What's new

Amazon posts Black Friday Lightning Deals Schedule (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
plus you don't get the neat robot right?
That was only included with the first release of the series set which is out of print (and it came out before The Plan so that wasn't included in the first release). The current version of series set has all the discs/episodes/telemovies/extras/everything but no robot toy.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Is this reboot(?) of the BG series really *that* good? Never got around to checking it out before though I generally try to stay away from owning TV series on disc for the most part...

Thanks.

_Man_

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
ManW_TheUncool said:
Is this reboot(?) of the BG series really *that* good?  Never got around to checking it out before though I generally try to stay away from owning TV series on disc for the most part... Thanks. _Man_
While I'm not that big of a fan of 'hardcore' sci-fi and fantasy stuff (like Star Trek or Dr Who), it's one of the 10 best shows of the last decade. It was well written, well acted, dark, exciting, had great effects and it said something about our world too. I'd never tell someone to drop $100 or more on something they've never seen but I whole heartedly recommend a rental.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
ManW_TheUncool said:
Is this reboot(?) of the BG series really *that* good?  Never got around to checking it out before though I generally try to stay away from owning TV series on disc for the most part... Thanks. _Man_
I'm in that same boat although I grew up on the original series. this reboot looks wonderfully sharp and I've always meant to see it. This is an outstanding deal. Although I'm wondering what amazon is going to offer the full set at. They seem to have the individual season nearly what walmart is doing. Loading stuff in my cart to get a total.... was wondering about that 4.5. >*>*>*> Confusion

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is all from memory...I hope I am right...but you need

both 4.0 and 4.5. 4.5 is the final half of season 4.

Battlestar Galactica was the most unbelievably brilliant

sci-fi series for the first two seasons. After that, it went

sharply downhill. The last seasons are nowhere as good

as the first two.

I do remember the picture quality of the first season (and

perhaps second) was not very good. Extremely grainy.

It is worth picking this set up at a discount just for the

first two seasons alone.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I've made it through about half of season one on NF streaming. It's HD there so an option if you have NF streaming.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I don't have any streaming service currently. No satellite or cable. I just buy what I want. :) Hum....I'll have to have the whole deal. I know after watching the 2nd season I'll want to see the rest. I guess i'll definitely wait on the full set and see what it drops to. I might just wait until I get the original series (which I don't have on DVD yet, although I picked up BG1980...i know i know haha...from Big Lots). Taking me a while to get that show collected. Not a big deal. thanks for all the info about it. 4.0+4.5=the whole 4th Season? It's odd that 4.0 is called "Season Four" on amazon. Are you sure? I'll do more research on this myself before buying. It's a little confusing. From thedigitalhabits review of the BG complete series blu ray: "SEASON FOUR (6 DISCS) The Razor disc obviously contains both the broadcast and extended versions of Battlestar Galactica: Razor (with commentary on the extended version by Moore and writer Michael Taylor). Additional extras here include deleted scenes (3 minutes), all 7 Razor Minisodes (in SD), 2 featurettes (The Look of Battlestar Galactica and My Favorite Episode So Far), a Season Four Sneak Peek and a Season Four Trailer. Interactive extras new for Blu-ray include The Oracle, the Battlestar Actual viewing mode (a glossary of terminology), BD-Live access and the Battlestar Galactica: Ultimate Battle BD-Live Card Game. S4.0 - Disc One includes the episodes He That Believeth in Me, Six of One, The Ties That Bind, Escape Velocity and The Road Less Traveled, all with Moore podcast commentary. Deleted scenes for all five episodes are available (12 minutes), including a Blu-ray exclusive deleted scene from the episode Six of One. Ten more of David Eick Video Blogs are available (40 minutes) including Love in Space, Why Hath David Forsaken Us?, So, This Is It, What Next? What Now?, Digital Pressure, Space Cowboys, Lucy's Breakdown, Are You Frakkin' Kidding Me?, I'm A Frakkin' Cylon and Last Call. You also get The Oracle and Battlestar Actual viewing modes. S4.0 - Disc Two includes Faith, Guess What's Coming to Dinner, Sine Qua Non, The Hub and Revelations. Faith includes commentary with Moore and producers Bradley Thompson and David Weddle. Guess What's Coming to Dinner includes commentary with Moore and writer Michael Angeli. Sine Qua Non includes commentary with Moore and writer Michael Taylor. The Hub includes commentary with Moore, co-executive producer Jane Espenson, editor Michael O'Halloran and supervising editor Andrew Seklir. Revelations includes commentary with Moore, Weddle, Thompson and editor Julius Ramsay. Also included are some 10 minutes with of deleted scenes from all the episodes (including three Blu-ray exclusive deleted scenes), 4 featurettes (The Journey, Cylons: The Twelve, Season 4.5: The Untold Story - Untold and The Music of Battlestar Galactica) and a Caprica Sneak Peek. You also get The Oracle and Battlestar Actual viewing modes. S4.5 - Disc One includes Sometimes a Great Notion, the broadcast version of A Disquiet Follows My Soul, the A Disquiet Follows My Soul: Extended Version (10 minutes longer), The Oath and Blood on the Scales, all with Moore podcast commentary. Deleted scenes are available for Sometimes a Great Notion, The Oath and Blood on the Scales (16 minutes). There a featurette in full HD (The Journey Ends: The Arrival), one in SD but full 5.1 audio (Evolution of a Cue) and the What the Frak is Going On with Battlestar Galactica? "superfast" recap video some of you might remember from SciFi.com. There's also a hidden Easter egg [Editor's Note: It's a 2-minute video on music editing - click RIGHT from the Evolution of a Clue selection to find it.], The Oracle and Battlestar Actual viewing modes, BD-Live access and the Battlestar Galactica: Ultimate Battle BD-Live Card Game. S4.5 - Disc Two includes the episodes No Exit, Deadlock, Someone to Watch Over Me, the broadcast version of Islanded in a Stream of Stars and the Islanded in a Stream of Stars: Extended Version (20 minutes longer), all with Moore commentary. The Islanded in a Stream of Stars: Extended Version also has commentary with star (and episode director) Edward James Olmos. Deleted scenes are available for No Exit, Deadlock and Someone to Watch Over Me (21 minutes). You get 11 more David Eick Video Blogs (46 minutes) including No Retreat, No Surrender, The Hatch, The Fifth is Among Us, Action Please, Hanging in the Background, Some Guy Named Colin, Part II, A Cylon 'Til the End, Inserts, Action & FX, Documenting Battlestar Galactica, Life on a Cylon Battleship and Favorite Battlestar Galactica Moment. And there's also The Oracle and Battlestar Actual viewing modes. Last but not least, S4.5 - Disc Three closes out the set (and the series) with the multi-part series finale, including the broadcast versions of Daybreak: Part 1 and Daybreak: Parts 2 & 3, as well as a combined Daybreak: Extended Version of all three episodes presented as one (via seamless branching - it's 30 minutes longer). All include Moore podcast commentary, and the Daybreak: Extended Version features a bonus commentary with Moore and Eick. There are 6 minutes of additional deleted scenes and a trio of HD featurettes (70 minutes in all, including the 5-part A Look Back, ...And They Have a Plan and the Blu-ray exclusive The Musicians Behind Daybreak). Finally, there's Battlestar Actual again and the Blu-ray exclusive What the Frak Happened to You? HD viewing mode on the Daybreak: Extended Version. " So it looks like you do need 4.0, 4.5, the Plan? I believe... Razor is included in this complete set. So...definitely a good plan waiting and seeing what amazon will do tomorrow. Can hardly contain my excitement at this point. They could run out so I'm taking my password for amazon to work. Really hate doing that but by God I could order this early in the morning. My guess...they price it super low and radioman missing out because he didn't stay up until midnight to order. hahaha!

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
I So it looks like you do need 4.0, 4.5, the Plan? I believe... Razor is included in this complete set. So...definitely a good plan waiting and seeing what amazon will do tomorrow. Can hardly contain my excitement at this point. They could run out so I'm taking my password for amazon to work. Really hate doing that but by God I could order this early in the morning. My guess...they price it super low and radioman missing out because he didn't stay up until midnight to order. hahaha!
Not exactly. The only Season 4 released in the US in the the one that includes the entire season on 6 discs and includes the 2 versions of Razor. I;'ve seen the Season 2 Bluray box listed as 2.0 at Walmart.com for some reason and that never was released in 2.0/2.5 form in the US (on Bluray). Stolen from bluray.com -- credit to willbueche ""There is no "4.0" in the US. The BluRay release of the complete season four is called "Battlestar Galactica: Season Four", with roman letters not numerals. How did this mess begin? Like this: In the United States, season 4.5 (with numerals) was released early to tie-in with the end of the show. A bit later, the seasons began to be released in sequential order starting from the start: One, Two, Three, and then came Four (roman letters all) without any regard to the previous release of 4.5 (which was discontinued). In the UK, they took a different approach. They divided season 4 into two sets -- "Season Four" a.k.a. "4.0" (the first 3 discs) and "The Final Season" (the last 3 discs) ("The Final Season" being what we in the US called "4.5"). So: In the US, if you are starting to buy Battlestar Galactica fresh (without ever having owned any of it before) all you need to buy are One, Two, Three, and Four (and also buy The Plan), and you'll have everything. You do not need to buy 4.5. In the US, if you already bought the discontinued 4.5 and can't get rid of it on ebay, you could buy Season One, Two, and Three from the US, and then import Battlestar Galactica 4.0 from England (which contains the first 3 discs of season 4), (and also buy The Plan from the US), and you'll have everything. ""

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
I'm in that same boat although I grew up on the original series. this reboot looks wonderfully sharp and I've always meant to see it. This is an outstanding deal. Although I'm wondering what amazon is going to offer the full set at. They seem to have the individual season nearly what walmart is doing. Loading stuff in my cart to get a total.... was wondering about that 4.5. >*>*>*> Confusion

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Bummers that Walmart stopped offering "in-store pickup" -- I also had some other BDs in my cart ready for order to have them shipped to my nearest FedEx office since they were counting that as "in-store pickup" for most of them this past week or so.

Anyway, now y'all have got me seriously considering this BSG reboot now.

_Man_

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
@Dave. I was thinking that was going to happen. sub $100 is mighty fine. Now, if they could only do this for 6 Million Dollar man... I'd be spending even more money I had earmarked for xmas gifts buying for OTHER people. :P In a amazon review that is actually for the blu ray set: First of all I would have given my review a five star rating had it not been for a shotty description of whats included on the discs. The series in itself and the video quality are superb, I love how each individual disk has a plastic holder with many collections today using cheap cardboard or paper sleaves that scrath the disks. Now to my WARNING, if you are like me you want to see everything from the series including both of their movies The Plan and Razor, well they are included on the blu-ray collection a + for the product, but nowhere on the amazon product description does it says so. So I ended up ordering Razor blu-ray separately as to have a full collection, at this point I had forgotten about The Plan movie and now I have made an unnecesary purchase and thats a double - in my book so thats where my 4 star rating comes. So If you order this you get everything to have a complete BSG experience and more just dont buy the movies separately. So it looks like all you have to do is order this set and you've got all the BG goodness. ...and I just did that. Cool!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I own the newer complete series set that is now on sale at

Amazon for just under $100.

It does include THE PLAN and at first I thought you would

have to buy RAZOR separately, but it is quietly tucked inside

the Season Four box inside the large set.

As I stated before, it's worth buying at this price. Just a few

things to be aware of (and mileage may vary)....

One of the best sci-fi shows EVER. The first two seasons

are just brilliant. The final two seasons kind of spiral downward,

making you wonder what the heck happened to the show.

Some fans of the original series could not get over the

changes in the reboot including the fact that Starbuck is

a woman.

The image quality on Season One (and perhaps two) is

not always optimal. Many, including myself, have complained

of excessive grain.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^awesomeness. Think the grain was intentional? ..oh yeah, the Starbuck thing was interesting. I don't think it will bother me so much. I have a thing for tough women. Well, tough exterior, all sugar and spice inside.. aaawwwww... btw, I was looking at the blu ray of The Earth Stood Still remake I picked up at Wally world on Black Fri and that set includes the classic original also on blu (not dated digital crap like The Wolfman included) all for $5! But the case didn't brag about that too much (should be in BIG letters on the front!). Very strange. A ploy to get us to buy the other stuff they don't list? But hiding it wouldn't exactly help sales... a mystery. I looked again and there is nothing but a very small print on the back at the bottom that kind of says we don't want to alarm you, or get you overly excited about this but...you get the original too on a separate blu ray too. we hope this isn't annoying or anything to you..it was really this guy Bob who told us to do it...he's new so we didn't want to make him feel unwelcome as the blu ray factory...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks