What's new

Best Buy to close 50 stores in restructuring. Do you still shop at Best Buy? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I still shop and purchase at BB but nly when they are the cheapest or only option. Although even the exclusives show up everywhere eventually.
I worked at the local a few years ago over the holidays. It was fun for a while but after a few months it ws very boring. So I quit.
We were encouraged to sign people up for the cc and sell subs to magazines at checkout.
All the years of shopping at BB I have never been accosted by them about Comcast or NF or any other outside service.
I like going there to browse and would hate if they went under.
When I worked there I spent thousands due to the huge discount but never spent close to that until this past calendar year when I managed to spend over $2500 somehow and was granted silver rewards membership.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I bought 3 appliances today, HHGregg beat BestBuy by $100 on each of the three off Best buy's 'Special' sale price.
Nomally I buy everything at Amazon, but even I am not going to buy a washing machine mail order if I can help it =)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Kevin I'm not sure what is going on at your store but in any location I have been they always have new releases for a sale price.
The web site is easy to use for low price items. Just use be drop down to show items lowest price first and all the $7.99 titles will show at the top.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Apple shows retail electronics can succeed.
Best Buy isn't failing because of the Internet alone. They aren't excellent in any aspect of serving the consumer: price, service, selection, and experience.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
TonyD said:
Kevin I'm not sure what is going on at your store but in any location I have been they always have new releases for a sale price.
The web site is easy to use for low price items. Just use be drop down to show items lowest price first and all the $7.99 titles will show at the top.
it was pretty easy until they changed it. now its much harder to find the 7.99 items
Jacob

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
There selection is nothing to brag about and usually if it isn't on sale it is more expensive at Worst Buys. There customer service is what I consider to be some of the worst. As far as audio/video goes is there anyone that has a worse selection than BB? There selection on pc games, blurays, bluray players, HDTV's, Receivers, CD Players, Speakers and Sub Woofers, TV Stands, Audio Racks totally sucks. Even there brand selection is not very big on top of that so is there any real reason to shop at BB? I do not want to see anyone loose there jobs but for example here in California, people should have supported Good Guys instead of the huge joke that is BB or as I call them worst buy. In May I intend to buy a new blu-ray to upgrade my 1st generation Sony blu-ray and I will not be going to BB to get it. I will actually go to a specialty a/v shop in Pasadena, CA called Sound Factor to buy a nice Denon Blu-ray to go with my Pioneer Elite SC-05 that I picked up at a local pawn shop. But in short I am not surprised that they are closing stores and scaling back. Actually I am surprised they where not forced to do this years ago!

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
DaveF said:
Apple shows retail electronics can succeed.
Best Buy isn't failing because of the Internet alone. They aren't excellent in any aspect of serving the consumer: price, service, selection, and experience.
Yes, because having one overpriced model of each product that you have to stand in line for hours to get is a perfect counter example to Best Buy. It's not a relevant comparison. Apple's success is that they meet the limited needs of their target market. It's no different than any other single-brand store you can find in any mall.
Best Buy's failure is they are out of touch with the customer.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I've never heard of this before and if it is true, it would certainly level the playing field for everyone as there couldn't be any "price leaders" to get people into the store, be it physically or virtually. It doesn't reference how long something like this is in affect (i.e. is it the first 30 day it is on market?).
This is a very typical practice in the CEDIA market.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I do not shop at Best Buy anymore. They used to be a favorite store of mine. I will go there every once in a rare while, but I usually don't make any purchases.
Target, Costco and Amazon are pretty hard to beat these days.
I do like that Best Buy is doing some exclusive blu rays. However, I have not purchased any of them yet.

Jim Al

Auditioning
Real Name
James Alexander
Yeah but if you live in an apartment complex, where sometimes UPS does bonehead things like leave your stuff out where everyone can see, there's something to be said about the security of an instant purchase.
That makes me think of the commercial for the Kindle Fire, I think it is. It shows a young woman walking towards the front door of her house where she can see an Amazon package propped against the front door. A lot of places that thing wouldn't have lasted five minutes before it disappeared.
I still shop at B&M stores such as Best Buy quite a bit. Of course, I live in Canada and Amazon.ca doesn't have nearly the selection of merchandise Amazon.com or Amazon.uk have. Their prices aren't that great either.
One of the best reasons I think to shop local is if there's a problem with a purchase you can go back to the store and deal with it in person. You don't have to rely on shipping things back and forth or communicating by e-mail or telephone.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
There's nothing indicating the woman actually lives there either.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
TheBat said:
it was pretty easy until they changed it. now its much harder to find the 7.99 items
Jacob
I'm not sure what you guys are doing on their site but I just went in there. Click on movies. Then clicked on the right onto blu rays. Then from there on the top click price from $7-10.
Then click priced lowest to highest and there they are all the 7.99 movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks