What's new

UHD 4k Ultra HD Preorder Thread (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
jcroy said:
At the present time, my #1 priority in regard to UHD bluray is to see whether the optical drive manufacturers ever release some 4K bluray-rom computer drives. (HDR color, 3D, etc ... are much lower on my priority list).

Basically I have an irrational paranoia of random bad sectors on optical discs due to manufacturing defects and crappy quality control. This is the main reason why I immediately check every newly purchased dvd and bluray disc on the computer, to see whether there are any bad sectors. (Deliberate bad sectors drm is an entirely different matter, which are easily handled independently).

If there is no way of checking UHD bluray discs on the computer, then I will probably not buy many UHD bluray discs (if any for that matter).

For context as to why I strongly feel this way, here's a post from another thread on this forum.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/344220-old-school-laserdisc-going-back-and-re-building-but-need-help/#entry4319604

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
jcroy said:
If there is no way of checking UHD bluray discs on the computer, then I will probably not buy many UHD bluray discs (if any for that matter).

To be be more specific, I would rather just subscribe to a streaming service offering 4K resolution movies + tv shows, than having no easy way to check 4K bluray discs for bad sectors due to manufacturing defects + shoddy quality control.

The primary reason that I buy ANY dvds/blurays in the first place, is that there's an easy way to check the discs for bad sectors due to manufacturing defects.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Is there any information on paramount and MGM uhd blu Ray titles?

The Warner bros uhd titles have not been listed on Amazon yet?

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I just wanted to say I downloaded (via M-Go) the 4K HDR version of Maze Runner: Scorch Trials and it was stunning. Blew away the HDX Vudu version (yes I understand not quite Bluray). I have several 4K downloads from the Samsung Video Pack this was even a step up from that. People can bash 4K all they want but there is a noticeable difference (Samsung 85" 4K with HDR/10bit upgrade at 9.5'). I have pre-ordered several of these titles back to the original purpose of the thread.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
DavidMiller said:
I just wanted to say I downloaded (via M-Go) the 4K HDR version of Maze Runner: Scorch Trials and it was stunning. Blew away the HDX Vudu version (yes I understand not quite Bluray). I have several 4K downloads from the Samsung Video Pack this was even a step up from that. People can bash 4K all they want but there is a noticeable difference (Samsung 85" 4K with HDR/10bit upgrade at 9.5'). I have pre-ordered several of these titles back to the original purpose of the thread.

I was impressed with 4K the first time I saw it side by side with 1080. The pixels practically disappeared.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Ok, now updated... Should give me some great demo material. I ordered the Samsung UHD player to hold me over until the Oppo comes out.

I have pre-ordered:
The Martian
Fantastic Four
Kingsman: The Secret Service
Hitman: Agent 47
Sicario
The Last Witch Hunter
Expendables 3

On the fence with:
Salt

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Target sounds pretty amped about uhd blu Ray!
Here's my response from target corporate when I asked if uhd blu rays will be carried online and in stores:

Thanks for asking about Uhd 4K blu Ray Players and several uhd blu Ray titles. We are not given information in advance to know if these items will be carried. It is best to check on-line from time to time.

Thank you for contacting us We hope you'll visit Target.com again soon!

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
What a bunch of bombs. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and The Smurfs 2 and Fant-4-stic do not improve upon a 1950's test pattern. The Indian chief staring off to the left was more entertaining. Fail.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The 5th Wave 4k available for preorder

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Ronald Epstein said:
The 5th Wave 4k available for preorder

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

</div> <div>

I preordered this after seeing it in the theater last not. If you like this type movie you should like this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Bill hunt at the digital bits posted the following about Star Trek uhd:

A quick bit of Ultra HD Blu-ray news: We’ve yet to hear officially from Paramount whether or not (and if, when) they might support UHD Blu-ray releases with their titles, but industry sources are telling us that the studio has quietly begun preparing titles for release on the format, including Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek Into Darkness. We’ll have to wait and see when official announcements are made, but I would expect to see at least a few Paramount UHD BD titles available in time for the holidays.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Robert Harris said:
UHD presents an interesting problem.

Disparate elements, all potentially parts of the same whole, but in an environment where mixing and matching will be essential to proper and viable releases.

The first problem is to get past the sizzle, and go to facts.

Examples:

Take a production finished as a 2k DI. Kingsman, for example, coming from Fox. A controlled uprez to 4k, should appear better than what one gets from a TV or player. Add to that, the full color gamut, unseen in HD, plus HDR, and better product will emerge.

For fans of that film, and I'm one of them, that's a buy, and for valid reasons.

For those with monitors under 60" or so, will there be a rise in perceived quality? Color, yes, resolution not necessarily, unless one is pixel peeping.

For any modern productions, finished in 4k, 4-4-4, HDR, there's no contest, as one would be replicating the theatrical experience more precisely...

presuming that displays are properly calibrated.

Take a look at the first Lionsgate offerings - Expendables 3, Sicario - pure 4k.

For productions photographed in any of the large format processes, be they 35/6, 65/5, 35/8 or larger, again a no brainer in UHD, but keep in mind that for older films, HDR may not be viable, or may be inappropriate.

This is the situation in which HDR needs to be separated from UHD. Where it works, as with the first group of Fox films noted by Mr. Finn, wonderful.

But HDR is not essential to UHD, and there should be no perceived connection. It's a wonderful added option, that works when it can, and for the record, HDR is great.

UHD allows wonderful attributes for home theater enthusiasts, and releasing UHD, along with BD, allows consumers to future-proof, and I love the concept, as it permits those who may not yet have 4k monitors to view what they can with immediacy, while not having to re-purchase when they make the move upmarket.

Bottom line, there are differences between UHD releases for modern or new productions, vs older catalog titles, as to what elements offered by UHD are in the mix. Keep in mind, that like VHS, Beta, DVD and BD, UHD is nothing more than a bucket, into which data is placed.

The selection of initial programming by each of the studios seems to be in typical fashion, with, at least to my mind, Fox giving it proper thought, while Sony seems to be thinking PlayStation. But all of this will be forgotten, once the really good stuff begins to arrive.

Large format productions, on UHD, projected or viewed on larger flat panels. That's the stuff that dreams are made of...

Am I in for UHD?

You'd better believe it!

RAH
Whatever happened to those days of yore (1980, US Naval Base, Guantanamo Bay Cuba) when I bought my first color TV (13" Zenith) for my barracks dorm.

Unpack out of box
Set in front if my bunk (or rack)
Rabbit ears up
Plug it in
Turn on and enjoy
(No remote either and only one channel in Gitmo (AFRTS) unless you like Cuba's state-run TV).
==============
Nowadays I needed my college degree to properly set up my Vizio M50-C1 ( connect cable box, Blu-ray player with internet, calibrate display, Roku 4 coming, connect legacy DVD player to component video, SHEESH!).

Also sad state of affairs when we'll get Star Trek, Into Dorkiness (2013) on UHD Blu long before STTMP-Directors Cut (if ever).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks