What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... The Mel Brooks Collection (1 Viewer)

Antonio S

Stunt Coordinator
About to "whip this out" also, 'till I read a review at Amazon for this set.
Reviewer claims that Young Frankenstein and History of the World Part II are not anamorphic. ??

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Which is precisely why one should read reviews on HTF and The Bits...

Amazon sells power tools.

RAH

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I was sort of hoping to see "Robin Hood: Men In Tights" released individually, but considering I have none of the movies in this set, it'd be a good purchase. I've only seen 3 of the 8 films included so it'll be a treat to see more of Mel Brooks' work. The only Brooks films I've seen are "Men In Tights", "Spaceballs", "Blazing Saddles", and "Dracula: Dead And Loving It". This should be a really fun set to sit through.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
So, what other Mel Brooks films would I need to get for a great and/or complete collection, in addition to this set? I need to get the new Spaceballs release for sure, but then I'm wondering what other Brooks movies are out.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
The problem with Amazon is that if there is one edition of a movie and then a later release that's remastered, the reviews show for the old edition too.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
So glad for the confirmation that YF & HotWPt1 are now anamorphic! Given that Fox seems be to be releasing enhanced upgrades of many of their earlier letterboxed titles (Apes films, Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Longest Day) it didn't make any sense that they would skip these two. As I only have the older non-anamorphic YF and Warner's Blazing Saddles (was there really any need to put this long-available SE in the box??), I'll be grabbing this one.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I believe that Blazing Saddles is the older non-30th Anniversary edition.

RAH

Antonio S

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, noticed the same review anomolies, Robert.
I'm pretty much still at the beginning of my film collecting. Usually I can find a better price at Amazon and free shipping for an order over twenty five bucks.
I did log in at said Mel Brooks ad/ review section, and voice my displeasure concerning the misleading anamorphic info.

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
Still can't understand why Brooks would only do 55 minutes of commentary on both DVD release's of Blazing Saddles..

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Because it isn't a commentary? I remember someone mentioning in a review that it's actually Mel Brooks chatting to someone about the film for an hour, which they've edited and copied onto one of the tracks than tried to pass off as a commentary. Still well worth listening to for facts and anecdotes on this classic comedy but hopefully he will do a scene specific commentary on some future edition.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
So the version of Blazing Saddles in this set is the old version? If I'm not mistaken, the recent "30th Anniv." edition featured a better transfer.

That might be a deal-breaker...

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Amazon's listing for the new boxset says:

I'm pretty sure that of those special features, the Brooks commentary/interview was the only one on the non-30th anniversary edition, and that all the other extras were new for the 30th anniversary disc. So I'm reasonably sure that the boxset does include the 30th anniversary disc. If it doesn't, that listing is wrong.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

RAH, can you absolutely confirm your set includes an anamorphic Young Frankenstein? Mine does NOT! It's the same old transfer for the original DVD. History of the World IS anamorphic, but YF most definitely isn't.

Here's the question: was this a quality control mistake or are all the copies non-anamorphic? If anyone out there - RAH or anyone else - has seen it, let me know whether yours is 16X9 or not...

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
My friends, this is starting to look like one big PASS, which is a shame as this was a set a long time in the making, and I was so looking forward to picking this up. What a disappointment!

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
This is distressing news. If they used the old disc for Blazing Saddles that's bad, but I have the new one so not a loss for me. But I absolutely want Young Frankenstein and HotW anamorphic.

I should have my hands on this no later than Friday. Some Fox stuff I've been getting earlier, maybe Wednesday. I hope to have good news at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks