What's new

A few thoughts about....THE TOWERING INFERNO SPECIAL EDITION (with Photos) (2 Viewers)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well my poseiden did not have the reprint booklet but it did have the leaflet.

the inferno had 2 leaflets and did have the reprint.

when does info for getting the missing booklets happen.

Seth.H

Agent
Fox have outdone themselves with this one. Looks magnificent :emoji_thumbsup:

Can't wait to receive my copy!

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I just got my Towering and Poseidon today and all I can say is WOW. Finally Poseidon in stereo, and the improvbement in Towering is stunning. This sounds like the original theatrical presentation. Beautiful packaging (why couldn't they do this with Sound of Music), lobby cards in both sets, a great booklet in Towering. Fox, my hats off to you on these two. It's such a shame that Universal issued a barebones Earthquake, this definately shows the difference between the two companie's home video department. Earthquake was the first in sensurround, this would have made for a great two-disc set, including the sensurround trailers, plus the shorts on sensurround used in theaters to promote it, and the tv footage as extras. Nothing.

The only strange thing is that when one puts the discs on the shelf, the front cover is actally on the back side, I thought that kind of strange. But they can be shelves the other way too and then yopu see the actual disc label.

Thank you Fox!

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with RobertSiegel on these two and the Earthquake DVD.
What a letdown by Universal.
They could have done something special but NO.
Well they did not do anything special to the Airport series so why expecting something???
Anyway cudos to Fox and now bring on Tora Tora Tora

Cheers
Maggi

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Found both Poseidon and Towering buried in the catalog racks @ HMV. They're charging 2/$30. Given that Canada is not eligible for free shipping and amazon.ca is not offering a comparable deal to amazon.com I think I'll be going this route.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Boy, I wish I could find this title here in L.A. Been to five Best Buys & 2 Towers, called 2 other stores, and even Laser Blazer doesn't have it. All the places have Poseidon, but either didn't get Towering or got just a couple and sold them out. Grrr.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I picked up both The Towering Inferno and The Poseidon Adventure SE and I am very impressed. Both films came with a reproductions of the lobby cards and Towering Inferno also comes with a reproduction of a making of pamphlet and an impressive assortment of other extras, all for the low price of $14.99.

A ridiculously good value, especially for a fan of both films. I also love they used the original poster art in the cover art. Overall, this is top notch work Fox, I'm impressed.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Hear, Hear!
Fox truly deserves some kind of award for these releases- from the spectacular packaging to the copious extras to the Sensational PQ and last but not least the price tag. Just an insane value. I can't believe I was almost going to let these go by and wait for the HD versions.
Even the transfer of TTI is quite a good bit better than the R4 anamorphic disc.
I had my doubts it would be, but Fox went all out and it shows.

Thank God Posideon got remade :)

BTW- In Posideon, did anyone ever notice that Reverend Scott makes the young women take off their dresses, with the excuse that that they can't climb in them- but then he doesn't say anything about Mrs Rosen keeping hers on :laugh:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have always said that on average, the two most
reliable studios for consistently producing grade-A
transfers of catalog product are Warner and Fox.

These are superb releases!

Tim RP

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, so where do I vote for dvd(s) of the year?

Just received Inferno and Poseidon from Amazon today. It didn't actually register with me looking at the above pics that the dvd cases themselves have the full complete poster art. Nice one!! I got both sets of lobby cards and the repro program for Inferno. Talking of which, the lobby card envelope is labled "Cinema Classics Collection"; I wonder what will be next..?

These sets are extraordinarily good value - I would have happily paid the new SE going rate and still figured they were a great buy.

Thank you Fox for a SUPERLATIVE effort.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Mine are en route! We work with a woman in her early 20's who never even HEARD of these believe it or not! She's coming over for an old school 70's disaster flick nite!

:) d

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator

That would be The Longest Day, Tora Tora Tora and Patton
Can´t Wait for these.
Has anyone seen any reviews????

Cheers
Maggi

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I have had all three for about a week now.

I rarely have time to review anything anymore, but if you
need specific details on content I can try to look it up for you.

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Ron
It would be nice if you have the time to post some pictures of these.
Also the pq and sound quality, are these the same tranfers or new ones??

Thanx in advance

Cheers
Maggi

Blu

Screenwriter
Watched both of these in one evening!

Simply amazing effort and at a very good price!!!!

How could you go wrong with these two films in these sets?!?!?!

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Watched Poseidon this AM and just finished the Inferno film. Will do the features tomorrow. I cannot believe how impressive the picture and sound are on this disc. Havent seen Inferno in several years, but it didn,t look this good.

I want to second the commendations for Fox, great effort and bargain on two classic films. Keep up the impressive work.

Thanks.

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
On a curious note Ron, did you get the lobby cards and booklet on your review copies?

I am still shocked FOX never metioned these wonderful extra's on press releases or packaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks