What's new

biggass nasty SPIDER! (1 Viewer)

DaveMcS

Second Unit

ah yes good ole Diazinon. between that and Chlordane we had many pest free seasons in my house as a kid. Curse you federal gummint for banning the good stuff! :)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Not to stray from the spider thread, but I was referring to outdoor snakes.
Too many people, probably influenced by the Old Testiment, think snakes should be killed on sight.
Like all living creatures, except fire ants, they have a valuable contribution to make.

Darren_N

Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,

We moved to Indianapolis this past January so I haven't had to deal with spiders in the house yet. Though I did see a pretty big one in the garage on the day we moved in. Anyway, any recommendations on what type spray to use?

Regards,
Darren

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Damn, James! That is one scary looking mother.

If something comes in my house that was wasn't invited it's getting squashed, hacked, sprayed, mutilated, etc...

Outside is a different story.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

I'm not sure about Chlordane, but manufacturers quit making and selling Diazinon voluntarily. It was never banned or made illegal. You are free to use up existing quantities. There are replacements out. I'm not sure how effective they are, but I haven't heard any complaints.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

Welcome to Indiana Darren. As I said above, I haven't used any of the new all purpose bug sprays, but I haven't heard anything bad about them either. Lowes sells a product called Bug-B-Gone that they advertise as a Diazinon replacement. I would try that. Buy the concentrate and mix it in a gallon pump sprayer dedicated to bug spray. The bottle should have mixing instructions for spiders. It is probably more potent than for plant insects like aphids or beetles.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
James, the arrangement of those spinnerettes makes the spider look like it has a Transformers insignia.

I'm glad you let the babies go, though, because it looks like an Autobot insignia, and not a Decepticon insignia.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i just catch the spiders in a cup and throw them out the front door.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Which is fine for a normal run of the mill spider, but some of those fuckers have a leg span wider than cup. I can only imagine how fast they run *shivers*

Something about six or eight legss that just freaks me the hell out. Rodents I call deal with, but roaches and spiders send me up the the wall.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That's a very nice picture. I remember finding that same pictures years ago.

I really like some spiders. I've had a good history of spiders in my house. A few long stories short, when I was a kid I noticed a web between my wall and the bed post just below my head. I was going to knock it down and squash its occupant but noticed the web was dotted with fleas from the dog. Good spider! Another lived near my kitchen sink and I'd have to clean up the bug corpses often. Another good spider. People can laugh if they want, but when he died he got a buriel in the backyard. When my landlady painted the house she killed my lengend of spiders that live all around the outside of the house and my pest problem increased like you wouldn't believe. Just plan old house spiders on the outside are capable of taking down wasps with ease. Amazing insects, really.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i lve just outside of philly, i never see any spiders that are wider then a cup.
the ones i see are no bigger then maybe a fifty cent piece, scoop'em into a cup put a piece of paper on top and toss out the front door.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric

Wolf spiders, like the one in my house, could step on and squash those philly spiders.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I have a few spider stories. I remember a few years ago just before October (one of my favorite months) one of those beautiful large yellow/black writing spiders set up house just outside my big front window with a huge (and lucritive for him) web between my overgrown hedge and the window. I watched it everyday and felt it would add a lot to the month of October at my house. Before October 1st even got there I looked at the web one day and there was a huge hole in it. Whatever he caught didn't want to be caught I guess. Big juicy snack for a bird is my guess. I was PO'd to say the least. Birds were on my hit list for a little while after that. I haven't seen that type of spider in my yard since. I guess word got around. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks