What's new

Beck's new album 'Guero' (1 Viewer)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Does anybody have this yet? I've had it on repeat since I bought it yesterday, it's just excellent. It really reminds me of Odelay. So far my favorite tracks are Emergency Exit and Hell Yes, but there are many standouts on this album. Beck surprises me with great music and lyrics everytime.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Hmpf. I dunno. It's not as "fun" as the other albums.

Hell Yes, Que Onda Guero, E-Pro, and Girl are also on a "re-mix" EP that came out a little while back and they sound completely different and better as far as I am concerned.

The EP has a lot of old-school 8-bit sounds in it that I think are a lot of fun.

Justin_P

Stunt Coordinator
Picked up the special edition at midnight last night at Easy Street Records here in Seattle. Haven't had a chance to listen to the entire thing yet (I got through a good chunk of the main album), since there is so much content on it to absorb with the different mixes and all.

A hint to everyone: BUY THE SPECIAL EDITION NOW! Do not miss this package! It is TOTALLY worth the extra bread and is probably the best special edition of an album I've ever bought. Between the wonderful hardcover book, the 3 bonus tracks, four bonus remixes, and the DVD-A (with music video type things for the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix - not the ones you'd see on TV, though) this is an amazing value. From my tinkering last night, the DVD-A was worth the money by itself.

Run, don't walk to buy it now!

Justin

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Yes, DVD-A is a must buy. Of course I haven't bought it yet, but I'm going to.

I've heard the album and it's good. Just a couple songs that don't do it for me.

CAn't wait!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Glad to hear it is good, I picked up the special edition at Best Buy earlier ($14.99 - but have not listened) and at that price point it is hard to pass up hi-rez with bonus tracks.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If you order the double disc set through bestbuy.com you can get it for $14.99. If you do store pickup, you don't pay shipping.

_Matt_L_

Auditioning
Real Name
M
I ended up buying the DVD-A version and the CD because (begin rant) nowhere on the DVD-A packaging does it even mention that it comes with a CD version too (end rant).

Of course that's really not too big of deal as the CD was a whole $10. Not to mention it's too late to return it because I opened it up for the drive home from the store. Oh well, guess I should have looked online first to see what was what before I went down to the store with my unchecked impulses.

DustinTaj

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dustin
I bought this thing as soon as it was available for in-store pickup through best buy. The funny thing is, this is the 2nd time I've purchased something this way via best buy and it's been cheaper to buy it online for pickup both times. The sticker on the DVD says $19.99. It was $14.99 online. Amazing.

And, my disk said right on the cover that it included the CD AND a DVD. Maybe they all didn't say that.

So far, I'm really liking this album. Very good surround mix as well. I've only given one listen through, but it's already high-up on my favorites list (which may change, who knows).

For the price, it's a great value.

I only wish the CD was a HDCD like most of his last ones were. Oh well.

-DD

George See

Second Unit
I think mine had a sticker on the front that said CD and DVD but I could easily see that sticker being left off on some. Do you get different artwork in the cd booklet at least?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I screwed up and bought the standard cd. What does the deluxe packaging with the SACD hybrid and DVDA look like? Borders in Seattle only had the standard release.

_Matt_L_

Auditioning
Real Name
M
haven't compared art work yet, just picked up the stuff yesterday night. If the yellow price sticker thing at best buy was the thing that said CD and DVD then I just completely missed it.

As for the packaging of the DVD-A release. It's a white book essentially. About the size of a DVD case.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Apart from the (1) standard cd release, are there two other releases?:
(2) cd + DVD-video with 5.1 sound
(3) cd + DVD-Audio

Thank you in advance.

DustinTaj

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dustin
Apart from the standard CD release there is 1 other release:

Deluxe version with CD + DVD.

The DVD in the deluxe version contains a dolby digital 5.1 mix, a 2 channel mix, a DVD-A 48-24 hi-res 5.1 mix, and a 48-24 hi-res 2 channel PCM mix.

Plus you get the 52 page art work and the CD contains 7 extra tracks - 3 remixed and 4 non-album inclusions.

To my knowledge there is no SACD version for the USA, just the 2 I mentioned.

Like someone else said, RUN, don't walk to get the deluxe version (buy it at bestbuy.com for in-store pickup for $14.99)

-DD

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Well, I got the Deluxe Edition, but the DVD-Audio doesn't work at all on my Pioneer 563 -A. I'm suprised because I've never had a problem on this unit.

Has anyone else heard of any problems?

DustinTaj

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dustin
Not heard of any problems with this disk, but it's too early to tell. I can't play Porcupine Trees "In Absentia" on my toshiba. BUT, I made a copy of it with my DVD-burner in my computer and the copy plays perfectly! So, if you have a burner, try backing it up and see if that one plays. I bet it does.

Have you all watched the 2 videos (easter eggs) on the disk. I thought the first one was pretty funny. The 2nd one has 2 "angles" and the 2nd angle is kind of neat, but the first one's better.

I just realized last night that you could change the video presentation of the songs with the angle and subtitle buttons. Neat-o. LOL.

-DD

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I haven't played the DVD-A yet from my set, just the CD. I like the album and it's See Change from last album. I think it's mis-named. I would of gone with somethin' like Hip Grooves For Avant Guarde Sci-Fi Films.

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
Where do you find the easter egg?
I was a little disappointed the "real" videos weren't included, but now I understand they're hidden on the disc.

DustinTaj

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dustin
Hi Bill...Just noticed you were from Indiana too.

Anyway, the Easter eggs are on 2 pages. The first is on the main menu where you can select visual mix or speakers...etc. Instead of scrolling up and down, try and go "right" and you will go up to the top to that funny looking thing in the upper right hand part of the screen.

The second is on the "speakers" page. Do the same thing as above. The 2nd video has 2 "angles" to it.

-DD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks