What's new

Anyone else a boardgame nut? (1 Viewer)

Devin U

Second Unit
I gotta go with San Juan, Settelers, Trivial Pursuit, and good old uno and Monopoly. I remeber sitting around the table all night playing those with my family. Now that I think about it, Skipbo and Dominoes as well.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Chess, Scrabble, and Risk are my favorite board games.

Our family even has an ongoing joke about playing "a short game of Risk". We all decided to play a game one saturday night. It was to be just a short game... However in our house we don't use the cards, and we also apply the limit of 12 armies per country. The "short" game ran all night and into the wee hours of the morning, as every world power was repeatedly taken down by the combined alliances of all the other players in an ever shifting ballet of force. One of my favorite Risk memories.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

Joe, I use to love that game. The gang would usually get together at one of our places and start the game Friday night and it would run through Sunday and we would still be going. But, by then, the beer had run out and we had to get some sleep before Monday/work. Great memories.
Some other favorites, Chess, Risk, Trivial Pursuit and Wise & Otherwise.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Phil,

When we weren't drinking, gambling, or ??? in High School, we would spend the weekends playing Axis and Allies. Pretty funny because it was always the same people, so we became VERY used to each other and our strategies. We ended up making all kind of funky rules to keep it fresh, like replacing the tech rolls with stuff that was a little more juicy (like Super Transports that can transfer double the units, or Battlin' Battleships where they got to attack with 3 die just like Super Bombers.) Great times.

I actually have a double set of Axis and Allies on the shelf. That is to say that I picked up a second game at a Flea Market and made one monster set with 2x the units/markers/whatever. Can't wait until my boys are old enough to play those games, will have a built in player base at home.

If you ever gather to play games, let me know. I'd love to find a little group to enjoy some gaming, the last one broke up a few years back.

PS - To anyone that loves monopoly but doesn't like the time requirement, check out Acquire. It is such a fun little game with 4+ people.

GARY C

Second Unit
Anyone remember Talisman or Bloodbowl? Both great games IMO.

Both Games Designer Workshop games if I remember correctly.

Talisman is a "drinking man's" D&D, in which you choose a premaid characters and move around the game board gaining spells & items to make it to the end (or fight other people).

Bloodbowl is football, done D&D style. Orcs, dwarves, elves and others play a bloody game of football with features injuries and death (and indecent fouls).

Axis & Allies was a fun game until every Japan players first turn became 'if you control the Pacific you win, if you don't you loose'.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Joe,
I like those rule twists you put on A&A, good ideas. I know did some rule bending as well, but it has been a long time and cant remember them anymore. As far as gaming groups go, we don't really gather anymore for game nights other than playing some CivIII Play the World online. PM me know if your interested that.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a big fan of board-games per se, But I am a Dungeons & Dragons nut (Shhh... Don't tell anyone).

Although if you find a complete game for Milton Bradley's Dark Tower, I might be tempted to burlarize your house to get it :D

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I have a copy of Dark Tower in the cellar somewhere ;) I know it doesn't have all the pieces, but I did plug some batteries into the actual "Dark Tower" part a few years ago and it worked! That was a wicked little game for the closet D&D crowd, for sure.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Hoorah, I'm the first to mention this: Condottiere. Settlers is another great game too. It's amazing how fun these games are when you have some coachable or just enthusiastic people to play with/against. A personal guilty pleasure, albeit a little easy for some older people I guess, would be Stratego. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Monopoly and Risk. I've played matches that lasted days. I'm always up for a game.

When I was a kid, my parents used to buy my brother and I these story-oriented, comic-bookish games that involved putting together sets and stuff. A lot of fun, but they didn't last long in our hands :b I can remember one called "Searching for the Cobra Empire" or something like that. I also had one that while it didn't feature 3-d set pieces, it was probably my favorite non-Monopoly/Risk game. It was called something like "Haunted Mansion", and you would fight classic horror monsters by rolling the dice and seeing if you could top the value the monster had. You also had to use cards to be able to move (the entire board was covered with footsteps for you to follow). I have no idea what they were called in their original English incarnations, so if anyone out there knows what I'm talking about, please let me know their original names to see if I can track down a copy.

Sarah S

Second Unit
I like some of the Cheapass Games like Kill Doctor Lucky or Give Me The Brain. If you are into card games, Flux is good and so is Are You A Werewolf? (if you have enough people). Chez Geek is also lots of fun.

Myself, I like the new edition of Trivial Pursuit because it has questions that I can actually answer for once. My parents grabbed the original editions of the game and tried to play it with the family..a never-ending source of frustration growing up.

ace peterson

Second Unit
Can't wait until my boys are old enough to play those games, will have a built in player base at home.
Joe, that said it all!:)

I love Axis & Allies! Terrific game. But like someone said earlier, you play with the same people over and over again... you learn their favorite moves. (And *sniff* since I win all the time, people don't like to play that game with me anymore).

I also like Monopoly, Risk, chess, Scotland Yard, Scrabble, and Trivial Pursuit. Tripoli is a fun card game that uses a "board." D&D is a blast! No one to play that with though.

Settlers of Catan? Never heard of that one. I'll have to check it out. Will I find a website for it if I do a search?

Ace

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Ok, not sure if this is technically a bump or resurrection, but I thought I'd give one more idea as I just played this game for the first time earlier today: Inkognito. Pretty insane for a board game.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I for one am a big Monopoly fan. :D

I remember one game where I managed to get Mediterranean Avenue, Baltic Avenue, Park Place and Boardwalk all at once and built hotels on all four places. Passing Go was going to be a pretty expensive experience for my competitors. ;) Needless to say, I won big time. :D

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
D&D is a blast! No one to play that with though.
Hmmmm.... maybe the internet could be used for a long distance multiplayer RPG. If only there were a server with a non-hackable random number generator. I know that in the analog world "It bounced off the fridge but landed on a 20!" die rolls consumed about 33% of all the game-playing time.

Lets see..other board games I liked:

Monopoly v2.0: If you know what Calvinball is, you get an idea about this self-modified game. Monopoly boards, LEGO characters, robot dinosaurs, and bank robbing was never this much fun!

There was another 'RISK' type game, but you could bomb other players countries with nuclear weapons. The rulebook was ungodly long, game mechanics were unthinkably algebraic, and there were enough "Expansion Packs" with accompanying rule modifications to make actually global domination look easy.

Mousetrap: Never played a game once. But built the mousetrap 50,000 times.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
You should definitely get Settlers. And get the Seafarers expansion and the knights and cities too. Very cool stuff. I also just love Roborally, damn that's fun!

Graham Perks

Second Unit
Joe, if you have a working Dark Tower, check out ebay where if I recall, it's in high demand.

I was luckly enough to find a (Mayfair) Cosmic Encounter for $7 in a thrift store. They fetch well over $100 on ebay! Nice little earner there :)

I posted a couple of links right at the top of the thread. Try www.funagain.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks