What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Fright Night (1985) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
My wife has never seen this movie, and last night we watched the BR together on our 63" plasma. It truly is as good as RAH says. My wife loved it. It looks they way i wish every BR looked: An accurate representation of the original film.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Twilight Time posted a little bit ago on FB that they have less than 118 copies left, plus 30 of the autographed ones (for the deal they announced last week). left.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
bgart13 said:
Twilight Time posted a little bit ago on FB that they have less than 118 copies left, plus 30 of the autographed ones (for the deal they announced last week). left.
I have to wait until thursday if I want to order, guess it'll be gone by then. Oh well. Btw no twilight time FB page that I could see but i did find a Screen Archives page. https://www.facebook.com/screenarchives?sk=wall

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
So, it's sold out. It kills me, just kills me to see a bunch of copies on E-Bay selling for up to triple the original price. And people are buying them!!!

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Got my copy as an early XMas present today (along with MYSTERIOUS ISLAND)- a BEAUTIFUL presentation to say the least!!! Vincent

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Bryan^H said:
So, it's sold out. It kills me, just kills me to see a bunch of copies on E-Bay selling for up to triple the original price. And people are buying them!!!
That tells me the asking price wasn't too high.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Current price on Amazon, now $80.

If Sony decides to re-issue, that could occur as early as December 2014.

There have been ongoing discussions on various websites, including HTF, regarding price and availability, and why not to purchase.
For those who may not be aware, there is a HUGE difference between Twilight Time Blu-ray releases with a limited pressing of 3,000,

and the old Anchor Bay concept of a limited 100,000, with serial numbers, or even the Disney special editions.

Fright Night is the perfect example of what occurs when a very popular film arrives in a very limited (contractually) pressing.

Please keep this in mind in the future to avoid disappointment.

RAH

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
No ill will expressed or implied to those who missed out, but I've been breathing some huge sighs of relief. Especially since I was a late convert to this title. And in this instance, five minutes could very well have defined "late".

Now, where to safely store it? In the vault, next to "Dr. Syn"?

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Well my copy arrived Thursday morning but I just finished watching it a short while ago. Short but sweet, I won't use words like "perfect" but it did in fact look damn good for a film of it's vintage. I know some have complained of the poorly placed chapter stops but what annoyed me most were the sound effects as you navigated the menu. In the end I'm glad I own the BD, not terribly enthused about the price for a featureless release (I could swallow $25 a bit easier though) but it is what it is. If you're only looking for a quality presentation of the film itself, "Fright Night" certainly delivers.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Michael Allred said:
Well my copy arrived Thursday morning but I just finished watching it a short while ago. Short but sweet, I won't use words like "perfect" but it did in fact look damn good for a film of it's vintage. I know some have complained of the poorly placed chapter stops but what annoyed me most were the sound effects as you navigated the menu. In the end I'm glad I own the BD, not terribly enthused about the price for a featureless release (I could swallow $25 a bit easier though) but it is what it is. If you're only looking for a quality presentation of the film itself, "Fright Night" certainly delivers.
Ultimately isn't that really what we are all looking for? The bonus features are just that, a bonus. Don't get my wrong I love extra features, but for me its about the film. I know that we have all become a little spoiled with DVD's under $20, and blu-ray dropping into that price range. But if its a film that I REALLY want, I don't mind paying more to get it. And that is really the customer that these limited editions are focusing on. By now the studios know through market research, which titles are going to sell enough to make it worth while to release and which aren't. This model, not unlike the Warner Archive, is a way to get those films out that just won't get a release any other way. Doug

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Douglas Monce said:
Ultimately isn't that really what we are all looking for? The bonus features are just that, a bonus. Don't get my wrong I love extra features, but for me its about the film. I know that we have all become a little spoiled with DVD's under $20, and blu-ray dropping into that price range. But if its a film that I REALLY want, I don't mind paying more to get it. And that is really the customer that these limited editions are focusing on. By now the studios know through market research, which titles are going to sell enough to make it worth while to release and which aren't. This model, not unlike the Warner Archive, is a way to get those films out that just won't get a release any other way. Doug
Ultimately? Well I can't speak for everyone, just myself but no. If I'm a super fan of a movie, I'd like to see as many features as possible in addition to a quality presentation of the film itself and for a premium price, I don't think that's asking for too much. Now I don't know why Sony would demand that TT could not produce any bonus features for this release (of course this is assuming they even would/could have if given the opportunity) as it seems they themselves have little to no interest in the title at all. Very strange stipulation to add into a licensing agreement, I mean why would they care?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Michael Allred said:
Ultimately? Well I can't speak for everyone, just myself but no. If I'm a super fan of a movie, I'd like to see as many features as possible in addition to a quality presentation of the film itself and for a premium price, I don't think that's asking for too much. Now I don't know why Sony would demand that TT could not produce any bonus features for this release (of course this is assuming they even would/could have if given the opportunity) as it seems they themselves have little to no interest in the title at all. Very strange stipulation to add into a licensing agreement, I mean why would they care?
Read the interview with Twilight Time's Nick Redman. His company doesn't have the funding to produce their own extras, and the studios, I suspect for legal reasons, for the most part aren't licensing them out. In the interview he states that The Big Heat is a title that is in the works. That is a film that I would gladly pay $35 for, bonus features or no. Doug

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Douglas Monce said:
Read the interview with Twilight Time's Nick Redman. His company doesn't have the funding to produce their own extras, and the studios, I suspect for legal reasons, for the most part aren't licensing them out. In the interview he states that The Big Heat is a title that is in the works. That is a film that I would gladly pay $35 for, bonus features or no. Doug
Well then there you have it, TT couldn't. Fair enough though I DO wonder if something could've been worked out to acquire those two commentary tracks for the disc. Technically TT didn't make them or pay to have them made so perhaps wouldn't have been an issue with Sony? Just thinking out loud here.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Michael Allred said:
Well then there you have it, TT couldn't. Fair enough though I DO wonder if something could've been worked out to acquire those two commentary tracks for the disc. Technically TT didn't make them or pay to have them made so perhaps wouldn't have been an issue with Sony? Just thinking out loud here.
It really depends on the agreements Sony has with those people who created and participated in any bonus features that may exist. It maybe that they have to pay those people all over again in order to license the extras out to a 3rd party company. I don't know that that is always the case, but knowing how things work with soundtracks, and how often times musicians have to be paid their salery in full a second time to release a soundtrack album, it wouldn't surprise me. Doug

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

Originally Posted by Michael Allred [url=/t/316846/a-few-words-about-fright-night-1985-in-blu-ray/90#post_3881858]

It really depends on the agreements Sony has with those people who created and participated in any bonus features that may exist. It maybe that they have to pay those people all over again in order to license the extras out to a 3rd party company. I don't know that that is always the case, but knowing how things work with soundtracks, and how often times musicians have to be paid their salery in full a second time to release a soundtrack album, it wouldn't surprise me.

Doug

Based on the interview, if the studios are willing to license the special features (including commentaries), Twilight Time will make every effort to include them. Like Doug said, for various reasons the studios don't always allow them to be licensed with the film. Twilight Time does make an effort to try to get any existing features.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
It seems the on-line commentaries for FRIGHT NIGHT had nothing to do with the studio at all. If you listen to them you don't even hear any of the film sounds, just the participants speaking, so the studio would have no ownership of those commentaries at all, rather the website that commissioned and posted them would have the rights. Vincent

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Vincent_P said:
It seems the on-line commentaries for FRIGHT NIGHT had nothing to do with the studio at all. If you listen to them you don't even hear any of the film sounds, just the participants speaking, so the studio would have no ownership of those commentaries at all, rather the website that commissioned and posted them would have the rights. Vincent
Right but monetary issues would still remain though.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Vincent_P said:
That is exactly the model that Rifftrax uses, and the reason they are able to do commentaries on popular movies like Batman and Star Wars, which they sell for between $2 and $3. Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks