What's new

Blu-ray Review Better Off Dead Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
But didn't Cusack do another movie with Steve Holland???? I doubt he would have done that if "Better Off Dead" had been so bad for his career.
I think he was already committed to "One Crazy Summer" when the "Better Off Dead" stuff was going down.
So Cusack has a snit fit over BETTER OFF DEAD but when he takes a shot at making a comedy the result is HOT TUB TIME MACHINE? Give me a break.
For the record, I liked "Hot Tub Time Machine" (however, it was more the supporting characters that made that film)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
From the link above:
But we cut out about five really over the top, stupid jokes that were in there that you would never miss. I loved them, but they were really stupid. And at the next screening it was like 99% of everybody thought it was great.
I wish this stuff could have been included. Oh well.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
WillG said:
Wow. The above linked story went into a little more detail than what I had read. Cusack is a good actor, but what a Baby Bitch!
Yeah, I agree. Especially considering he filmed the critically acclaimed 'Say Anything' a few years after the Holland films.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Buck up little campers....

My copy arrived ahead of street date and I watched

it today.

Looks damn good on Blu-ray. In fact, looks like a totally

different film from all the times I watched it on VHS or on

cable television.

Still one of my all-time favorite comedies, though its
laugh impact has sort of diminished with age. Funny how

you don't laugh as hard at the things you did when you were

26 years younger. Then again....you know how many times

I have seen this film?! I could recite it in my sleep.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Originally Posted by scribe1964 , linked in my previous post:

Then he went off to do some other movie, and when he came back he agreed to do One Crazy Summer. Which I had written a rough draft of, and he didn't think it was that funny. And I just said, "I'm just gonna let you guys do your thing, and make it funnier when we get there." And I guess they paid him a lot of money.

So this is short of a shocker. but we all got up to Cape Cod, and the night before we started shooting One Crazy Summer, we screened Better Off Dead for everyone that was up there because it was mostly the same crew, and a lot of the same cast.

...So we're all watching the Better Off Dead screening that night, and John walked out of the movie. About 20 minutes into it, he walked out, and he never came back. The next morning, he basically walked up to me and was like, "You know, you tricked me. Better Off Dead was the worst thing I have ever seen. I will never trust you as a director ever again, so don't speak to me."

...He was just really upset. And I said, "What happened?! What's wrong?!" And he just said that I sucked, and it was the worst thing he had ever seen, and that I had used him, and made a fool out of him, and all this other stuff.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
So, he hates doing absurd comedies......then why the hell did he do 'Tapeheads', and 'Being John Malkovich'? And for the record, 'Hot Pursuit' sucked.

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
And although I laughed a lot, Hot Tub Time Machine is pretty bad too. Oh! and: "Go that way.... really fast. If something gets in your way.... turn. "

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Picked this up @ Walmart yesterday and watched it last night. I love this movie to bits, even if it turns predictable at the end. I have One Crazy Summer on DVD, but would love a BD.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Finally watched this last night and enjoyed it. It did hold up well for me, but in truth I've maybe only seen this 3 times since its release so I'm not at the "able to recite" level like Ron. Overall I thought the PQ/AQ was quite decent to good. However, what happened at the end credits? That looks like it was pulled from a VHS master!?!?! Luckily the rest of the film looks good but I was really taken aback by how bad the end credits and the final exploit of Badger Myer (won't give it away for those who haven't seen it) look.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks