What's new

Apple sells more than 1 million songs (1 Viewer)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
AFAIK, Apple isn't keeping track of what you downloaded. So, if you loose everything you're SoL.
Maybe if enough people bitch and moan about it, they will allow you to redownload stuff that you've payed for... providing you're doing it from the same IP address as before lets say.

Well, I guess anyone that has an extensive collection of MP3's to begin with, would be backing their stuff up anyways.

EdR

Second Unit
No, it does not. Remastering only means going back to the original two track stereo master, not remixing from the original multis. What they're talking about is exactly what remastering is.
I'm confused. If I go find a master tape in a recording studio, and I play it into a computer and encode the audio to AAC (or MP3 or whatever) that's called "remastering"?

If that truly is remastering, then why would anyone doubt that Apple is doing this with some releases?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm confused. If I go find a master tape in a recording studio, and I play it into a computer and encode the audio to AAC (or MP3 or whatever) that's called "remastering"?
Yup. Just like if you would have created a new master CD for duplication from the resulting files.

If you make an AAC from the CD audio the mastering is the same as the original CD.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
There's nothing wrong with MP3 singles competing for album sales, that's what 45 rpm records did for years, and many 45's featured exclusive b-sides. The consumer doesn't need to spend $20-$30 on a CD for one song, and I remember buying every 45 RPM single for Bruce Springsteen's Born In The USA and getting my money's worth, and every one of them had an exclusive B-side (like 'Pink Cadillac' and 'Santa Clause Is Coming To Town', for example).

Well done, Apple!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these AAC files actually MP4 and not MP3.

I know it's just semantics, but still...:emoji_thumbsup:

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
is there anyway possible for those without US based credit cards to download tracks?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
If you make an AAC from the CD audio the mastering is the same as the original CD.
This is confusing things. The CD should be a clone of the original mastered tracks. However, the AAC file, while derived from the same master, is inherently different, due to the compression. It is not a clone. Technically, creating the AAC file is remastering (ie making a new master), but for practical usage terms, this usually is reserved when more dramatic changes are being made to the sound, such as EQ or compression/limiting, both of which may be a factor in what Apple is doing to better suit their compression scheme.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks