What's new

Are You Becoming Your Parents...? (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I keep coming across vintage MTV videos from the glorious birth-of-MTV 80's, and enjoy nice, commercial pop music free of sociopathically narcissistic black girls, and pop singers vocoding every last bit of organic humanity out of their singing voices.
(If I wanted a singer to sound like a computer voice-synthesis
somehow I couldn't stave off the bitter-old-man-attitude when it comes to new mainstream music.
I have a similar attitude. I think to myself, “man, the recording industry has been pulling off a neat trick. They’ve convinced people to buy recordings of people who can’t sing”.
As for liking the music of my parents, my dad liked Hank Williams and the Ink Spots, which never appealed to me. It has nothing to do with it being “old” music, though. I very much enjoy the likes of Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Fed Astaire, Glenn Miller, and such. I’ve also discovered that I like Edye Gorme and the Trio Los Panchos and Johnny Mathis, which my mom likes. Then of course, there’s classical, which my parents never liked but which I discovered on my own when I was 15.
Add to the above classic rock and roll, doo wop, and love songs from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, and the best MTV 80s stuff. Oh, and let’s not forget movie soundtracks. Wonderful stuff.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I am convinced that there is something biological about this. I listen to new songs on the radio, and during some tune I'll think to myself "hey, this isn't bad," but after a minute it's just not sticking in my head the way good music did when I was younger and I change the channel.

On the other hand, Cookie Monster vocals are ruining metal, and that has nothing to do with my age! I was fine with it when it was just Slayer's thing, but it's just not interesting enough to do sooooooo much.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
TravisR said:
I enjoy new movies, comics, TV shows, books, etc. but somehow I couldn't stave off the bitter-old-man-attitude when it comes to new mainstream music. I'll still dig a song from a small or indie rock band that I'll hear on satellite today but nearly everything that I hear on the radio just sounds so terrible to me.
Travis, I don't think it's "bitter old man attitude" at all but rather that a lot of the newer music stinks. It's all a cookie cutter approach anymore; it's all became so watered down no one knows any better.

I had a female coworker once who loved to chide me about how country Hank Williams sounded and she couldn't stand it. This same person could then go turn on the radio to the "country" station and listen to the most awful gosh-awful mess I've ever heard. Most of it didn't resemble country at all, at least not to me.

I finally asked her one day how she could listen to it. I pointed out that the guy she was having the hots for was so twangy it was obviously a put-on because when he talked, he talked normal. All the guy could do was keep repeating he wanted a country girl to "shake it for him!" Her response was she didn't care how twangy he was.....he was "hot" and she would drink his bathwater! ;) :wacko:

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
I haven't become my parents so much as I now appreciate more of the things I didn't have a choice about listening to at the time, and of course resented, as a teen is apt to do. Heck it wasn't like it didn't like it then, I just wanted some control some of the time. But I am a certified music addict, fortunately so is my wife, and double fortunate we like 99% of the same music! I can handle ballads better, she can handle the Cookie Monster vocals a bit better, but otherwise pretty much the same taste. I'm loving the ability to buy incredibly cheap used music on the net, but we usually have at least one or two new releases every week, lots of times more as well as discovering music old and new constantly. Never "grown" out of liking Top 40/CHR, Modern/Classic/Traditional Country, Metal, whatever. I am that old guy with the long grey hair rocking out to AC/DC, KISS, Metallica, George Strait, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Cher, Duran Duran, Lady Ga Ga, Kanye or NWA, usually all in the same playlist. I even worked in radio and never got burned out on anything that I liked, even after 500 plays.....maybe the Lupus has affected my brain.....but I don't care! ;-)I can be the same cranky old guy my Grandfather was with some things, but music is definitely not one of them. It has been the key to keeping my sanity and even a couple of times maybe even my life at least according to my wife who was the conscious one at the bedside. To me it's all about enjoyment and I don't analyze it too much. Listen to what you like, don't fret about the rest.....someone else is enjoying that as much as you enjoy your favorites.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
My parents always had great taste, except for my mom's strange affinity for country music. LOL. So I was exposed to classical and the great american songbook and jazz, etc. Luckily, I've always appreciated many types of music. I've never understood the "rock is all that's good" mindset most of my friends have or had, thank god. But to each his own. All that matters is that you enjoy what you listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks