What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Gangs of New York (Take Two) -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
If there is a thing Mr. Harris does not like at all it's abuse of the term "restoration".
What a lovely thread.

bosque

Agent
Real Name
Robert Evans
I note this is now released as part of the "Miramax Award-Winning Collection" - I'm being picky but does the back of the sleeve reveal which award Gangs of New York won ?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by bosque

I note this is now released as part of the "Miramax Award-Winning Collection" - I'm being picky but does the back of the sleeve reveal which award Gangs of New York won ?
According to the IMDB, Daniel Day-Lewis won a bunch of acting awards (from a BAFTA to the Vancouver Film Critic Circle) and Scorsese won a Golden Globe for directing.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sounds like some awesome "restoration" work and intriquing backstory on it. Did they include a featurette on the nitty gritty details of all that -- maybe even w/ contrib from Scorsese "in character" as the director to boot?

Is that just the slipcover or the actual cover art insert for the case?

If it's slipcover, that probably wouldn't help Mike since he's thinking along the lines of buying it used, which likely means no slipcover, that is if he can even find it used at some point.

_Man_

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by TravisR

According to the IMDB, Daniel Day-Lewis won a bunch of acting awards (from a BAFTA to the Vancouver Film Critic Circle) and Scorsese won a Golden Globe for directing.
U2 also won the Golden Globe for Song. The back of the package noted both Golden Globe wins (and all 10 Oscar nominations, though it conveniently leaves out that it lost them all).

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
That was funny...I neeed to read that today. What other films can have their stickers restored...
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

To be perfectly candid, I may have mis-read the "restoration" comment on the sticker.

It is entirely possible that what was being referred to was not the film, but rather a digital restoration of the sticker. If that's the case, I'm fine with it, as the sticker is, in its own way, quite lovely. This could be the very first "digitally restored" adhesive sticker.

RAH

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Its nice to now replace my older, two disc SD DVD for a proper, albeit later, edition of the blu-ray. This film had quite ab impact on me when it was released and although it doesnt rank as one of the director's best, it is a standing achievement of what film-making is capable of, something I think is over shadowed by how reliant modern filmmakers are on CGI to build there sets and productions for them. You can feel the dirt and grit in the picture with GONY, it doesnt have that sterile, artificial look and feel.

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
I've just checked and unfortunately I have the Blu-Ray (R2) with the full size photo of the characters, rather than the black-letter boxed version

this means I have the older release of the Blu?

I have not watched it yet, should I be worried?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by hampsteadbandit

I've just checked and unfortunately I have the Blu-Ray (R2) with the full size photo of the characters, rather than the black-letter boxed version

this means I have the older release of the Blu?

I have not watched it yet, should I be worried?
R2 = Region 2?

I can only speak for the US releases. Check the back of the box. If the audio is PCM and not DTS-HD MA you have the old release.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I happened to see the new R1 cover (with the thick black frame around the picture of the principals) at a local store yesterday ($35 @ FYE).

The "All New Digital Restoration" sticker was front and center and looked like it was on the exterior of the cellophane wrapping.

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
back of my Region 2 copy says "DTS 5.1 surround sound"

does this mean its the later release?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just ordered this title from Amazon.

It's a little disturbing that people are paying a premium
($26 for a catalog title) for a title that has been remastered
because it wasn't done right in the first place.

Unfortunately, saps like me willing to pay the higher premium
are the reason why the studios price these things the way they do.

Give credit to Disney for remastering this.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein ">[/url]

Give credit to Disney for remastering this. [/QUOTE]I give them credit for taking your money.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

I bought a copy at Best Buy last week and had a $5.00 reward zone coupon, but never opened my copy, I think it is great Disney redid the disc etc, but it is high for most people. It should be selling at 19.99. I am returning my copy today for VEGA$ Season 1 Volume 2.

I can buy this when the price drops.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I think Mr. Harris' account of the extraordinary efforts required to restore this aging masterpiece deserves more attention, perhaps in the form of a feature-length documentary. Peter Jackson would be the perfect director to helm this as a nice companion piece to his "Forgotten Silver" documentary.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp

I'll give credit to Disney when they give a free replacement (including shipping both ways) to people who bought the previous release.

Quote:
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I give them credit for taking your money.[/COLOR]
Agreed!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
And then I will look forward to the restoration of Jackson's documentary in a couple of years...and Ken Burns can do the documentary of the restoration of the Documentary of the Restoration of Gangs of New York.

How come I can so easily hear Nigel Tufnel saying the above line? [/url]

I think Mr. Harris' account of the extraordinary efforts required to restore this aging masterpiece deserves more attention, perhaps in the form of a feature-length documentary. Peter Jackson would be the perfect director to helm this as a nice companion piece to his "Forgotten Silver" documentary.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For those who may not be familiar with Forgotten Silver, it should be considered required viewing for any cinephile.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks