What's new

Anyone Else Excited About This? Higher Quality Apollo 11 Tapes? (1 Viewer)

Graham Perks

Second Unit
It's absolutely fantastic news. If you've not seen what moonviews.org has been able to do with 60s STILL shots of the moon, then definitely check them out.

Thought it amusing you posted a link to Fox "news" about this. Fox don't believe the moon landings even happened!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Graham Perks

Thought it amusing you posted a link to Fox "news" about this. Fox don't believe the moon landings even happened!
??? I know Fox News is a favorite whipping boy for some, but I've never heard it claimed before that the network promotes moon landing hoax theories.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

I'm thinking that is Fox Television rather than Fox News; two separate divisions with little to do with each other as far as programming is concerned.

I remember that alien autopsy video years ago that aired on Fox TV. It was one of those things that I wished had been real but figured it surely wasn't.

Graham Perks

Second Unit
Sure, Fox aired a whole special on how the moon landings were a fake.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast23Feb_2.htm
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/foxapollo.html
Morons for airing that, morons for making the masses more moronic.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Originally Posted by Scott Strang

I'm thinking that is Fox Television rather than Fox News; two separate divisions with little to do with each other as far as programming is concerned.
I suppose some aren't aware/don't care to make the distinction...

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I suppose some aren't aware/don't care to make the distinction...
No kidding.. Graham, seriously, you do realize you are talking apples and oranges don't you?

Back to the topic - CAN'T WAIT!!!

Jimi C

Screenwriter
I just read an article from today saying that NASA now admits that the original footage was erased some years ago.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
NPR did a thing this morning about the lost tapes. They interviewed the man who designed the camera that was left on the moon. He's resigned to the fact that the tapes were erased over.

Over the years I've shaken my head when I've read of a movie that's been allowed to fall in disrepair, but than I think, for many of these movies there was no perceived value after their theatrical run (and before tv). Sure, shortsighted, but understandable to some degree.

But for the video of the first steps on the moon? Do you have to be a rocket scientist (pun intended) to understand that the tapes are truly priceless historical documents? Don't you know that 1 minute after you've filled up the tape? Why was there not a plan for safekeeping these tapes?

I have to remind myself these people had been working for years at a punishing pace. I know that's true. But I can't quite bring myself to understand and excuse how the tapes were neglected.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I just read an article from today saying that NASA now admits that the original footage was erased some years ago.
Well DAMN!!!! I realized that 2" quad tape was expensive back then but geez. Some of the major TV networks erased and reused tape too back in the day.

Incredibly shortsighted; kinda like me throwing away those old hifi and MAD magazines.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have just realized that I am the pot calling the kettle black. Talk about throwing away tapes. I was in the Army 68-71 and stationed in Thailand and Germany. Particularly, in Thailand my parents, my favorite sister and I wrote to each other by recording cassette tapes. After my service I had a collection of tapes with the voices of my parents and sister. I probably had 30 or so.

In my infinite wisdom, during one of my apartment moves, I tossed them. My parents and sister have since passed away. I so very much wish I still had those tapes.

I withdraw my "rocket scientist" comments.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
At least we still have the videos of Jesus' birth. But sheesh, this is a disaster.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Will_B ">[/url]

At least we still have the videos of Jesus' birth. [/QUOTE]Fox News did a special proving that was faked too. It aired between The Simpsons and Family Guy. Bill O'Reilly hosted, and Megyn Kelly was on location at the backlot where they built a replica of Bethlehem. The smoking gun? - Plastic manger hay.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I have just realized that I am the pot calling the kettle black. Talk about throwing away tapes. I was in the Army 68-71 and stationed in Thailand and Germany. Particularly, in Thailand my parents, my favorite sister and I wrote to each other by recording cassette tapes. After my service I had a collection of tapes with the voices of my parents and sister. I probably had 30 or so.

[/COLOR]In my infinite wisdom, during one of my apartment moves, I tossed them. My parents and sister have since passed away. I so very much wish I still had those tapes.
My parents and my brother, sis in law and nephew (when he was very little) used to use cassettes (early to mid 70's) as letters. I managed to save one of them over the years. When my brother was in Vietnam he and parents would exchange reel to reels as letters.

Since my parents are also gone this makes me wanna dig out those super 8 and regular 8 movies and xfer them to some kind of hi res video format.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Fox News did a special proving that was faked too. It aired between The Simpsons and Family Guy. Bill O'Reilly hosted, and Megyn Kelly was on location at the backlot where they built a replica of Bethlehem. The smoking gun? - Plastic manger hay.
Cute!! The only way we could have footage of that would be:
A) Someone invents a time machine and is able to go back to that night in Bethleham
or
B) Aliens happened to be visiting at the time and recorded it. I bet they have some super hi res video capability.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks