What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Blue Lagoon -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I agree. I was unhappy with the 4x3 presentation of Summer Lovers on DVD.
Jon Hertzberg said:
Sure would love a Blu of SUMMER LOVERS alongside this one, also with Poledouris' score on an isolated track.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I fully concur with the wonderful reviews of this disc, and kudos to TT. But I see that we still have these damn timelines on pause mode that cannot be removed. I have a real issue with this, not only with Twilight Time, but also Dreamworks and a few other companies. Why do we get these now? Have there been hundreds of requests to impose non-removable timelines? I would guess, no. Have there been at least that many requests to make them removable? I would guess, yes. Am I all wrong here?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Dick said:
I fully concur with the wonderful reviews of this disc, and kudos to TT. But I see that we still have these damn timelines on pause mode that cannot be removed. I have a real issue with this, not only with Twilight Time, but also Dreamworks and a few other companies. Why do we get these now? Have there been hundreds of requests to impose non-removable timelines? I would guess, no. Have there been at least that many requests to make them removable? I would guess, yes. Am I all wrong here?
You are not wrong. This movie is really hard to pause and see the nudity!!!

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Dick said:
I don't get it, either. Dumb feature to say the least.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
For me, that old man will always be remembered for the role he was playing on tv at the time he was washed up with Brooke and Chris on the island -- that of Horace Rumpole, "Rumpole of the Bailey", husband of 'she who must be obeyed'....

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Brian McP said:
For me, that old man will always be remembered for the role he was playing on tv at the time he was washed up with Brooke and Chris on the island -- that of Horace Rumpole, "Rumpole of the Bailey", husband of 'she who must be obeyed'....
His favorite character of mine was his scenery-chewing turn as Prof. Moriarity in 1975's underrated "The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother," opposite Gene Wilder. The drinking scene with Dom DeLuise is worth the price of tracking down that dvd!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley /t/325986/a-few-words-about-the-blue-lagoon-in-blu-ray#post_4014592
The drinking scene with Dom DeLuise is worth the price of tracking down that dvd!

You know Ethan, it's early and I'm in the middle of my first cup of coffee and I first read that sentence as "worth the price of tracking down that DUD!" I thought, "what??? Is he crazy?? I always really liked that movie, it's so delightfully silly and maintains a great sense of stylized period!" Oh well, needless to say I was happy to see I was wrong.

Regarding BLUE LAGOON, this one will always hold a special place in my heart. When it first came out I was only twelve so I was too young to go to see it (the lure of the forbidden!) but the ads and the surrounding hoopla of its release that summer was enough to make me realize (by looking at Christopher Atkins in his loincloth) that I was, perhaps, different than other little boys!

The blu-ray is absolutely stunning, even besides the impossibly nubile beauty of Shields and Atkins. I have seen it countless times over the years and there were things I saw that I have never noticed before (not to mention, for those so inclined, that there are moments you can actually COUNT the pubic hairs on Christoper Atkins and his bits n' pieces pop out of his "costumes" far more times than I remembered) The beautiful cinematography is well served. It probably looks better than it has any right to but I'm not complaining.

I had read solid reviews for the blu prior to getting my copy in the mail last Thursday, so I was prepared for an eye-popping treat when I loaded the disc. I was initially underwhelmed because I had completely forgotten that the early shipboard scenes were shot in subdued, desaturated colors that only spring to life once the trio hits the island. I'm not sure if it's just my memory or that the earlier home video incarnations didn't portray the difference as starkly but what a great looking disc!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I'm glad all the commentary tracks got ported over. The Atkins commentary is entertaining. He is definitely a free spirit.
This film also makes a nice book end to Atkins brief scenes in Kleiser's autobiographical film It's My Party, shot ~20 years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks