What's new

Beverly Hillbillies Vol 2 in the works (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I had such a crush on Meredith MacRae when I was growing up! :b She used to come to Albany and participate in local telethons for the Cerebral palsy Center here.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well what's the deal here? I bought Vol 1 from MPI and I was going to Buy Vol 2. But Is Paramount going to issue Season sets? And if they do Will they Do Seasons 1 and 2 ? Or will they pick up at Season 3 and these Partials will be all there is out of BH?

I'll hold off on getting this till I determine what's happening.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Regardless of where Paramount starts off, these MPI sets are still worth getting for the extras. Also, the care that the Henning Estate put into these sets is very unlikely to be duplicated by Paramount.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dave: My understanding from some of the threads on Volume 1 is that Paramount does NOT have the rights to the first couple of seasons. MPI does, so they've put out these sets. Volume 1 & 2 PLUS the Christmas disc (which doubles up with Petticoat Junction) pretty much covers every episode from seasons 1 & 2.

If we are going to get them all...Paramount needs to pick up with Season 3 and take it from there.

And, Doug is right. These sets by MPI are done right. My favorite features are that the ENTIRE theme songs (including the extended Winston and Kellogg's add-ons) are included...which haven't been heard since the shows first aired. Awesome! :emoji_thumbsup: They've also included in-show commercials featuring the actors in character, etc.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Actually, it seems there would still be 17 episodes unreleased if Paramount began with Season 3.

MPI set one : 26 shows
MPI set two: 27 shows
MPI Xmas DVD: 2 shows

Total on MPI releases: 55 shows

Seasons One and Two total 72 episodes, which leaves 17 left.

Maybe they can do a combined "Rest of Season 2/Full Season 3 release"!!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah MPI still handles their TV Product like it's 1999. They License some good product, like the Honeymooners and my new Favorite, The Rifleman. But they really muck it up. The Rifleman is not using the original Openings, they went to a Best of Guest Stars Mentality that really Handicapped the later sets as episodes are all over the Map, really Disconcerting when young Mark McCain is Sprouting a Beard in the course of a few eps.. now in the Case of BH is it that they don't own those 17 episodes becasue of they do they should be on the sets.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This still does not supply a definitive answer to the issue of the remainder of episodes from Season 2....but, THIS POST from the main thread on BH Ultimate Collection - Volume 1 has a direct response from MPI about their plans.

It does seem unclear, however, if MPI has rights to any more (enough for a Volume 3?)..or if Volume 2 is the end for them and Paramount has control of the rest.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I think that it has been explained that MPI released all the public domain shows of the Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction. They made an agreement with the Paul Henning estate probably to use the estate's copies of the shows. Those shows that are not public domain are owned by Paramount. I think it is safe to say that if Paramount does release the Hillbillies , they will not include sponsor ads
as MPI did. I don't think any major movie or TV company has included cigarette ads in their TV on DVD releases. We haven't seen Fred and Barney telling us that Winston tastes good like a cigarette should or Lucy and Desi telling us how mild Philip Morris is. The Hillbillies cigarette ads are truly rare.
I don't think Paramount is under any obligation to start where MPI left off. However if they start with a complete season 1, sales would probably be less then expected since those interested have probably bought the MPI sets. Poor sales might stop latter seasons .

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What a weird situation.

You would hope that some of the studios would look at the product MPI and the Henning estate have created and take some cues about how to go about putting out a fan-friendly set. No, they're not perfect...but they're pretty darn good...and, in some ways, better than most.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
OK, let's see. Volume One ended with "Granny's Spring Tonic". Volume Two begins with the next episode "Jed Pays His Income Tax" and ends with the 2nd season episode "The Race For Queen".

So the unreleased episodes would begin with the 2nd season's "Lafe Returns". And yes, there are 17 episodes left in the second season unaccounted for. So do we know for sure if this is where Paramount's ownership takes over ? In the middle of a season ? Strange.

And have Paramount said anything about releasing the rest or is that just speculation ? If they do indeed pick up where MPI left off I'd hope they would do a set with the 17 remaining episodes from season two and call it something like a "spotlight" collection or perhaps name it Ultimate Collection Volume 3.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
"So the unreleased episodes would begin with the 2nd season's "Lafe Returns". And yes, there are 17 episodes left in the second season unaccounted for. So do we know for sure if this is where Paramount's ownership takes over ? In the middle of a season ? Strange "

Not so strange really. At the time the episodes were made copy write law said that the copy write had to be renewed after 28 years or the work would go into public domain. Someone at Viacon or Filmways or whoever owned the series in 1990 ( 1962 + 28 =1990) did not renew the first season and part of the second season . When whoever was in charge realized this they started renewing the copy write with "Lafe Returns" Paramount owns all the episodes of the Hillbillies including the PD ones . It is just that anyone can put out the PD ones. Its just like Warner Bros releasing "Till The Clouds Roll By", a film in PD that has been released by many companies. Warner will say their copy has been restored from the original negative etc (all of which is true). I am sure if
CBS/Paramount releases the Hillbillies they will say that this is the first time in has been restored from original negative for the clearest sharpest picture. It just will not have any extras.

"And have Paramount said anything about releasing the rest or is that just speculation ?"
Per TV shows On DVD website Paramount has set up a folder on their press website labeled Beverly Hillbillies. The folder is currently empty but per TV shows on DVD the fact that there is folder usually means that DVDs are in the works

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4483

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'd bet paramount would start with Season 1..although I am one consumer who is pleased with the MPI handiling of the PD episodes and wish they would recognize them as quality work and pick up where MPI left off.

But, why would they?! There's a buck to be made and its a marketable product. I am guessing Paramount's marketing budget is a bit larger than MPI's. Not only can they make the "original negative/source material" claim...but they would also figure that completists and collectors would want to have the sets in similar packaging and presentation.

Like Gary said in an earlier post, the concern would be that Seasons 1 & 2 might not sell that well because of the quality of the MPI sets and that may deter Paramount from finishing the series.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Has anyone found one of these yet? If so, what vendor?

I haven't done an exhaustive check yet...but a couple of stores (including my closest Wal-Mart) didn't have any.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I just can't imagine Parmount turning around and releasing the same episodes yet again as that would be bad business. Most harcore fans will own the Ultimate Collections by then like I do. My fear is that they will jump ahead of the remaining season two eps and start with season 3. And if that happens I'm going to have to cut a switch.

If you can't find it at Wal-Mart that's probably because my family members have bought all the copies. We need something to watch when we're not digging our root cellar.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Nah not a one at retail but it's on it's way too me from DDD. I don't even bother looking for TV Sets in stores anymore. Like I know no one will carry the B&W Version of Jeannie. Just order up online.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm still looking for this at my local B&Ms and haven't found one.

I know many of you ordered yours from on-line vendors.

But, I'm still surprised how difficult this has been to find in a store. My local Best Buy which had NO BH titles around the release date...now has a healthy supply of Volume 1 of the Ultimate Collection. :rolleyes

Something tells me when I decide I really HAVE to have it...I'll be turning to DDD.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
I've never bought a set in a store so I don't really have a problem. Everything I want I pre-order from amazon or DDD 3 months in advance. Who has time to go running around to stores, to do what, maybe save $2? Although in stores there's tax so where is the savings? Sounds like a waste of time and effort if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks