What's new

Best or very good region free blu ray player?? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
schan1269 said:
Some BD players (mostly Panny and LG) have the ability to default to the main disc menu.
It is not universal to all discs, nor all the players.
Is there a way to access the region settings on a panny hd player?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Not on the two that I've had. Your best bet is to get one of the modified Sony or LG's from 220-electronics for ~$150.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
I live in the UK and have a mate here who runs two Oppos side-by-side; one set to region A, the other region B. Bloody expensive way of doing it and he still can't play region C BDs!

I, on the other hand, went down this route:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/toshiba-bdx1200-regionfree-dvd-and-multiregion-bd.1504741/

I bought a new Toshiba BDX1200 for £40 (!!!) three years ago, downloaded the hack and it's played every disc from around the world (most of my collection consists of imports) with no problems ever since. I love this player; I've a 104" screen in my home cinema and to my eyes the image is every bit the equal of his Oppos. It is, of course, completely region free for DVD and requires simply entering a four digit code to switch BD codes. I can't recommend it highly enough. I'd say find a good used or unused one on eBay or similar. It wouldn't surprise me if Toshiba's current models were hackable in exactly the same way too, as well as there being other lower-priced brands that do the same.

My point is: perfect, true region free DVD/BD playback needn't cost the earth - just think positively and do your homework!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Peter Apruzzese said:
Not on the two that I've had. Your best bet is to get one of the modified Sony or LG's from 220-electronics for ~$150.
So lg also needs a mod? A video I saw showed how to set the menu to other regions to play blu Rays. Not sure on pal DVDs though.

Cost is an issue for me. I'm looking to get a region free blu Ray player under $90.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Osato said:
So lg also needs a mod? A video I saw showed how to set the menu to other regions to play blu Rays. Not sure on pal DVDs though.

Cost is an issue for me. I'm looking to get a region free blu Ray player under $90.
Every BD player needs a mod.

Period.

Supposedly the Seiki(Sears/Kmart) is out of the box able to access the service menu. Tons of people buy them. They are cheap. Will it be region free "forever" like a modded Bombay/220?

No idea.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
schan1269 said:
Every BD player needs a mod.
Period.
Supposedly the Seiki(Sears/Kmart) is out of the box able to access the service menu. Tons of people buy them. They are cheap. Will it be region free "forever" like a modded Bombay/220?
No idea.
Here is the lg bd player video that I saw.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Osato said:
Here is the lg bd player video that I saw.

Yes, but if you read down the comments you'll see the originator has had problems trying to play other region discs with that player and no longer uses it.

I'm afraid this is a case where you'll have to bite the bullet. I was able to get a second hand LG (modified by 220) right here in the HTF classifieds.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I love talking against a brick wall.

You already have your ootions.

Period. End. Of. Story.

Bit more about this Seiki...

They don't list BD players on their website(that was a few weeks ago. Maybe that has changed. I don't care).

It has a composite video output. No BD player is supposed to have one. It does not work for BD anyway(you get a warning trying to use it for BD. Works for DVD)

It is an uber cheap piece of crap. Noisy. Absolute joke of a remote.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Osato said:

LOL, this thread is 3 years and 8 months old. Just stuffing a fiver in a sock every month would have netted you over $200 towards the end goal.

Not to be rude or anything, but how important is this to you, really, if you've waited this long and still can't justify spending even $100 on a solution?

As others have said, "region free" isn't and never will be as simple as a push of a button on an out-of-the-box player.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Jason Charlton said:
LOL, this thread is 3 years and 8 months old. Just stuffing a fiver in a sock every month would have netted you over $200 towards the end goal.

Not to be rude or anything, but how important is this to you, really, if you've waited this long and still can't justify spending even $100 on a solution?

As others have said, "region free" isn't and never will be as simple as a push of a button on an out-of-the-box player.
Very sound logic.
I researched region free several years ago, but gave up on it due to the cost of a mod player. I have a working bd player and at the time I would have had to buy a mod player for 1 TV show set. In addition I have the show on dvd already. So I gave up on trying to get the persuaders set on blu Ray and this also meant I didn't need a mod bd player. $200 is $200 and if there was no purpose for having a mod player then why buy one.

I also thought at the time that given time the show would be picked up by a United states distributor for release here. Again, I would not need a region free blu Ray player.

Recently I was watching my persuaders set again and it peaked my interest. I also have been following the bd news on the avengers series as well. Knowing that this is another series I would be interested in owning on blu Ray now means there is more than one region free bd show that I would like to own.

So that is why I currently have a renewed interest.
I was hoping there was a solution for using my panasonic player or that by this time there was a blu Ray player that could be modified via service menu. I guess the videos that I saw online of moding players are a hoax. During the past few years my career, spending income,life, budget and dependents have changed as well. I was selfishly hoping for a cheap solution.

So bottom line the only way to view region locked titles is to buy a mod player.
Which will cost around $150, but this is the best way to go.

Thanks for the posts and information.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
I have the LG BD 640 Blu Ray player.

I recently bought a few region 2 BDs and was looking forward to my region-free player delivering for me.

I followed the same instructions that schan1269 demonstrated above for his LG player. Because the discs are from England, I entered GB (for Great Britain, per the area code listing in the player's manual).

No go. The BDs say they are Region 2, but the area codes are per country England is Region 2, right? Is there something more I can do?

Anyone else find that selecting what seems like the correct area code gets zero results?

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
If the instructions said anything more I would not be posting. They say to change area codes. There is zero reference to region A or B or C. Hence my query...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Virgoan said:
If the instructions said anything moreI would not be posting here. They sat to change area codes. There is zero reference to region A or B or C. Hence my query...
Well...

Did you forget to include the OPTIONAL Blu-ray multi-region when you bought it?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks