What's new

2009 MLB Thread (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I must be slow. I checked and thought "what is he talking about?" My ah-ha moment came a moment later. Those Seals are a formidable club.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Those Seals are one tough unit.

In a different incarnation, but on-topic, Joe Dimaggio played for the San Francisco Seals before heading to the Yankees.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
first 2 game win streak for the Phils.
I would have liked for the Nats to win a game before they play the Phils tho'.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Indeed. A rough week for baseball.

On The Sports Reporters yesterday, Mitch Albom suggested that a first offense for DUI should result in automatic jail time. Can't say as I disagree.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Count me as among those who remember his antics well.

So short a career...but such an impact on our generation of baseball fans. What a personality.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
How the hell did the Royals manage to hold onto a talent like Grienke? I've watched this kid pitch several times, and when he is one, he's like watching a young Greg Maddux. It's not fireball and tons of strikeouts, but his pitch sequence is mesmerizing... to go from a fastball to this goofy 54MPH pitch that you wonder how it gets across the plate. It's rare you see a player swing and it seems like forever before the ball crosses the plate.

Fun time at the k today.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

This is very sad news. I have very fond memories of Mark Fidrych, having grown up in SE Michigan during his time here. I'll never forget our family's trip to Florida in the 1977. We stayed with the Tigers at the Holiday Inn in Lakeland, and Mark's motel room was just below ours. I have a picture somewhere of him waving to us as he entered his room. We were driving back to Michigan when we heard on the radio that he had injured his knee shagging balls in the outfield. It was the beginning of the injuries that ended his too brief career.

I still have an autographed baseball from that spring training visit that has many Tigers on it, including Mark Fidrych.

He died way too young. RIP, Bird.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike F. and Scott,

Hey, thanks for the pics / memories. I am a BoSox fan since way back when, and Fidrych was a very engaging personality to this 'non-Tiger' fan. He was a lot of fun to watch on the mound. In retrospect, I now wish I had paid more attention than I did when he was pitching.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's a pitching memory from last night.

Nick Swisher pitches the bottom of the 8th in last night's Rays/Yankees blowout. Swisher had been in the game at first base before he moved to the mound.

Video is okay, audio sucks but is understandable. Announcers are Michael Kay, David Cone & John Flaherty.

I always enjoy when odd things like this happen.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
They mentioned on ESPN this morning that Swisher was the best pitcher the Stanks had last night.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
(Maybe the Red Sox should've been trying to sign him instead of Texiera!)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In first place on April 14:

KC, Toronto, Seattle in AL

Florida, San Diego & St. Louis in NL

Anyone wanna change their predictions?!? :laugh:

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
And the AL East is truly backwards at this point.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

But it's only April, and the Orioles always get off to a good start, before coming back to earth (more like buried into the earth).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Okay...now I'm ticked off.

MLB has just suspended Josh Beckett six games for throwing high & tight to Bobby Abreu in the Sox/Angels series this weekend.

He wasn't even thrown out of the game!

Three different Angels were (including Mike Scoscia).

Put aside the fact that I'm due @ Fenway Saturday (Beckett's next scheduled start)...but that's crazy! He'll probaly appeal (and pitch Saturday)...but if you saw the play the umpire granted Abreu time just as Beckett was beginning his wind-up. I'm not even sure why the Angels were so apoplectic about the incident.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.