1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Atlantic Tech (outlaw 950 clone) prepro review now out

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ted Kim, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

I didn't see anyone posting on this. I just got my copy of Home Theater magazine yesterday and it had a review of the Atlantic Tech prepro. The review is by Steve Guttenberg, who I consider my favorite reviewer who writes for that mag. So keep your eyes peeled for it if you are interested in either the Atlantic Tech or the Outlaw 950.

2. Ted Kim

Doh, I made a typo in the title. Sorry, but you get the picture.

(admin note: fixed typo in thread title)

3. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

Can you provide us with a brief synopsis? Overall, was it thumbs or down?

4. Ted Kim

Overall, it was a thumbs up. He reviewed it with a B&K amp and the Outlaw 755 amp. The value rating was about an 85, I can't remember exactly. However that is with a list price of $1699. The Outlaw 950 should get a much better value rating since its essentially the same piece but at $899.

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Ted, did the author even address the obvious question: is it worth it to spend the extra $ for the Atlantic Tech pre-pro (or that other "identical" model) as opposed to the Outlaw 950?

This has been the subject of such controversy, and truly the price difference is too extreme and the two units appear too identical for this issue to not have been addressed. What's the word?

6. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Did they mention anything about how it sounded with the B&K amp vs the Outlaw amp. I am interested in that particular peice of information as I have a B&K amp and would be interested in a prepro upgrade somewhere down the line.

7. Ted Kim

8. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

9. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

What has HT Magazine ever given a thumbs down on anything? I haven't picked up the mag in a couple of years so I'm just curious.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

If it is indeed rated an 85, that seems low to me compared to other reviews of "good" (and "bad") components in that mag. That sure isn't a "glowing" review...
    My copy isn't here yet though! [​IMG]

11. Ted Kim

OK I've got the review in front of me this time. My memory was a bit off, value is 86 not 85.

Here are the scores:

Build 86
    Value 86
    Features 92
    Performance 92
    Ergonomics 82

For HT, he says the "uninhibited dynamics are scarily good"

He wishes the subwoofer level could be set for different levels with DD, PDLII and stereo, because he had to frequently adjust sub output levels when switching modes.

He ends with "The P-2000 is undeniably a great pre/pro. you add the matching 7-channel amplifier, the $1299 A-2000, you'll have a tasty $3,000 package."

12. Ted Kim

13. Ted Kim

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

15. Ted Kim

16. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Philip, did TPV happen to mention the clones? I just find it hard (but not impossible) to believe that the only difference is the titanium face-plate.

(Is it really titanium... why?).

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

18. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I must admit, I love those fancy-schmancy EAD face-plates (not sure if they're titanium, but they are rather striking). [​IMG]

19. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Has anybody heard the matching A-2000 amp??

20. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I found the review really disappointing actually. First of all, it sounds like the reviewer knows Peter Tribesman from Atlantic Technology personally, and that just gives the whole review a "puff piece" feel to it. I would think that MOST people would know that the P-2000 is a variant of the Outlaw 950 (there is an Outlaw ad only a few pages away!), so it would have been in AT's best interest to point out the differences between the units, instead of pretending that the 950 doesn't exist.

I'm an AT dealer so I'm thrilled to be able to offer the P/A-2000 and I'm sure they are awesome products - every bit as good as the review says. I just wish I knew what the differences were between the 950 and the P-2000 so I could convince customers to go with AT.

Incidentally, I'm not real crazy about the black. It's quite flat and 'lifeless' looking. The titanium look great!