What's new

American Idol - Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

So you believe that being unwed, with a child, and dropping out of school is a lofty goal for girls now and something that they should idolize?

I reckon that in the world of "pop stardom" with its rampant bad influences and horrible role models, one more won't hurt.

All I can say is that if I had a daughter, BoBo is not the type of person I would want her idolizing.

Chris

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member

...uh..Missy Elliott isn't kissing up to anyone just for spotlight. Once again, this is an artist that most American Idol's would KILL to approach the longevity and record sales of. Missy's gone multiplatinum with EVERY ALBUM SHE'S RELEASED, and she's been around for almost 10 years now. And that's not counting songs she's produced/co-written/collaborated on. This last album of hers has unleashed about 4 bonafide hit singles--something that, last I checked, not a SINGLE American Idol winner has ever done.

Dude--if you're trying to paint the portrait of a fame starved has-been trying to cling onto up-and-comers for a taste of spotlight, picking Missy Elliott is a horrible choice of example.

And Kelly AND Clay's albums are pre-fabricated pap. Soulless. if I remember right, most of Kelly's album was written before she even won. It was generic blah-blah designed to be "one size fits all" stuff for WHOEVER won. Her only significant hit aside from her "moment" song which was going to go number 1 regardless of WHO sung it--was a Christina Aguilera throwaway (Miss Independent) repurposed to fit Kelly's talents. and I don't mean a Christina throwaway as a figure of speech: The song was literally written specifically for Christina Aguilera and didn't make the cut for her last album. So Kelly got the rights.

Missy Elliott coming in AFTER Fantasia's win, and working with her to craft songs best suited to HER talents? That sounds a whole hell of a lot more like a real album (And more like what happened with Rueben) than either Clay's OR Kelly's releases.

As far as whether Fantasia is something to idolize--methinks you're taking the title of the show too seriously. NO ENTERTAINER SHOULD BE IDOLIZED. PERIOD. "American Idol" is a takeoff of the term "teen idol" which was coined as a sort of smartass comment on the level of devotion teenage girls used to give to superficial talents who had yet to prove themselves. Shiny, empty, blank "Idols"--singing statues.

Any kind of real Idols or role models? That kind of weight should rest on the shoulders of parents and family members. People to which a REAL personal attachment should be formed to. If at any point your child starts to actually IDOLIZE someone they've only seen at a concert or on a television screen, something's gone wrong.

This is a country where even our most respected and beloved have horrible shit in the closet. Dropping out of high school and having a kid is nowhere NEAR on the level of things that--say--people as respected as John F Kennedy and Martin Luther King have done.

And constantly ridiculing someone by calling them "Bobo" all day because they dance funny isn't exactly something you want to look up to either ;)

The "Idol" part of this show shouldn't really be given all THAT much weight. Cuz you know for DAMN sure that Simon Fuller doesn't give a shit about whether these kids are worthy of raising your children via pop songs. This is a moneymaking entertainment venture, pure and simple. Single Mothers have it hard enough as it is without people crapping on one that's actually managed to MAKE something of herself through her talents.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

..uh...no, she hasn't.

Of her five albums, the only one certified "multi" is "Under Construction" (x2). So the Idols don't have to kill to have her record sales, since they've probably beat her for the most part (longevity remains to be seen).

Missy would be a good match. Her screechy beats, complete lack of melody, and nonsense lyrics with Fantasia's "yeah yeahs."

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
And of course, for everyone that bags on Diana for screaming her singing, they forget about Fantasia screeching/rasping her way through her songs. Both of these gals over-sing to their detriment to my ears.

For a 1% vote difference, it's not like a huge landslide victory/defeat either way. But I tend to think it's more of a fault with the phone system not capable of taking in all those multiple calls from fervent fans of each contestant.

Oh well, a ho-hum season, but I'm optimistic FOX contacts the WB and gets some of those who actually sounded good in the "WB Superstar" auditions for AI 2005 next season.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Damn me and my fuzzy math. I might as well run for Pres. ;)

Still, you should look at how many platinum and multi-platinum records she's been involved in helping produce and write and collaborate on as well. Nonsense lyrics isn't exactly a hindrance to a pop records immortality. Louie Louie, anyone? ;)

If you're using Missy Elliott as an example of bad pop music, you haven't been listening to pop music in the last 10 years. Or paying attention to the critical acclaim constantly heaped upon her.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not a huge Missy fan, either, and I think she's not as super-creative as critics give her credit for. But she's already a hell of a lot more successful AND respected than any Idol contestant has been.

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
The only damn thing that's racist or ridiculous is that it's alright to rip 1 contestant(miss Piggy??? :rolleyes:) but heaven help us if ANY kind of ridicule is leveled at the other contestant(whom someone happens to like). I'd be REAL careful before you start throwing around racism charges because someone you like is poked at. Looks VERY classy after you rip the other contestant.......:rolleyes

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
well, granted, throwing racism around isn't going to help any...but I can't think--off the top of my head--of any examples of Crack Cocaine causing people's voices to become high-pitched.

Unless they're saying she looks like a Crackhead--which might also be construed as being race-based. And if one wanted to--the Duck comment could be based on the size of Fantasia's lips, which she herself has pointed out are big.

Personally, I figure the comment was made innocuously of course. The "Duck" comment probably had more to do with Fantasia's voice getting scratchy at times, and it's not like crack hasn't been the common "what are you on" punchline for awhile now--but you gotta be careful.

but if you're going to bang on someone for calling a black single mother "donald duck on crack" then you should possibly also bang on them for making fun of the weight of a 16 year old girl. Especially since DeGarmo isn't really fat.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Guess I picked the wrong season to try and watch from start to finish. What a waste. :thumbsdown:

WB Superstar, much more entertaining and from those early auditions (the good ones), some could have swept this seasons AI.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit

Well Chris, Teena Marie just released her 21st album (including some greatest hits compilations) and it debuted at #6 on the Billboard charts and #3 on the R&B chart. I'd consider that quite a success. Her first album was released in 1979 and she's in her late 40's now. If you don't follow R&B you may have never heard of Lady T but I'm pretty sure any of the Idol winners would love to have that kind of career longevity.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let's grab some perspective here by saying it's only television. Some of you take this show much too seriously and personally for that matter. However, I must admit that some comments made in this thread have open my eyes.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Sigh. I stayed out of this thread, indeed the entire TV forum, to stay spoiler-free, but they announced the result on the radio news. Way to go, considering the radio and TV station have the same parent, in effect radio spoiled TV. Usually it's the newspapers that do it (they did it to Survivor), since the main newspaper company owns the lesser (ie less-watched, 'cos it's newer) TV station here.

Ah well, not that I was going to buy the CD of either finalist, regardless of who won. Heck, I've never bought any AI CD anyway. But it was a fun train wreck to watch, and I'll watch the result show tonight too. And then forget all about it.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

She hasn't made anything out of her self yet. Yes she won the show, but it will be years before we know whether she truly has what it takes to be something in the music industry. She can't live the rest of her life just on the AI title, ask Kelly, whose star is starting to wane already.

Enough of this year's Idol, it was the worst season yet and will be good to forget.

That said:
What is up with Reuben and needing the towel after singing for just a few minutes? Was it just me or did it seem like he added quite a bit more weight? You would think that they would put him on some kind of diet for health concerns.

Chris

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Wow, what a weird turn this thread is taking. I'm not even going to comment on the racism stuff.

Last night's show was a beating and I only watched the last hour :eek: Why would the producers try to hold everyone's interest for two hours by having everyone sing songs they had already sung during the season or maybe even the night before?

This was a fitting finale for a mediocre season.

Peace,

DM

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
After 3 seasons, I am done, this season the produceres have upped the ante with commerical propoganda and the judges have pushed there own agenda beyond belief. Simon saying its the best talent contest in the world, you are joking right? I have had my full of their self promotion, and what once was a fun show has now turned sour.

I will not waste my time on this show next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks