1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Ella Enchanted -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    Ella Enchanted, directed by Tommy O'Haver, is a charming fairy tale-ish film, about a very special kingdom, and the problematic enchantment affecting life of one of its inhabitants, young Ella.

Ella is a virtual show-piece for the then 21 year-old Anne Hathaway -- it was her fourth film -- and she's supported by some terrific talent, including Hugh Dancy, Cary Elwes, Minnie Driver and Eric Idle.

Shot on film, and finished in 2k, Ella is a beautiful combination of reality and digital. The opening sequence traveling over the kingdom sets the stage beautifully, allowing us to get the lay of the land.

While I'm not seeing this as an ultimate adult crowd-pleaser, it serves well in the child to teen category, for which programming is usually a bit thin.

The Blu-ray, rendered from the 2k digital files, is smooth, clean, and totally representative of the original film out.

Audio is Dolby Digital and DTS-HD MA.

One of a handful of newer films that meet the needs of the age group. Superior entertainment.

Recommended.

RAH

2. David Weicker

David Weicker Well-Known Member

David
    I had purchased the Alliance release a few years ago. While I liked the film and its presentation, the disc itself went beyond barebones - no menu and non-marked chapter-stops.
    Can you tell me if this is a new release, and if these two features are present
    David

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    Reasonably packed. Deleted and extended scenes. Feature commentary with O'Haver, Hathaway and Dancy, and more.

A solid release.

RAH

4. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I have always really liked this movie and am really glad to see it come to Blu-ray. Its a great family film.

5. Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn Well-Known Member

It starts out a little slow, but the second and third acts are quite entertaining (in a corny sort of way).