What's new

anyone else excited for elephant? (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I think I read it in the April MOJO. He basically said that the White Stripes wasn't a career but a project.

I agree, the influence of alchohl is not conducive to listening to music, however inhaling the weed makes anywhere seem like Woodstock.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
Steve, Thanks for the info... why two albums? Are there extra tracks on the vinyl version? The CD is just under 50 minutes long and I would think that would fit on a single record (then again, it's been a long time since I've even held a record ).
50 min would really put too much time on two sides. If you try to pack more time onto an album side, you have to do so at the expense of the groove width and therefore sound quality. Plus, it's a VERY cool package the way they did the two albums.

-Steve

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
[offtopic]

I'm busy shopping for a used turntable just so I can buy this album on vinyl, BTW.

I'm looking at a technics SL-BD22 with a p24 cart, dunno anything about that cart but the table had some kind words in a few threads here on HTF
[/offtopic]

it's my thread, I can go offtopic if I wanna, right? ;)

BTW black math is my favorite also. along with there is no room for you here. the first half of the album is outstanding, and I feel it tapers off pretty bad after that.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I'm busy shopping for a used turntable just so I can buy this album on vinyl, BTW.
The Vinyl Asylum on AudioAsylum.com is without a doubt the best place to get turntable/cartridge info. As great as the people are here, vinyl isn't a high priority with the vast majority of them. The folks at the AudioAsylum site are rabid vinyl junkies. :)

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

-Steve

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I think you'd be surprised, I read some pretty informative posts.. I just can't afford a GOOD setup

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
Am I alone in thinking that White Blood Cells is the Stripes weakest album? It is what first got me into the band, but after hearing their first 2 albums (especially their first) I just found it far too polished and... "nice". I guess it was just right timing when they released White Blood Cells, riding the Strokes wave and all, but I find it has quite a few weak tracks. Now I find it just sounds far to polished. Their self-titled first album, and now Elephant, just has that rawness of both sound and emotion. Starting somewhat with their second album (and that stinker of a song "You're pretty good looking..") and then reaching a peak with their 3rd, their sound seemed to water down slightly. I do think that Elephant is the cumulation of everything before it and is an amazing return to form. If it is indeed their last album, it's a hell of a way to call it quits.

Possible post-Stripes: I could see Jack doing a solo acoustic album. As much as the Stripes can rock out, I've always really loved their slower acoustic tracks.

Shaun

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I'd have to say this ranks right up there with De Stijl which is my favorite Stripes album.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
give me some models :)
the BD22 I was bidding on (and sold for 26 bucks, grrr) is belt driven. I'm kind of cooled off on the whole thing now though, finances got tight all of a sudden

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
"Ball And Biscuit"

This song truly is one of the great blues/rock, guitar driven (for lack of a better term) anthems, that I have heard in years.

Incredible shit!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks