What's new

any ideas to keep my pup out of the xmas tree? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
she's like 5 months old now, but still a little crackwhore and into everything, and tall so she can reach about anything she wants, so I KNOW she's going to be all over the xmas tree this year.

I'm worried about her getting a glass ball and breaking it in her mouth, so I guess we'll only decorate from about 3' and higher, but she can still jump or wiggle something down...

I've thought about roping it off but can't figure a way to do that.
I've got some of that bitter spray but I don't think I can dust the whole tree with it...

Lat year my other dog was 8 months old but a lot more "relaxed" :frowning:

Anyone want a 5 month old viszla for the holidays? :b

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator
I have a friend who tied the tree to the wall or fireplace somehow (to prevent tipping) and put the tree in a corner with a child gate all around the tree. You might want to avoid tinsel too. Hope that helps.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

was hobbes a complete pain in the ass as a pup too?
this dog is rediculous, I've never had a pup mature so slowly.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

OMG tinsel? no way.

"ohh! shiny things!" *grab* *runrunrunrunrunrurnrunrunrunrun*

I have a couple child gates, but I'm afraid she can clear them with ease :frowning:

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
If child gating the entrance to the room where the tree will be is possible, that would be a good answer. That keeps the pup out of the room entirely. Of course, the pup isn't going to like that.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
hrm won't work I'm afraid, the only place I have room for a tree is in the dining room, centered on this railing.

http://www.whereyou.at/philip/t7.jpg

I can't block it off because there isn't really an entry way, and the GF is like 5'1 and can't get across the child gates :laugh:

Maybe we'll go treeless this year.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
OK Philip, how about a 3 ft tree on a table in front of the railing. That would work.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:

probably, until she decides to jump up on the table.
I think the lesson I'm learning here is "if she wants it bad enough, she'll get it" no matter what I do about it.

oddly enough my grandma has done just that for YEARS, as long as I can remember.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
here's the little hungarian destroyer BTW.

I think the thought in her head is "what is this SIT that you speak of?"

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

Little???? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
She already looks bigger than than your Springer, Charlie.
As far as keeping her away from the tree, a couple things come to mind. You could try mixing a little cayenne pepper with water in a spray bottle and spay the lower part of the tree. (nothing says christmas like the fresh smell of pine and pepper)
Or you could try some booby traps placed under the tree. Basically a device that snaps or pops when the puppy gets close enough to activate it. I've never tried them, but hear that they are somewhat effective.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I could try that, I have some bitter spray I bought at petsmart, but it hasn't been too effective.

Well, at 14 weeks she weighed in at 33 pounds at the last vet visit, she's 5 months now so probably close to 40 :eek:

charlie is between 35 and 40. Getting heavier, all that puppy chow she's stealing ;)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I would say either don't have a tree this year (which sucks), or try to get it up off the ground a bit. We have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 2 toddlers so we usually place the tree on a little 2 foot bench that sits under the front window. This pulls the tree (and lower ornaments) about 3 ft off the ground. Not totally safe, but pretty good for protecting most of it from the casual battering.

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Whatever you do be careful with the lights. My Springer mix got ahold of my alarm clock cord one time. A taste of 120V is all it takes to cure them for a lifetime :) Although the span of that lifetime may be very very short (mine survived thankfully, and now ONLY chews on her toys).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hah! My youngest sister and brother-in-law have two Swissies. The youngest is over a year old and still isn't housebroken. Of course, he's AKC certified, and on his way to being a Westminster competitor. Typical supermodel -- beautiful but dumb as rocks ;) (And he weights about 150 lbs.)

But I've got no useful advice to keep your dog from eating your Christmas tree. My sister, with the Swissies, tried the bitter apple repellent to keep the dogs from eating the furniture. The dogs actually liked it and would lick it off the furniture (before eating the furniture).

The best solution is to foist them off on your neighbors until mature. :D

Paul Bond

Stunt Coordinator
Well, my wife is a horse person, so she found a 2 1/2 to 3 foot barbed wire christmas tree. Our dogs didn't even look twice at it.

My thought contribution is this. What about taping or pinning a cutout tree to the wall. You and yours can have fun cutting out 'ornaments' to 'hang' on the tree and as you get presents wrapped, you can cutout an appropriate 'box' to tape to the wall under the tree (while keeping the real presents safely away from La Destructa).

It sounds odd even to me, but at the same time it sounds like the sort of thing that might add a litle fun back to Christmas for families without little two-legged children running around.

Bond. Paul Bond.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

my other pup us a springer, when she was a pup she chewed through a floorlamp cord TWICE.
NO clue how she kept from getting zapped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks