What's new

2001: A Space Odyssey HD (1 Viewer)

runchuckrun

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck

According to a quick Google search, I found the following info about the "Special Edition" 2 HD DVD set for Clockwork Orange:

From Warner's Online Store:
Screen Aspect:
Original Aspect Ratio - 1.66
Widescreen [16:9 Transfer]
Sound Quality:
Dolby 5.1 DDP - English
Dolby 5.1 MLP - English
Dolby 5.1 DDP - French
Subtitles: Subtitles
Media Quantity: 2
Packaging Type: Elite Red HD

From DVDTown.com:
Special features:

* Commentary by Malcolm McDowell and Historian Nick Redman
* Channel Four Documentary "Still Tickin': The Return of Clockwork Orange
* New Featurette Great Bolshy Yarblockos!: Making A Clockwork Orange
* Career Profile O Lucky Malcolm! (HD)
* Theatrical Trailer

Looks to be a double-disc set. I've already pre-ordered mine from Amazon! :)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
You can find Kubrick-specs from e.g. here:
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=65400

e.g. "2001":

"Using a dual-layer Blu-ray Disc (BD50) and dual-layer HD DVD (HD30) features include...

Blu-ray Disc Specs:
1080P 2.20:1 Widescreen
English PCM 5.1 Surround
English, French, Spanish, German and Italian DD5.1 Surround
Subtitles (Main Feature): English, French, Spanish, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, German, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Swedish
Subtitles (on Select Bonus Material): English, French, Spanish, Dutch, German, Italian, Portuguese

HD DVD Specs:
1080P 2.20:1 Widescreen
English Dolby True HD 5.1 Surround
English, French and Spanish DDP 5.1 Surround
Subtitles (Main Feature): English, French, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Portuguese
Subtitles (Extra Features): None

Extra Features:
Commentary by Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood
Channel 4 documentary: 2001: The Making of a Myth
4 Featurettes:
Standing on the Shoulders of Kubrick: The Legacy of 2001
Vision of a Future Passed: The Prophecy of 2001
2001: A Space Odyssey - A Look Behind the Future
What Is Out There?
2001: FX and Early Conceptual Artwork
Look: Stanley Kubrick!
Audio-Only Bonus: 1966 Kubrick Interview conducted by Jeremy Bernstein
Theatrical trailer"

Blu-ray = 50gb disc and PCM
HD DVD = 30gb and Dolby TrueHD

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Thanks, guys. According to the DVD Town listings, the BD editions will include all the extras. Are they usually accurate?

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I'm pleased but surprised this film has never been re-rated. I'm perfectly comfortable with its G rating, but it seems the MPAA has become so conservative and cautious in recent years that it would rate it PG if it had another go at it.

I can imagine how a re-rating might read:

"Rated PG for sci-fi violence, malfunctioning IT, scary images and some language."

--Jefferson Morris

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
I have rented nearly 20 HD-DVD movies from Netflix and never had a problem but I'm sure not going to start a thread about it.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

I use the Hd-A2 and some day I'll get around to installing the firmware.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I've had more problems with blu-ray rentals (3 of them so far won't play) than HD DVD rentals (haven't had any problems yet)

Doug

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well, so far I have had issues with 2 HDdvd netflix rentals. I had occasional audio dropouts during "Brokeback Mountain" on my HD-a2 with the latest firmware and with, (believe it or not) the SDdvd side of the Knocked Up combo on my downstairs DVD player, (Stutters, freezes...)
I have only rented about 5 HDdvd discs so far.

I have never had an issue with any BD disc and we've had our player for 10 months and have rented a couple of dozen BD's...

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Still have a perfect track record with BD playback.

Had another meltdown with the XA2 playing back Transformers last night. The player froze up completely and I had to do another hard reset to wake it up. Played back the entire movie without a glitch after that.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I did have a problem with my A1 the other day. I put the new SD Poltergeist in and it wouldn't recognize the disc as a DVD. I ended up shutting down the player and restarting it and that corrected the problem. But thats the first problem I've had with the A1 since the first firmware upgrade. I think thats actually pretty good considering I use the A1 as my primary DVD player.

Doug

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

That's priceless :)

I remember watching the movie a few months ago with a friend who had not seen it in probably a decade, and pointing out that it was "G" rated. As Moonwatcher murders another man-ape, "The following film has been rated G by the Motion Picture Association of America." As HAL murders the astronauts, "The following film has been rated...."

My friend was rather astute in pointing out that if the film were re-rated, it would probably be Bowman saying the word "hell" more than any of the violence that would get it kicked up to PG. Not sure what kind of a statement that makes, but he's probably not wrong.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I figured "hell" would count as "some language." Just the look of the man-apes themselves probably qualifies as "scary images," by today's standards.

I admit, as a tyke, I found the Louis XVI room pretty spooky. When Bowman sees himself standing outside the pod--for some reason I always found that a little frightening.

Any reviews of this disc on the net yet? It streets tomorrow, correct?

--Jefferson Morris

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Amazon still has my pre-order of 2001: A Space Odyssey (Blu-ray) listed as an "open order" and DVD Empire has the Blu-ray title listed as "On Order", where the HD DVD is listed as "In Stock".

It looks like the Blu-ray will be late. Just last week I recieved "Twilight Zone: The Movie" (Blu-ray) a week late too.:frowning:

Paul

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Yeah,

If you look up these titles on BD on Amazon, most of them say "Usually Ships within 5 - 6 weeks Only FMJ Deluxe is listed as in stock. Anyone know what's going on with this?

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand

Something is going on with Amazon's Blu-ray supply source for certain titles.:confused:

You can't even pre-order some "coming soon" titles anymore. "The Polar Express (Blu-ray)' is released 10/30/07, next Tuesday and you can't order it on the site. The same for "I, Robot (Blu-ray)- due 11/13," "Independance Day - Due 12/4", "Ronin - Due 12/4" and others that all were announced months ago.:rolleyes

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks