What's new

Barnaby Jones - The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
The revolving casting door of familiar faces in all these QM shows doesn't bother me, I love it when Bradford Dillman or Gary Lockwood show up for the third time or whatever... :cool: High class classic performers make these crime shows as great as they are.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
The revolving casting door of familiar faces in all these QM shows doesn't bother me, I love it when Bradford Dillman or Gary Lockwood show up for the third time or whatever... :cool: High class classic performers make these crime shows as great as they are.
My two favorites are Bradford Dillman and Clu Gulager. They both appeared in the same episode on another classic Quinn Martin series, The F.B.I.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
HenryDuBrow said:
I recall reading where Jack Webb was asked about the actors he repeatedly used on Dragnet. His view was that the public wouldn't notice, and back in the days before DVD, he was right. I never did.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
HenryDuBrow said:
This is one reason I love QM productions so much, because I love seeing the guest stars reappear and grow through the years, both psychically and as actors.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Just looking at the ratings on Amazon, I'm confused. I've seen samples of the Hotel set. Its quality is comparable, if not worse, than the Barnaby Jones set. Several reviewers speak of returning it (something I didn't see in the Barnaby reviews). And yet it is rated more than a full star higher than Barnaby Jones. Assuming all things are equal, I just don't get it. Why the backlash against Barnaby Jones?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Carabimero said:
Just looking at the ratings on Amazon, I'm confused. I've seen samples of the Hotel set. Its quality is comparable, if not worse, than the Barnaby Jones set. Several reviewers speak of returning it (something I didn't see in the Barnaby reviews). And yet it is rated more than a full star higher than Barnaby Jones. Assuming all things are equal, I just don't get it. Why the backlash against Barnaby Jones?
It could be because (and I've seen a few of them from the second season) the Hotel episodes seem to be all full-length, same as when they were on ABC from 1983-88.

hypnohighball

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sayers
I jut saw the prices of what the original Season 1 DVD set is going for and it's insane...from 75 bucks on Amazon via a third market seller to 250.00 on Ebay. Just an insane price for a 13-episode first season of any show, let alone this one.
I just looked at Ebay and prices start at $27 and stop at $98 for buy-it-now sales. Amazon starts at $28 and tops out at $49. You are talking about season 1 of Barnaby Jones on dvd, correct?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
hypnohighball said:
I just looked at Ebay and prices start at $27 and stop at $98 for buy-it-now sales. Amazon starts at $28 and tops out at $49. You are talking about season 1 of Barnaby Jones on dvd, correct?

Yes, he is talking Barnaby Jones season 1. However, your numbers on Amazon are for used copies. New are listed for $75, as reported.

pegward

Grip
Real Name
Peggy
HenryDuBrow said:
I don't mind when stars of that quality show up, to me it is when Bonnie Ebsen shows up again and again. LOL! She really can't act at all. One of my favorites is Geoffrey Lewis since he would play both bad guys and good guys and then sometimes in between.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
HenryDuBrow said:

My favorite bit of QM coincidental casting is Anne Francis and Charles Drake. Both appeared in THE FUGITIVE's "The One That Got Away" and THE INVADERS' "The Saucer" with coincidentally Drake playing a fleeing embezzler and Anne Francis as his wife. One uses a boat, the other an airplane, but both get tangled up in Richard Kimble's/David Vincent's life. Too bad they couldn't get Erskine in on the case...

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't mind the syndicated episodes as much when the tag scene is still there, but when it's not, and the final edit is very abrupt, and the sound cut off without a fade out, that is unsettling and a bit unsatisfying.. If more care had been taken to make the edits less abrupt, it would be nicer to my eyes and ears. Still, I am almost through season three and continue to enjoy this set mightily. I haven't for a minute regretted paying $149 for it.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I've been re-watching S1 this weekend with my son, and he and I have enjoyed it immensely. He asked why I had not purchased the entire series yet, so I explained the whole edited deal. He said it wouldn't bother him if some of them were edited. What to do, what to do? I love the series; it brought back memories of watching it brand new on Thursday nights as well as reruns during the week on another station. Is it better to have most of something or none of it? I just hate, absolutely hate, to give VEI my business, letting them believe that I support the notion of an inferior product, and that's what it is to me is an inferior product when you have that much chopped up. Danged if you do, darned if you don't!

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Precisely my own feelings, Ron.

But we can either refuse to buy the VEI release, which will mean that Barnaby goes no further.

Or we can give this release our financial support, and send emails to VEi and CBS, telling them how much we enjoy the series. CBS might reconsider. (I know that it's unlikely, but at least there's a chance.)

andyjharper

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
I feel your pain. Some of these episodes have edits that are SO obvious I want to know what was in the part I missed. There was one scene at the end of one episode that referenced an earlier conversation in Barnaby's office that I suspected involved a key plot point. Well, that whole office scene was missing. Also, I was watching an episode today where the tape skipped so the dreaded VHS line moved up the screen real quick. The problem is I love the show even more than I remember so if this is the best I get, then it's better than nothing. I'm drifting off to sleep to Barnaby Jones at night. I set my tablet on my night table, fire up an episode I've already seen, set the sleep time on my Android tablet, and drift off to sleep. Reminds me of when I was a kid watching re-runs at midnight.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Something I noticed on that Hotel release is that the chapters are set evenly at 10-min. intervals (outside of the last chapter of each episode, which contained the last 8 min. or so). Is it the same way with the Barnaby Jones release?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
bmasters9 said:
Something I noticed on that Hotel release is that the chapters are set evenly at 10-min. intervals (outside of the last chapter of each episode, which contained the last 8 min. or so). Is it the same way with the Barnaby Jones release?
I'll check when I watch tonight's episodes.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Here are the fronts and back of the individual seasonal packages within the Hotel release:

Attachments

• hotel1.jpg
    hotel1.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 39
  • hotel2.jpg
    hotel2.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 40
  • hotel3.jpg
    hotel3.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 38
  • hotel4.jpg
    hotel4.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 38
  • hotel5.jpg
    hotel5.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 45

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
hypnohighball said:
What's with the Hotel posts? I thought this was a Barnaby Jones thread?
You're absolutely right-- that post I posted yesterday belongs in the general VEI thread about Cannon, Barnaby Jones, and Hotel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks