What's new

Black Friday Sales Thread (1 Viewer)

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I went to a couple of Wal-marts for the Gamecube but no luck I missed out at both by about a half hour each, and that was the only thing I really wanted. I ended up ordering it online from BB.com for 99 and it's already shipped. I did get a couple of cheap memory cards for it. Plus 3 DragonballZ movies for 5.88 each for gifts and a copy of Hong Kong 1941 for 5.88 for me.

Couldn't go early as I had to work myself (I work a helpdesk supporting retail chains) at 7am.

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
Went to Best Buy today,

Not a bad experience as I am use to this (3rd year in a row at BB). Picked up :

ATI Radeon 9600 $70.00 A/R (95.00 total)
Call of Duty $29.99
Lion King SE $11.99
Looney Tunes Golden Collection $41.00 ( was cheaper at DDD but needed it in hand today)

Raymond

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised to find at least 10 of the Liteon 411S DVD+/- R/RW burner drives still available at Circuit City around 4 p.m. today. For $90 after MIR, it's a damn good deal. I'm liking mine, and I paid an extra $10 to get it a week early, but it was a good $10 spent because I got to see which DVD media format was compatible with my DVD players, and that allowed me to buy blank DVD media with confidence today.

Christop_Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
I must advice you all to look over that officemax add, they have tons of things free, including a nice 256 DDR kingston memory card! but after you've taken everything that's free, you have alot of rebates to look over :frowning:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, Office Max gave everyone who bought any of the items with MIRs an entire xeroxed copied handouts of all the MIRs available to be filled out and sent in for the rebates by the customers. It seems very inefficient, but I guess their cash registers can't generate MIRs on the fly like other places (Best Buy, CompUSA come to mind).

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Well my day started at 0430 in front of KB Toy to try and score a $79 Gameboy. Passed a BB on the way with a modest line. After waiting a half hour in the rain (no umbrella, it wasn't raining when I left the house) I fight the crowds to the Gameboys, which they have plenty of, only to be informed that you have to purchase $100 of stuff from the main store to get that price. Video games don't count, see the fine print. I didn't have an ad, only heard about this so my bad. Decided to pass, headed to Walmart arriving about 0520, line about 100 ft long. Did I mention it was raining? After 35 minutes in the rain, pleasant conversations with the other early birders (think I was the only non-smoker though), about 5 minutes before they open, a bunch of people get out of their cars and head to the front of the line. That's when the mayhem ensued. The niceness was gone and it was every man for himself. I was actually able to get in, get my 20" flatscreen for $99, a leapad for $20 (will return the same one we bought for $40 last week) and a mixer for $5 that my dad asked me to pick up and was out of the store by about 6:30. Lot's of ugliness in there though. Off to Olympia to pickup a foosball table for $40 and ski goggles and gloves for the boys. Out at 0605, stop at BB on my way back home, line is already circled the front of the store twice and to the back. No way I'm waiting and I leave. Then home to make the battle plan for the rest of the day. Left out again at 0900 this time with wife and kids in tow to a shopping mall in Holyoke, MA about 70 miles away. Drop the wife and kids at the mall and head to CC next door to take a chance on a Gameboy/Mario bundle. 1030 and they have 2 left. I'm shocked. Back to the mall and Toys Rus to try for the Disney DVD's. Bupkus. Meet up with the family, lunch and off to Dick's Sporting Goods to get a winter coat for the wife. Score. My wife decides she wants to go up to the Yankee Candle factory in nearby (20 miles) Deerfield, MA to take in the festivities. About 1600 we get back to the mall and head in to BestBuy to get some games. Amazingly they had a few left and I managed to buy them right under the kids noses without getting arrested for shoplifting. Dinner at Friendly's and back to KB to chum for scraps. Just got home a few minutes ago. All in all not a bad day, I got the major items I was after and actually had a little fun with the crowds.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I went to Target to buy The Lion King DVD. I walked in and walked out in less than 5 minutes.

~T

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I went to walmart to get groceries and left with one of the cheapie apex 27" tv's for 130 bucks. Shoot me :)

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
I'm away from home, so in the new land I worked my way around... BestBuy was hit first because I needed the ad to PM at CC for some LionKings I got earlier in the week. BB was amazingly not packed like in the past, it was busy, but I was in an out in 5 seconds. I was on my way to CC and I got lost. I ended up at Toys'rus and picked up the ad there. $9.99 for LK and Sleeping Beauty?!?! Wow!

Off to CC and for the first time I was impressed by CC. The PM to $9.99 went off without a hitch. Gotta love cheap gifts for the little ones! The final prices for LK and Sleeping beauty were $8.99 each. Not bad! The trick here... go to customer service to have the PMs done kept me out of the outrageous lines. I wish I had thought about SACDs!!! AArgh.

I headed off to OD for a PM on a Liteon 411S I purchased earlier in the week. CC did have at least 4 of these when I left the store, but I figured it was better to have OD PM. That was a mistake, it cost more to have the PM done, some crazy tax thing. I also picked up a cheap LCD monitor for the HTPC/Garage PC, but I think it will be going back.

I ended up getting my wife a Sony Clie (sp?) at staples store. I was a bit pissed a the clerk for telling me I couldn't get the item PM'd to OD because they had a rebate. I didn't realize til later the rebate was the same rebate that staples had. The only difference was a $50 coupon vs a $22 instant rebate. So... I returned to have a manager get me the deal after all the items had sold out. That manager impressed me, the employee at 7am didn't.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Nothing at the local retail chains impressed me enough to wait in line for it but the only thing I really wanted I didn't hear about until it was almost over and that was the Buy 1 Get 1 free Doc Marteen shoe sale at Drysdales. By the time I got to the store, there weren't any left in my size.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
My Black Friday experience began when I arrived at the parking lot of an astonishingly overcrowded Best Buy at 6:30 AM. The line to get into the store was huge, bigger than any line I can ever remember seeing. And the store was already open! I saw that and decided it was just too much for me, so I left.

An hour and half later, I went to another Best Buy. There were no long lines to get in, so I figured this BB wouldn't be very crowded. I went to look for Simpsons: Season 1 (the only BB BF deal that interested me) and was relieved that there were still a few copies left. I picked up one and looked for the line so that I could pay for it. I quickly found the line... in the middle of one of the CD aisles! The line went around several other CD aisles and into the home apliances section. It amazes even me that I didn't leave the store after seeing this huge line. I ended up waiting in line for over an hour, but I don't regret it. I love TV DVDs, but can't really afford to get as many sets as I want, so a deal like this one for Simpsons: S1 was well worth the hassle. Thanks to a McDonalds Best Buy buck I had in my wallet, the set ended up costing me only $10.99 + tax. :)

My shopping for the day concluded when I got two CDs from Circuit City for $9.99 each. No long lines there, thankfully.

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
I also couldn't believe the line at 6:00am at Best Buy (Harrisburg PA, in our case). The $20 DVD players went fast, but I was able to get the Simpsons 1st season for $11.99, Chicago for the same price, a free (after rebate) pack of 100 CD-Rs, and a couple other things. Walked next door to Radio Shack and picked up 2 progressive scan DVD players for $30 each - not too shabby.

Some okay deals at Media Play, Target, Circuit City...

The lines were ridiculous, but it was a fun experience. (Once a year I'm willing to get up early and shop. The rest of the year, forget it.)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I was surprised to show up at Target at 3:30 PM and still see a couple Indiana Jones sets for $39.99, plenty of Lion King SE's for $11.99 and Sleeping Beauty for $12.99. They still had a huge number of Gangs of New York and Chicago DVDs too.

At Wal-Mart at 7:30 pm, there will still lots of copies of Daredevil, LOTR: TTT (theatrical), Lion King, and Bend It Like Beckham for $11 each.

Erwin

Stunt Coordinator
The best deal I got was from Walgreens. 2DVDs for $5. Here were the choices: "The Whole Nine Yards", "Cast Away", "Remember the Titans", "Shallow Hal". While Walgreens didn't have any, Walmart did, and they price matched it. I got them all except Remember the Titans (couldn't find it). $15 for 6 movies. I purchased double copies for gifts that would look more expensive than they really were :)
I also got "Anger Management" for $11.99
Lion King for $11.00
Sleeping Beauty for $12.99
Namco Museam for $9.99 on GBA

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks