What's new

Anyone gone mirrorless? (1 Viewer)

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Yes, I have. I have the Sony A55 and it is better than any Canon or Nikon I absolutely love the camera. I have ever used. My cousin who uses Nikon currently is going to get the A57 and my friend is moving from Nikon to the A77. The features and speed in the price range are unmatched as of yet.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The Alphas are interesting cameras at good price points. They have their quirks too tho, especially in lens selection, which they are working on. I'm sold on the NEX line but you aren't going to find me trading in my Nikkors for the Alpha line any time soon.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
When it comes to lenses you really have to go lens by lens. Like for instance, dpreviews, an industry trusted review site, ranks a tamron lens as the best super wide angle lens (amazing lens by the way, I got it for my sony). I haven't checked on this one yet so dont quote me, but apparently sigma is making a 1.8 app zoom lens for all brands. When it comes to glass, Ziess has been known to make some of the best (owned by Sony). I will agree that Sony itself's selection is limited, but the third parties make up for the lack of lens selection, but I have to agree overall Nikon and Canon slrs have more access to lens, but the advantage is shrinking fast.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A few more thoughts on the Sony NEX 6

Be sure to physically turn it Off when charging. I charged it all night last night, and found the battery was still dead this afternoon. presumably because it auto-powered off with the switch "on" and completely failed to charge though plugged in. This is a terrible design choice, but now I know.

The WiFi features are awesome and terrible. They're amazing in that I've never seen a camera with wifi and an app store that can upgrade its features. It's lousy in that connecting to my wifi is dodgy, entering LAN passwords with a four-way camera ring is masochistic, and it takes multiple tries due to lousy wifi on the camera. And for us, the iPhone remote-control app doesn't work.

Ignoring wifi, plugging the camera into my computer, and downloading a new app from Sony's appstore via USB: sweet. Ten minutes later, and the camera has a new feature to auto-remove all but one color from photos. Neato.

The appstore is designed to suck money from my wallet. But I still plan to spend the $9.99 to get the stop-motion camera app and another $4.99 for the multi-frame noise reduction app. I hope the NEX store is successful, because there's a lot of potential.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I saw a couple guys at the parade last week (see my other thread) sporting what looked like NEX's. One guy had like three or four small cameras like that hanging off his neck, each with a different lens.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Wait, you are charging the battery in the camera? That might be possible but it's wrong. =p Take the battery out and charge it on the provided charger. Much more simple.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't have anything to show yet, but last weekend, I used the EF-M 22mm F/2 lens on my EOS M at Dragon Con, and I think for an evening, I just shot it mostly wide open. I have no idea how the shots really look like yet. Just thought I'd throw it out here as a teaser. But the shots probably just look like the ones from San Diego. LOL!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick Sun said:
I don't have anything to show yet, but last weekend, I used the EF-M 22mm F/2 lens on my EOS M at Dragon Con, and I think for an evening, I just shot it mostly wide open. I have no idea how the shots really look like yet. Just thought I'd throw it out here as a teaser. But the shots probably just look like the ones from San Diego. LOL!
That seems like a great lens to have on a small 1.6x crop camera, Patrick. If Canon comes out with a M body with a viewfinder, that would be the lens I'd want on it. I love my 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens on the full frame 5D3, so 22mm would be about the same field of view on a crop.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
NEX-5N finally found it's match. Keeping up with the wildly changing lights at last week's NIN show. Flipping bonkers. What I would give to shoot this show with a real DSLR and a quality lens from a non crowded vantage point.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/sets/72157636974346895/

Still, I think it held its own and nabbed at least a few keepers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sam Posten said:
NEX-5N finally found it's match. Keeping up with the wildly changing lights at last week's NIN show. Flipping bonkers. What I would give to shoot this show with a real DSLR and a quality lens from a non crowded vantage point.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/sets/72157636974346895/

Still, I think it held its own and nabbed at least a few keepers.
Impressive for that style of camera. Last time I saw NIN was in Fort Wayne. Helluva good show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks