What's new

Ain't It Cool News also reporting Raiders for December.... (1 Viewer)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
What is so dangerous about a guy like Harry Knowles is that he gives good HTF members bad ideas. :)

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
While there may be little disagreement about Harry's, well, shall I say 'attitude' sometimes, the Raiders December release is not something only he has talked about. Certainly I take everything he says with a big block of salt, but taken in conjunction with what others have said I see it as growing confirmation of an imminent release for this DVD. Maybe an August announcement?!!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Should be pointed out that specific article is not written by Knowles, but in fact Moriarty who attended the Fellowship DVD Event last week and picked up on this Raiders "news"...

Dan

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
So what was a Paramount guy in a position to know this high-level stuff doing at a New Line/Warner Brothers event? :)

Miles

Second Unit
The high-def transfer was probably done some time ago as Raiders and TOD were shown in 1080i on ABC about a month ago :)
Miles

DanR

Supporting Actor
This is no real big revelation, whether true or false it doesn't add anything. We've known this title was in the works for the past 6 months. When you take Ron Epstein's "It's not on the Paramount schedule they gave me, but that doesn't mean it's not coming", The Digital Bits' "if all goes well, Raiders could make it this year", and Spielberg's recent comments, it all becomes quite clear...

Lucasfilm and/or Paramount are working at least Raiders of the Lost Ark. They are putting quite a bit of work into it, and there is no specified release date...yet. It is not on Paramount's release schedule because they simply do not know when it's going to be done (or Lucasfilm is not committing to a delivery date).

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that we will have at least one Indiana Jones movie on DVD by Summer 2003. If they release them separately, maybe they will do it more quickly than one per year. Maybe it will go something like Winter 2002, Summer 2003, and Winter 2003 (if we get lucky) OR more likely Summer 2003, Winter 2003, Summer 2004 which would lead nicely into a Indiana Jones 4 theatrical release...

Just my $0.02.

Regards,

Dan

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Speilburg has said that he wants a big theatrical re-release for Raiders after doing ET, so I would factor that in personally.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
He's a year late for a 20th anniversary re-release. I think they should just release the Jones films on DVD and wait 4 years for a theatrical re-release.

Same with the BTTF films - on DVD now and in theaters in 2005 for its twentieth anniversary.

That's just my .02

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
I really hope Spielberg doesn't re-release Raiders or any other Indy film theatrically because he'll end up adding cheesy CGI effects to them. I'm all for a re-master on an older film, but I decided to boycott the E.T. release personally. The extra scenes may not seriously distract me from the film, but I feel that he could just as easily have left well enough alone and put those extra scenes on the coming dvd release instead. Just my 2 cents. Regardless, I eagerly anticipate the Indy Trilogy on dvd whenever that may be.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I suspect the only digital enhancing for the Indy movies is really just digital recompositing. Some of the optical effects will look poor on modern video and film technology.

I'm looking forward to whatever form the films will be in. The more Indy, the better! (I'll definately have to buy the DVD's when they come out.)

Ash Williams

Second Unit
Yeah chances are Speilberg will do a re-release of Raiders. And chances are even better that he will add new scenes and updated effects. I think the main reason that Spielberg, like his pal George, update thier films is so that when they do a re-release, there is more of a draw to go see them. Which in turn generates more green stuff. The main reason that I go to these re-releases is so that I can see them on the big screen again, simple as that. If they didn't have updated effects I would still go. But thats just me. I don't think we will see Raiders on DVD this year. I hope to God I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks