What's new

Blu-ray Disc vs HD DVD on amazon.co.jp (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Funny how Amazon sales ranks mean more when Blu-Ray is ranked higher. ;)

It's Japan so the results are not surprising.

I see even Japan isn't really embracing HD formats that much. It's funny to see companies battling tooth and nail over a market that will most likely be a niche.

C

Chris*Liberti

A niche was still making studios quite a bit of money in the days of the laserdisc. I hope Blu-Ray becomes the videophile format and HD-DVD for J6P.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Nope, like Laserdisc to VHS is more likely what he meant.

And I'd be okay with that. Mass market acceptance has led to some bad things for DVD (sub-par transfers, non-OAR transfers, etc.). Laserdisc had tons of titles out for it, and if BD could become a bit more successful than LD, but not mass market, I think I'd be okay with that.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Most BD releases now seemt to be as good (PQ-wise, many audio-wise too) as their HD DVD equivalent. But becoming a "videophile" format while HD DVD goes to attract J6P?

At the moment, I choose the HD DVD version if there's a choice. Some people will choose the other way. But this "hope" is ... weird!

Cees

Manus

Second Unit
" Some people will choose the other way. But this "hope" is ... weird!

I feel the same way too. There's nothing more depressing than the apparent disregard for or ignorance of the Drm or BD+ involved in Bluray and yet people seem to want to bury the format that doesnt include these ugly inventions in favour of a format whose hardware and software usually costs more :frowning:

Think I'll take some time out to revisit my Hitchcock Collection for a break :)

~M~

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The opposite is more possible given how the PS3 has been adopted. I personally hope they remain niche because you know J6p is already complaining about seeing black bars on their new HDTV. P&S to 16x9 is coming, it's a matter of time.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for raining on my parade, Shane...

It only hurts because it's true :frowning:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I know this is a possibility but really how many SD releases are only available pan and scan? Yeah, one is too many but it's not like a P&S release is particularly common and I doubt it will be a major problem for what is likely to be a niche format for a number of years ahead.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
We are currently experiencing the opposite of Pan and Scan. I find almost all of my friends who own 16x9 displays will stretch a 4x3 image to the 16x9 format, distorting the image. It drives me nuts that they can not adjust to pillar bars of 4x3 content. It is nearly as bad as Pan and Scan releases...

And then there are the HD stations (TNT anyone) who believe that if they broadcast a 4x3 image, they must broadcast it in a stretched version.

Kareem

Auditioning

Wouldn't it be great if every release came as OAR and the hardware would zoom+P&S on the fly for those who wanted it?

If only...

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I've never understood this argument. The most egregious offenses (i.e. the stuff that people are moaning over) are all contained within AACS. The only thing I've heard BD+ does is change keys on an individual basis, rather than for all players or models.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
BD+ is a layer on top of AACS, that makes the player play some code (a program or script if you wish) from the individual disc. It's an extra layer of the Blu-ray DRM system.

It can be anything, therefore. Even something you certainly want to happen inside your player. It will instruct the player how to decode the data on the disc, but it can do much more, you simply don't know what a given disc will do.
One, currently extreme, possibility would be to make a connection over the internet, if the player is so connected, and interchange some data.
Of course, the script could also be buggy (or being executed after been mis-read by the player).

For that reason, some people compare it to a version of a DRM system used by Sony BMG for a short time (on CD). That one was really bad, of course, when it lead to a stealthy installation on your PC of a rootkit-like construct.

No-one thinks this "disaster" will easily be repeated soon in any form on Blu-ray discs, but in essence the whole concept of a BD+ layer is something any consumer should oppose to strongly, IMO - and at least be very much aware of.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks