What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ "Bullitt" -- in HD & Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

With all due respect, I seriously doubt Warner is recalling a BRD that's been in release for over 4 years. Hopefully, they will at least re-release this down the road without these issues.
The more appropriate term would have been to institute a replacement program. Difficult to recall something in distribution for that length of time. There can be an order for no additional replication however. Just a pity, and a waste of energy besides.

It is so easy to get these things correct, that changes such as these make no sense.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
Quote:
The more appropriate term would have been to institute a replacement program. Difficult to recall something in distribution for that length of time. There can be an order for no additional replication however. Just a pity, and a waste of energy besides.

It is so easy to get these things correct, that changes such as these make no sense.

RAH
That would be nice, but again, I don't see them doing that at this late date with the beancounters getting their say.

Crawdaddy

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
That would be nice, but again, I don't see them doing that at this late date with the beancounters getting their say

Crawdaddy
Just going on record.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
What I don't understand is why the group responsible for the 2005 remaster did this. I'd be curious if Yates was involved.

As I said earlier, its a very subtle edit and while I always knew the frames of black where there in the earlier LD/DVD edition on a sub-conscience level, until I did the frame by frame study, I never knew it was actual black frames.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelson Au
What I don't understand is why the group responsible for the 2005 remaster did this. I'd be curious if Yates was involved.

As I said earlier, its a very subtle edit and while I always knew the frames of black where there in the earlier LD/DVD edition on a sub-conscience level, until I did the frame by frame study, I never knew it was actual black frames.
A myriad of potential occurrences are possible. One is that someone in the final prep stages noted what appeared to be slugs in the transfer, and decided to fix it.

Really doesn't matter. The overriding point is that it is not the original film. Had anyone the desire to check the "problem," they could have either referenced an original print or the original negative cutting continuity. Not at all difficult.

RAH

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
Quote:

A myriad of potential occurrences are possible.  One is that someone in the final prep stages noted what appeared to be slugs in the transfer, and decided to fix it. Really doesn't matter.  The overriding point is that it is not the original film.  Had anyone the desire to check the "problem," they could have either referenced an original print or the original negative cutting continuity.  Not at all difficult. RAH
Agreed. In the mean time, until a new version comes out, hold onto that older 1997 DVD.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Nelson Au said:
Agreed.
In the mean time, until a new version comes out, hold onto that older 1997 DVD.
Or blink rapidly during the sequence.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Robert Harris said:
/forum/thread/252940/a-few-words-about-bullitt-in-hd-blu-ray/30#post_3810735
The cat and mouse game played out before the chase actually began is why I prefer Bullitt's car chase scene
That's why it remains, and will always be, the Daddy of them all. There've been some great chases since (like 'Ronin) but none has the drama of Bullitt's. The moment we see Hickman's double take and the Mustang appears in his rearview mirror is one of movies' greats. (Ironic, but apparently the Mustang(s) had to be reinforced to take the punishment while the Charger was left untouched).

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
Ahh! So that's what always threw me when watching the SE DVD and Blu! it's a minor thing but someone during the transfer process obviously thought the frames were mistakes and removed them. I don't see Warner recalling the disc for a few frames, but they might eventually re-release the film on a new Blu since this is an early title with lossy audio.
It would be interesting to see a corrected edition.

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
marsnkc said:
I couldn't wait to get my hands on the lasedisc of Goldeneye to relive that sinking feeling I got in the theater when Bond does the bungee jump down the face of the dam.  Alas, the comparatively postage stamp image as viewed on my 'large' (:laugh: ) ISF-calibrated 36" tube set gave me a sinking feeling all right, just not the one I'd expected and hoped for!
That's why it remains, and will always be, the Daddy of them all. There've been some great chases since (like 'Ronin) but none has the drama of Bullitt's. The moment we see Hickman's double take and the Mustang appears in his rearview mirror is one of movies' greats. (Ironic, but apparently the Mustang(s) had to be reinforced to take the punishment while the Charger was left untouched).

For me, the only movie chase scene that comes close to the dramatic power of Bullitt is the introduction to Max in Mad Max, and what strikes me most about it, is that it's the introduction!!! to the character! We don't even know the guy yet, and yet the chase scene and game of chicken are incredibly intense; not to mention extremely short for a chase scene.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
When you sit on your hands and don't act on an offer, you lose out...
Such was the case with the Warner 3-pack Steve McQueen Blu-ray

I wanted to buy Bullitt, but thought it would be great to also own
two additional McQueen titles for one low price.
However, seems that Warner pulled this set very quickly for
some unknown reason. You can't find it in stock anywhere.
If anyone happens to see it somewhere, please let me know,
but I have a feeling we won't be seeing this package released again.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Never knew about this set, but I already have The Cincinnati Kid which is a fabulous transfer to Blu-ray, and Bullitt still on DVD because I haven't heard much good about that BD. For some reason, The Getaway (the film itself) has been flying below my personal radar for years, and Ron's revival of this thread has put it right back where it should be, and thanks to this thread, I saw it and bought it today (in its standalone release) at Walmart -- where it was priced at $7.50 but rang up for $6.00. Can't argue with that.
What I might argue with is that the disc itself was obviously intended for sale in Japan, as the menus are entirely in Japanese and most of the alternate audio track and subtitle options are for Japanese -- contrary to the more typical French, Spanish, etc., that are advertised on the case. Checked Amazon, where I found a number of customer comments reporting this same situation on discs purchased from Amazon, Best Buy, and other sources. All describe exactly what I found. So, a heads up for those buying The Getaway now, as this appears to be something that's surfaced only within the past few months. I wonder if Warner Bros. is going to be willing to replace these with the disc intended for sale in the U.S.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
With the preponderance of older films being converted to 3d and re-issued, perhaps someday very soon, we will see the Mustang and Charger in 3d. And a properly done transfer with those black frames intact in both 2 and 3d. Seriously though, this is a really good looking transfer and if you find the blu rayt for cheap, certainly well worth owning. It's a classic.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Chas in CT said:
Never knew about this set, but I already have The Cincinnati Kid which is a fabulous transfer to Blu-ray, and Bullitt still on DVD because I haven't heard much good about that BD.  
On a big screen the BRD of Bullitt is far better than the DVD. So, if you have a big screen or a projector . . . . .

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
Has the original mono track ever been released? Seems as if this is still stemming from the stereo-ized track made for LD. I was looking up the old DVD to get the missing frames, but even that is stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks