What's new

Anyone afraid of Driving? (1 Viewer)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Anyone afraid of Driving?

Only on the freeways around Atlanta.

They scare the hell out of me: 3 to 6 lanes, bumper to bumper, all speeding, no escape routes, and here comes some jackass weaving in and out going well over 100 mph.

I only had to go to Atlanta once a month, but my anxiety over the drive got so bad that I changed my reserve unit.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty used to driving around Atlanta, but every now and then there are a few knuckleheads who make it a little hairy to "share" the highways with them.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I lived the "no car" lifestyle for quite a few years in Denver. It's doable, but damned inconvenient. Driving gives an incomparable feeling of freedom. You go when YOU want, you return when YOU want. You don't waste nearly the amount of time getting around. I'd rather not stand around in freezing weather waiting for a bus.

If you live in a situation where not having a car involves few compromises, that's ok, but it seems to me that much of what I'm reading is an attempt to justify irrational fears, as in "taking 20 flights of stairs is healthier for me" (even though your fear of elevators is irrational) or "I like to see the country when traveling" (an attempt to justify your irrational fear of flying).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Los Angeles :D

Seriously though, I consciously made the decision to pay higher rent to live within walking distance to work a few years ago. It made sense since my live-in gf is getting her masters (at the same U I work at) so we now both walk to work. Within a 1/2 mile of our apartment is several very large and famous moviehouses, Best Buy, Ralphs, Whole Foods, several coffee shops, a Farmer's Market on Thursdays. I basically only drive on weekends and rare weeknights where we are going out somewhere.

I can't tell you what a relief it is not to drive (and I drive quite well, I am confident in myself and my ability to potentially compensate for someone else's negligence). However there's just a wear and tear, especially if you have a nasty commute (and in L.A. all commutes are nasty). I find myself full of energy and in a great mood when I get home after walking.

The health benefits are also palpable. I don't work out at all but have actually lost weight since work is about 3/4 of a mile away. My doctor said I walk about a mile more every day than the average guy ;)

And as for the extra rent I pay, with gas prices over $3 a gallon and looking to stay that way, I actually end up paying pretty much the same thing I did for an apartment that was 10 miles away in a cheaper neighborhood.

Until I'm ready to buy a house/condo (a long time away) I will be living this close to where I work for the foreseeable future.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
I was somewhat late getting a license in high school due to economic reasons, but I was pleasantly surprised to meet many people in university (read: cute girls) who weren't particularly worried about getting their license ASAP.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I love driving. And unfortunately, I'm not afraid of it at all. I get in accidents far more than average. I suffer from Duane Syndrome, which thanks to a miracle surgery as an infant barely impacts my life now, does impair my visibility in odd times. Parking lots and lightless intersections are nightmares.
I've:
- hit a mailbox
- hit a squirrel
- been side-ended by a car moving at full speed in an intersection
- rear-ended another car when my brakes died on a hill.
- spun out on a cliff and took off half my bummer and most of my passenger-side quarter panel on a guard rail.

The last one spooked me enough that I'm more careful now than I was, but I like going fast and turning tight. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that I spend over half the year reliant on public transportation, so I look forward to really opening 'er up once I get back to the country. Also - NIGHT DRIVING.

I got stuck out in Cleaveland Circle once after a movie at Circle Cinemas got out after the inbound track shut down on the T. Since then, my social life has been utterly controlled by the final train. By the time I came home I had memorized the actual arrival time that the final train arrived at all of the main stations. While the T is definitely a hundred times better than driving in Boston, driving where the suburbs meet farm country is my favorite way to travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks