What's new

...and suddenly I am big on videogames again. (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
You know, from the age of about ten to fourteen I lived videogames, had pretty much every console going and played far, far too much.
When the Playstation came along I found myself to me one of the rare few somewhat underwhelmed by the whole gaming scene in its later years, and it's only really now (with a nice injection of gaming greatness from the Dreamcast) that I'm suddenly really getting into the whole gaming scene again...
I'm going to extreme lengths to try and secure a US Gamecube on import next month, but I'm sadly expecting to fail in my attempts.
I've got places in Canada trying to get me one, a few UK importers have me on their pre-order lists and my last hope is that someone figures out how to modify Japanese models to run US software prior to Nov 18th.
I've not lusted for a games console, wanting to go to such silly lengths in getting my hands on it, for over six years. I can see myself going to an importer in London called CEX who will no doubt charge me £400 (for a US GC) next month, Brian and Iain no doubt know of that frankly p*ss poor establishment and their prices! That's a last resort, but it's been a LONG time since I would have ever considered going to them at all for a console.
So to top off the Gamecube lust I now find myself sitting here browsing the PS2 section at IGN and seeing titles coming that look to do the console some justice and FINALLY appeal to me.
Help me, for I fear I am about to spend obscene amounts of money! :)
Dan (UK)

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
We should start a support group Dan
biggrin.gif

This tale of woe is similar to my own precipitous decline back into gaming. I bought the new PSOne redesign in January, after swearing off videogames post-SNES.
Ha ha, oh boy. I realized why computer gaming is only half satisfying sometimes, compared to consoles. And now I intend to buy a Cube come January when I've got the money on hand.
But if you're looking for somebody to convince you not to buy a PS2, it won't be me. I love my PSOne, and the PS2 has some wicked games coming out for it. Enough are making their way to the Cube that I won't mind though...
But you've still got sweet exclusive titles like MGS2 and Twisted Metal: Black that are mighty fine. I mean, if I had the cash, I'd have the PS2 and the Cube here already. So I personally endorse you getting into huge, huge amounts of mind-blowing debt in order to fund an addiction to two consoles that I have no doubt will offer at least three excellent games, thereby fulfilling the rule of three, stating that any system with at least three games worthy of purchase should be bought by the average consumer.
Doubly so for the home theater lover :)
------------------
Mark Evans
Low Rent Movie Critic, Low Rent Home Theater Owner, Low Rent Everything

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Dan, I'd love to help, really I would, but I'm being cheap here. I know full well I can't afford to import a Cube right now, and if you get one I'll be round like a shot to try it out. If I do that, then I just know that my plan to wait until spring and the UK release is going to fail miserably.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

On the bright side, it might be the one thing that keeps me away from the temptations of a PS2 and GTA3 - the machine finally has a game that has me wanting it.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
As much grief as I used to give the PS2, I cannot find one reason why game lovers should not have one. I own four games for it and I have only had the system for 3 weeks. The games I own are Silent Hill 2, Twisted Metal: Black, Gran Turismo 3, and Grand Theft Auto 3. Out of these 4 games I would have to say all of them are some of the best games I have ever played, especially GTA3.
I will be picking up Metal Gear and NFL2K2 when it is released and I will be holding off on Tony Hawk 3 and Devil May Cry until Christmas (I have to have a Cube and Rogue Leader). However, these games will be occupying my time for quite awhile anyway. Hell, I didn't think I would ever ignore Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat, but I am. I never play Counter-Strike anymore and I only play Day of Defeat about once a week.
I even have my PS2 setup for some DSL online goodness in Tony Hawk. Plus, with a couple of other great games coming out in the next few weeks (007: Agent Under Fire, Soul Reaver 2, and Jax and Daxter, Wipeout Fusion) the PS2 is looking to be a nice purchase.
I honestly cannot wait for the Gamecube. There are several games that will be out in the next few months that really got my interest. As far as the X-box goes, I really have no interest in that system right now. There are no games that I honestly want that are exclusive to it. Jet Set Radio Future and Cel Damage are coming to the Cube and those were two of the games I want to play. My buddy is getting an X-box so if I have a need to play it, I'll just head over to his house. Between the PS2, Cube, and PC, I don't think I will really have a need to do that though. :)
-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Peter_A

Second Unit
Dan,
Can't you get one of the members here to send one over to you? I'd think that would be easier(and cheaper) than using a British importer?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
When does the UK cube come out? Wouldn't it be a pain to convert NTSC to PAL?
Though I should speak. I'd do anything to get my cube days early...
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Peter,
Well that's a possibility, though the one flaw is how reliable getting one at launch would be since it is my understanding that all places in the US are pretty much all pre-ordered out! Anyone want to fill me in on my chances?
quote: When does the UK cube come out?[/quote]
John, Spring 2002 say Nintendo, but a lot of rumours right now that it's been pushed back to summer 02.
quote: Wouldn't it be a pain to convert NTSC to PAL?[/quote]
I won't have to, the large percentage of TVs in the UK are capable of displaying the NTSC signal, just need that s-video cable with my cube and I'm away.
In the UK videogames suffer the opposite fate that movies do in the home. Where as movies in PAL are sped up, videogames slow down which is a real joke and is why I've done nothing but import for years.
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on October 31, 2001 at 12:53 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have a PS2 and a buncha games (11 or so) and I love it. To tell the truth, I pick up my PS2 and play games for it more often than I did for my Dreamcast.
In the last 3 weeks, I got Time Crisis 2, Silent Hill 2, ICO, and Devil May Cry, and each one is GREAT!!!
Can't wait for Soul Reaver 2, Blood Omen 2, Metal Gear Solid 2, and Final Fantasy X. Man, 8 great games in just a few months, and thats only the ones I'm interested in! Haven't played GTA3 (and not looking to, really) but I hear its great. I'm sure there are some other big sports games coming out soon, too. To tell the truth, I don't think even the DC had as good a winter season.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Indeed, Morgan, it's really shaping up nicely (007: Agent Under Fire is looking rather neat too). Naturally in regard to a PS2 I'd go for a US import in the want to avoid questionable PAL releases (the PAL GT3 is awfuly slow in comparison to the NTSC releases).
I have to stand back and ask myself if I am insaine enough to pay up £400 for JUST an import gamecube I should really watch it because for that money I could have patience and get a US cube at a good price at the first advantage after it's initial release and not be so worried with securing one on pre-order, thus giving me money left for a PS2 as well. Very sticky situation, the cube is up on the priority list, I could sit with one and rogue leader alone for months.
Dan (UK)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
John, Spring 2002 say Nintendo, but a lot of rumours right now that it's been pushed back to summer 02.
I wouldn't put /too/ much credence on those MCV based rumours of a delay, Dan. From what I know, they've got near zero facts to back it up at this point - it's gossiping & rumour-mongering to try & get more info out of Nintendo.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Nevertheless, I wouldn't touch a PAL system with a ten foot pole.
biggrin.gif

Dan (UK)
-- Still trying to get his cube

Peter_A

Second Unit
Dan
The place I work at will be selling both the GC and the Xbox. I'm not getting either, but I could probably snag one for you. Email me if ya want.

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
Dan-
There is VERY VERY little Cube hype in the states, I can state assuredly that unless Nintendo fucks up and shorts suppliers you will readily be able to walk in and buy one they day they come out.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Well this is good news, chaps. Dean has very kindly offered to try and get me one on day of release, that said, Peter if you could find out if you could definately secure me one it may be better to sort something with you since Canada to UK postal relations are somewhat better.
I'm overwhelmed by everyone's help and generosity here.
Dan (UK)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks