What's new

Alias Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian

Well I'm not going to pass judgement on the quality of the third season without having seen it, but based on my feelings on the second half of season 2 and the many comments here about season 3, I feel it's quite reasonable for me to decide not to shell out $40-$45 for something that I don't have much faith in. Thus I'll netflix it.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

Thats the best decision if you haven't seen it. Rent it and if you like it you can purchase it later on.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
There was a certain amount of charm in season 1 when Sydney was shown spending time with her friends.

Of course, it was only inevitable that her friends would become victims to Sydney's work.

It doesn't seem to odd that Sydney would avoid outside relationships after all that has transpired. We all knew that she and Vaughn were interested in each other.

The two year gap...as much as anything else...hurt continuity. The same thing happened in Day 3 of "24."

The show has always defied logics and took leaps in the willful suspension of disbelief department.

The reason the show likely doesn't have larger following is the fact that it doesn't try for "gritty realism" (whatever that is).

I'll be interested to see what Abrams does in Season 4.

Like "24," the third season meandered a bit. However, both shows still rank highly for me on a TV lineup that includes more-and-more Law & Orders and CSIs.

ScottNJ

Auditioning
First off, this another good Alias set. I like the packaging and there are just enough extras.

In regards to the image quality on this set... I watched most of Season 3 in HD when it originally aired. I can say that this DVD transfer is consistent with what I saw in HD. The occasional grainy VHS quality scenes were there in HD as well.

Rob T

Screenwriter
It arrived today from amazon. I'l start watching it in a few days. I'm re-watching season 2 first. :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Got mine late yesterday. Like some here, watching the dvds without seeing the show first works better for me than seeing or taping it Sunday nights.

Finished Disc 1 last night. Sometimes, the image was breathtaking and some night shots did look rather grainy. Audio seems richer though so far with a decent low end.

I'll re-state: I LOVED season 1 & 2. And this quote from page 2 here is right on:

Agreed. The latter half of S2 worked for me though because of Sloan and Derevco (hot-mommy) ;)

From reading about the drastic fall of ratings and thoughts here about S3 I have gone in rather guarded and expecting not to like it.

So far, it's ok. But not in the same league as S1/S2.

Lauren, Vaughn's wife is already irritating me. I know this sounds rather mean, but her mouth is weird and bothers me. Guess that's also a rather shallow comment to make, but I can't deny I notice that.

The other thing that's missing so far is Will & Francie. Those characters brought a sense of "us" into this spy world. Their touching, romantic, and funny scenes helped make the show work and helped me stay grounded when the plot or stunts got a little silly.

Someone just tell me this and nothing else because I would rather know now then spend the entire season waiting: Do Will or Francie return? Use spoilers for those who have better discipline than I do.

Also, just thru episode 4, it's clear they are setting up a Weiss and Sidney fling. That will be strange but I'm guessing it's going to happen.

Back to viewing. :)

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
Has anyone here ever ordered from deepdiscountdvd.com ? I usually order from amazon.com but I did not want to pay as much for season 3(for obvious reasons) so i ordered it from DDD on monday, but now its almost thursday and they still haven't shipped it out. Does anyone here who is familiar with them know how long it usually takes for them to ship?

When it said on the site that it takes 5 days, I thought they meant 5 days until I get it.

. I'm not sure if it was really the Lauren storyline, or that I started reading Alias fan sites and ended up nitpicking the show more or if it was the erractic airing schedule(watching 4 episodes per night or 1 episode every 4 weeks? come on!).

I'm really looking forward to the 4th season though, if they're really serious about getting back to basics. Season 1 and 2 are great for me because of the focus on Sydney's family rather than her love interest.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Rewatching the pilot, it's still very amazing for me. It's very well done, and would have easily worked as a movie, had it been a little longer.

It's definitely lost the charm over the last season. I hope JJ takes the show back to the beginning with this new season. We need more of Sydney's life outside of work, and we need more of a tension with keeping her life as an agent a secret.

Does the packaging fit on the shelf with the other seasons?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
it is thinner, about 3/4 the spine width of the previous sets, if not thinner.

i picked it up and probably won't get around to watching it until Oct when i get some down time.

it funny, but the 'normal life' sub plots of the first season were about the only thing i didn't care for in that season.

i was very difficult for me to buy that the character would come back from some wacked out, intense op overseas in some exotic venue, and then just casually sit down with a pint of ice cream and act out a scene from Felicity.
or care about some mundane relationship minutiae of her rommates, when she has just compromised a stockpile of WMDs , or what have you.
i was actually happy to see her roommate (and that life) go.

i did like Will though.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Will kind of annoyed me until he showed his nerve under torture and gave "Glasses" a taste of his medicine. His return in Season 3 was also one of the highlights of the season.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I do wish the packaging was the same as seasons 1 & 2. It is thinner than those sets. Oh, well, what matters is that I own them all now.

Regarding deepdiscountdvd.com:

Their free shipping is slow as is Amazons. Usually takes about 7-10 days for the free shipping.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Poor Will has really had to pay the price for his curiousity (telling the world he's on drugs, losing his job and almost his life and then his identity to the WPP).

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Hi, my name is Lanie Parker and I am a long time Will fan!

I've always loved Will and from the beginning I wanted Will and Sidney to get together. I am not a fan of Vaughn at all. I mean as far as love interest for Sid goes. I would have preferred Sark and Sidney over Vaughn and Sidney.

I have a major feeling that regarding Vaughns' wife she....

was put there by Sloan in order to infiltrate the CIA. I think later it's going to come out that she only married Vaughn to get an insider look at things.

I don't particularly care for her either, but I think her character is important to the plot. That's what I gather so far from my viewing.

Anyway, as far as aesthetics go, I think the case looks great. It may not flow with the series packaging from the first two seasons, but that has never been a big deal to me.

I haven't read the booklet yet ( afraid of spoilers) and I am so excited to get to the bonus features!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
the one plus is that it frees up a little more shelf space.

for me, space is at a premium and gets scarcer and scarcer every week.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Has anyone listened to the commentaries yet? I just listened to Conscious and man, Ken Olin can bring the funny. A particularly priceless moment is when:

Ken slips into an impression of Jennifer Garner's mother

And for those of you disappointed with S3, here's what J.J. is saying about S4:

I just wrote the first episode, which I am as excited about as I have been about any episode I've ever done. I'm so happy that we get this shot. [We're] using what was working and going back to that in a way. You'll see what we're doing, and it's so immediately, for me, satisfying. I hope people like it. But I know that where I was really unhappy with it, I'm really happy now. The irony is that I felt the show was at its best.. when SD-6 existed and that's sortta the biggest hint that I will give in that storyline"

And apparently, according to an article in USA Today, Nadia is getting an uncle played by the brilliant Joel Grey! Squee!!

Rob T

Screenwriter
Anybody get an audio dropout on the 2nd episode at 6:42 when Jack is talking about the 2 agents that got kidnapped by the covenant?
It goes silent for the word group the goes back to normal. :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks