What's new

32", non-HD TV: S-video or component connection? (1 Viewer)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Is it worth it to upgrade to component video inputs on my Toshiba 32" 32A42, non-HD TV? Got the DVD player hooked to it with S-video (monster cable) now and pretty happy with it. Is it worth the $30 or so to get some component cables?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
You can always get a length of RG6 cable and create your own component cable. If you have it, use it I always say.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It depends on how picky you are. The picture quality will not improve dramatically, but the color will be somewhat improved. If you have not done a basic calibration with test patterns from a disc such as Video Essentials or Avia, you will most likely not notice a big difference.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
First off, monster cables, while they are good cables, are overpriced for what you get. Unless you want broadcast quality cables (bettercables, rhino cables, etc) I would look at the $15-$20 GE component cables from target.

Another good brand of VERY inexpensive cables are NXG technologies. You can pick up a NXG component cable for $5 online, or for $8.50 w/ an optical cable built on. All of my cables are NXG. They're built just as well as AR and Monster for a fraction of the cost.

As for the first part of your question, you won't see as much of a difference as going from composite to s-video, but you will still see a pronounced difference. You will see less crosstalk and bleeding of colors, especially reds.

Hope this helps.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Check out Link Removed
You'll have to root around a little to find them because their site is not very well designed, but they have very good prices on many items.
Only problem with this site is that if you order 1 cable or 20, the shipping is still going to be around $8, so if there are other cables in your system you're thinking of upgrading, go ahead and do it all in one order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks