What's new

A few interesting facts about the great pyramid of Cheops (1 Viewer)

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
The only thing I've ever read about markings on the Pyramids was when they had pulled some outer casing blocks away in the 30's or 40's (for some reason) and found colored markings in red and blue. They were the "Team" colors, and I think there were 4 teams (Red, Blue, Gold...)

It was kinda of a competition to build the Pyramids (even if slave labor was involved) because the "Red team" was talking trash about the "Blue team", calling them drunks!!

Other thoughts:
~Wasn't the Great Pyramid the largest man-made structure until the Eiffel Tower in the 1880's ?
~When Moses cruised by the Pyramids in 1500BC, they were *already* so old, no one remembered who built them!

Hope my info is correct, most of this is from memory
~Rob

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Today, in the 21 century, no architectcould build a copy of the pyramid of Cheops, even if the technical resources of every continent were at his/her disposal
Oh please. Today, no architect would build a copy of a pyramid. If it came down to it, I'm sure mankind could pull it off. I mean, if we can do the math to get someone safely to the moon and back... I think we could handle a little geometry.

Whenever anyone asks me why I think the pyramids were built, I usually say, "what else did people have to do back then besides stacking rocks?" We're forgetting the time spent actually building these things. The problem with most documentaries, they make it sound like the Egyptians whipped them up in a couple of days. These things took lifetimes to build.

I am fascinated by the pyramids, don't get me wrong, and they are a great feat of a lost civilization... but, I don't try to make them what they're not.

Julie K

Screenwriter
It was kinda of a competition to build the Pyramids (even if slave labor was involved) because the "Red team" was talking trash about the "Blue team", calling them drunks!!
Heh heh. Reminds me a bit of the grafiti found, IIRC, in an inside room at a temple at Tikal. It shows crudely drawn victims tied up and pierced with arrows and spears. Some speculate they were drawn by a bored junior priest waiting for the festivities :)
There is nothing found in the ancient world that requires anything other than human ingenuity, human tyranny, and human brute strength. No inexplicable metal or other artifacts have been found. No worldwide building techniques or architecture have been found. There is nothing, as reported by reputable researchers, that requires alien intervention to explain.
And no, von Daniken, faker of data, is not reliable nor reputable.
Besides, his ideas and themes are not original and are basically a rip off of the mythology created several decades earlier. At t least that writer knew he was writing fiction (and doing a far better job, as well.)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Exactly, the great pyramid took something like 25 years to build, IIRC. And I don't think they had 8 hour workdays or weekends off. :)

Danny R

Supporting Actor
One thing to remember about the pyramids is that they are basically solid stone. They constructed a miniature mountain one block at a time. This doesn't indicate advanced technology to me. I was building pyramids out of my blocks as a wee tot. Its the most basic form of construction. The advanced technology lies only in moving the blocks and the precise alignment... all things quite within the realm of the ancient egyptians.

Sure the pyramids are enduring. Try stacking up some wooden blocks in the shape of a pyramid vs a nice tower with room inside or a very tall tower (ala Jenga). The pyramid is a naturally stable shape and will last longer should you shake the table slightly or accidentally bump it. Given the weight of the thing its not going anywhere. Does that mean its made with advanced technology? Nope.

You want advanced, build the same structure but with a wide open space inside (Egypt could probably use a nice indoor pool right there). The egyptians had no concept of how to build such a structure with wide open spaces inside.

We certainly could do the same today if we wanted, but what would be the purpose? Today if we want permanent storage, we bore into a mountain. And despite all the wonders of the pyramid, its hardly a perfect structure. Its already proven its not able to withstand earthquakes - the entire face of the pyramid was destroyed by one.

Personally I'm much more impressed with the Chunnel than I am with the Pyramids.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Let me know if you need reinforcements, Julie! :) (Looks as if you've recruited a few good skeptics here already! Thanks, guys.)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Pardon my ignorance, but from reading the posts it sounds as though there is absolutely no documentation of the building of these structures. Weren't there any pictures or writings left describing the construction of the pyramids? Or have all the heiroglyphics been destroyed or faded?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Skeptical publications have dealt with this whole business of the supposedly "astonishing" mathematics of the pyramids. They aren't nearly as astonishing when subject to scrutiny, and when you realize that many structures have interesting math results when the numbers are massaged just right. I agree with Jack about how annoying it is to see Von Daniken denigrate human intellectual abilities, INCLUDING his attempts to get people to swallow his lies and half truths.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and Julie: RobertR and I met at the Cinerama Dome last Saturday, along with Pete Kline and Pamela. After the screening of This Is Cinerama, we had dinner at the Italian bistro seen in The Terminator. We talked about you behind your back. :)

Julie K

Screenwriter
Bacon at an Italian cafe?

I'm confused.

But I thought I was being talked about. Or maybe I was just feeling strange due to the decongestants I was taking. It was a pretty strange day.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
No, Julie, you sensed you were being talked about. You're psychic. And I'm sure Canadian bacon is served on that pricey little joint's pizzas.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Mmmmm...pizza with piggy parts....mmmmMmmmm.

I wish I could have met all you guys :sniff:

You're psychic.
I sense things....I see something...I'm getting contact from the Other Side...yes, I'm getting a strong feeling...

No, wait, that's just my stomach complaining about today's lunch.

Nevermind.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Max,
They said food. Stuff that comes out of the water should not be confused with edible material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks