What's new

Any word on The Abyss? (1 Viewer)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
As repeatedly mentioned in this thread, both "The Abyss" and "True Lies" are currently available to HT enthusiasts only on non-anamorphic DVDs. (In other words, essentially the Laserdisc masters were just dumped onto the DVDs.) Truthfully, these transfers were obsolete *before* they were released!

There were rumors at "The Digital Bits" in Fall of last year that both of these titles were being readied for Blu-ray for this year. But if we hear nothing regarding an official release by the end of July, then I just don't see it happening.

I have both titles on my shelf, but I can't bear to view either one on my current FPHD System. I'm a *huge* Cameron fan, and this is just *killing* me!!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
If they come this year they will undoubtedly be coming no earlier than November. Which means they could hold off on announcing them until at least September.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I recently viewed an HD presentation of The Abyss and it looked quite nice. Easily the best presentation of the film I've seen since the theatrical showing so many years ago. I had not viewed the film in a long, long time and it was nice seeing Brigman and his crew again.

- Walter.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Joseph Bolus said:
I have both titles on my shelf, but I can't bear to view either one on my current FPHD System. I'm a *huge* Cameron fan, and this is just *killing* me!!
Same here. It is just such a pain, and so rarely (i.e. never, by choice) needed for years that I cannot easily force my BDP to properly display non-anamorphic material. I forget how to do it, it's not "trivial", like press one button or something. I mean 10 years ago my DVDP would do it with trivial effort, since it was commonly enough needed (e.g. Criterion anyone?).

What bugs me a bit about The Abyss is it's been repackaged countless times (least in Canada) over the years and not once have they removed the "anamorphic" claim from any of the inserts or slipcases. When I bought it, the first release when brand new, I did not even know what anamorphic was...probably almost certainly before I joined up here, otherwise no excuse...

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It's crazy that the only digital media release this film has seen is a non-anamorphic DVD from 2000 - FOURTEEN YEARS AGO. Sheesh! Come on Cameron, get with the program!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
dpippel said:
It's crazy that the only digital media release this film has seen is a non-anamorphic DVD from 2000 - FOURTEEN YEARS AGO. Sheesh! Come on Cameron, get with the program!

Yeah, no kidding. Too bad it wasn't a Warner title. We would've been on the 6th or 7th edition by now :lol:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
cineMANIAC said:
Yeah, no kidding. Too bad it wasn't a Warner title. We would've been on the 6th or 7th edition by now :lol:
Yes, but we'd have it along with a cheap replica dive helmet and a pack of Abyss playing cards. :)

Jobla

Supporting Actor
The lack of an anamorphic transfer of this film, at least in English, calls Cameron's reputation as a high-tech guru into question, at least to me.

The current DVD is actually the laserdisc master, which is practically ancient by now.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jobla said:
The lack of an anamorphic transfer of this film, at least in English, calls Cameron's reputation as a high-tech guru into question, at least to me.

The current DVD is actually the laserdisc master, which is practically ancient by now.
It's an old ancient master, wait for the new blu ray, don't blame Cameron for that old dvd, it was released a long time ago when some titles got the non-anamorphic treatment, it just never got re-released, the blu ray will be worth the wait.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Surprised this and True Lies haven't got released yet. I wonder what's the hold up?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
FoxyMulder said:
It's an old ancient master, wait for the new blu ray, don't blame Cameron for that old dvd, it was released a long time ago when some titles got the non-anamorphic treatment, it just never got re-released, the blu ray will be worth the wait.
Oh, I think we can blame Cameron to some extent. It's been 14 years since that DVD was released. If he'd wanted to do something about it in that time he certainly could have by now, particularly with the clout he wielded after Titanic went berserk and again after Avatar stomped worldwide box office records to dust. He has the money and he has the influence, but the fact remains that he's done nothing with The Abyss for a decade and a half. IMO that doesn't speak too well of his interest in the film or its fans.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
its possible that we might hear something about true lies and the abyss at comic-con.

its july 24-27, 2014.

Jacob

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
dpippel said:
Oh, I think we can blame Cameron to some extent. It's been 14 years since that DVD was released. If he'd wanted to do something about it in that time he certainly could have by now, particularly with the clout he wielded after Titanic went berserk and again after Avatar stomped worldwide box office records to dust. He has the money and he has the influence, but the fact remains that he's done nothing with The Abyss for a decade and a half. IMO that doesn't speak too well of his interest in the film or its fans.
At least it's getting treated to a new 4K film scan and the same goes for True Lies while poor old Terminator 2 has never had such treatment, in fact of all his films i would say only Piranha 2 has had worse treatment, Terminator 2 deserves better.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
dpippel said:
IMO that doesn't speak too well of his interest in the film or its fans.
I think it's just that he's way more focused on and interested in what he's currently working on (be it deep sea diving or Avatar or inventing 3-D stuff) than he's interested in reliving past glories. As much as I want The Abyss and True Lies on Blu-ray, I like that he isn't stuck in the past like so many other filmmakers and fans.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The thing is, if James Cameron wanted to see The Abyss released on Blu-ray (and he may), it wouldn't take much time for him to approve an HD master. (And that's what I understood the delay had been - he wanted to approve it) Given that he hasn't been in production on anything since 2009, one would think he'd have had at least a few hours here or there to do so. We should keep in mind that he doesn't have that many movies in his filmography:

Terminator (1984)
Aliens (1986)
The Abyss (1989)
Terminator 2 (1991)
True Lies (1994)
Titanic (1997)
(I don't count the Piranha movie or the Dark Angel TV series)

It is quite possible that Fox will announce a new Blu-ray release of The Abyss at some point this year for the 25th Anniversary. But I wouldn't be surprised if Doug is correct and he simply doesn't want to spend any time at all dealing with this movie again. .

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Comic-Con would be a great place for such an announcement, if one is indeed forthcoming.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
At least it's getting treated to a new 4K film scan and the same goes for True Lies while poor old Terminator 2 has never had such treatment, in fact of all his films i would say only Piranha 2 has had worse treatment, Terminator 2 deserves better.
Is that speculation of getting scanned at 4K or what it should get to get the best and most from it for HD delivery.

I doubt it would be this year as were just less than half-way though the year, with August coming up and THE ABYSS was released (August 1989 USA) and (October 1989 UK).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks