. It might be a week or two but he'll be back.

I don't have the viewing schedule on this computer, I'll have to email it to myself tomorrow at work but this week we are supposed to watch:

WEEK OF 12/25/06
B5x09: Listening to Fear
B5x10: Into the Woods
B5x11: Triangle

And I know next week it will be all of Disc 3 of "Angel" Season 2.

Happy Watching!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Hey, guys, yep we're still here, it's just that my computer got fried on Christmas (got it repaired today and it's fine now) and Wendy has been fire-walled at work where she did most of her posting and she doesn't get on-line that much at home.

But we're still at it and Wendy and I are up to date this week, I hope you guys are still participating but if not it's cool.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I know the series enough to keep up without watching with everyone.

Reason being I waited until I was able to set up my computer next to the TV so I can watch on it instead of my computer monitor. Also, I wanted to watch it in pro logic surround sound, and now I can with my computer in the living room (connected to my brand new 5.1 receiver - my settop DVD player doesn't work anymore)

In other words, I wanted to make sure I get the best possible viewing experience. I've seen the show so often on 'normal' TV that I wanted this time to be different.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am still with you guys. I have just been sort of in limbo for a while. I got the entire Angel Series for X-mas and have just started watching them over from the beginning again with my parents. We finished the Buffy series and they wanted to immediately start watching Angel. Since they bought it for me, I couldnt say no. :)

We are halfway through season 1 and so I will be caught up in about a week or so. (we are watching 2 episodes a night)

I have already seen the entire series once, so even when I start to get ahead of you guys, I will still read and participate.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
It's been a while but I have finally got back to watching the series. I have fallen behind so will have to play catch up for a couple of weeks.

The Real Me:star::star:1/2
Definitely a feeling of setting up the threads of the season which makes the episode a little dull in places. I often found Dawn annoying in Season 6 and 7 yet the character is no different here really - I suppose it was down to us not knowing where her story was going to go in Season 5 and it made her a little more interesting. Harmony and her "minions" are funny though.

The Replacement:star::star:1/2
Took too long to get going for me but once Xander's double turns up, it gets better. Not up to the usual standards of comedy episodes centering on Xander - just ok.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
For those still hangin' in and lurking in the shadows ;) here's this weeks order...

WEEK OF 1/29/07
B5x18: Intervention
B5x19: Tough Love
A2x18: Dead End
A2x19: Belonging

BTW, I have a question about the episode of Angel called Epiphany, that house where Cordelia had a run-in with those cyclop demons looked very much like the same house used for Roger's house in the Lethal Weapon films, inside and outside, was this the same house? I'm dying to know more since it was VERY similar.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be surprised if it was, but I can't find any answer.

One production using a well-known location makes for great trivia though.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Thanks, Travis, the thread seems to have wilted on the vine but Wendy and I are still at it and right on schedual, we're on Buffy season 6 disc 2 and Angel season 3 disc 2.

Anyhoo, we're definitely going to pick up those comics. :emoji_thumbsup:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
BTW, count me in as one of the millions who are in love with Fred!
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
Amy Acker is so freakin' adorable I can't see straight and everytime she comes on-screen I get all doe eyed lol.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Well I would love to read what your overall opinion is of ANGEL seasons 1 and 2 - now getting into 3 as a first time viewer.

Keep in mind, comparing it to Buffy wouldn't be fair only because you were fond of that show for so long.

P.S. Several episodes suffer because of the cut off 'previously on' segments. They often lead directly into the episode, or the opening of the episode was based on something mentioned in that recap (so some episodes will just go 'BAM' and it's on without warning or a fade in)

For example:

Season 2 - 'Over The Rainbow' is missing half the opening of the teaser.

Season 3 - 'That Old Gang Of Mine' - it opens with Angel apologizing to Merl. What you don't realize is that it's a deception. The recap for that episode ended with a clip from 'Epiphany' in season 2 where Angel says to Darla:

'Next time I see you, I'm gonna have to kill you'

so, 'That Old Gang Of Mine' actually opens with Angel saying:

'I'm sorry how I treated you' - making it seem as though Angel is apologizing to Darla, until you see Merl instead. Since both the recap and opening line are cut off, the effect and joke are completely ruined, and in the case of first time viewers on DVD, you wouldn't have known. Which is unfortunate that Fox didn't care.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
When that change comes, you will find ANGEL evolving very differently. By Season's end, well I'll just say be glad you can watch them back to back, because the wait to see how each episode unfolded was as frustrating as the most intense episodes of "LOST". At least that's how it felt at the time.

The Hyperion Hotel is actually two locations:

The Los Alto Hotel and Apartments - home to many famous stars when it was built in the 1920's but I couldn't find anything about it being in other movies/shows.

The Ambassador Hotel - some of the areas of the hotel not commonly shown (you will see them in future episodes) such as rooms, the kitchen and swimming pool areas were shot there. ANGEL was the last television show to use it, while the movie "Bobby" was the last film to use it (for obvious reasons)

The garden of the hotel was actually first shown in the season 1 episode "I Fall To Pieces".

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Thanks for the info, still don't know where i've seen the building before but at least now I know what the name of it is.

Oh, I forgot to comment earlier about the last three eps of season 2, loved them! :laugh: They had certain elements of films that I love, namely Army of Darkness, Shrek and The Pincess Bride lol.

About Lorne, one of the things about his character that I love is his love of music, when he hit that high note to repell those creeps in that one episode I nearly lost it. :laugh:

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
^^ from 'Happy Anniversary', right? Where he and Angel are attacked by those pale-faced Lubber demons with the bad suits.

My favorite Lorne moments in those Pylea episodes:

-his reveal of his true name (Krevlornswath Of The Deathwok Clan) and its shorter 'Lorne' amuses Angel, as he is the only one who gets the "Bonanza" reference. Heck when I first saw the episode I understood the joke, and I was 19 at the time, with dim memories of Bonanza reruns.

-His mother. 'Nuff said. (I remember him from 'Married...With Children' where he was a member of "No Ma'am")

-How he totally freaked everyone out except Fred when his head started talking in the basket.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Angel is a tougher show for me than Buffy. With Buffy, every time they made a mistep they course corrected so that everything looked like it was part of the master plan. Angel wasn't so lucky and you can feel them backtracking when a story arc wasn't working.

So Buffy I loved all the way through. Angel I loved half of it. I adored the final season of Angel though so it went out on a high for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks