What's new

2-3 Pulldown for Toshiba H series (1 Viewer)

GregK

Screenwriter
Check out the latest issue of "The Perfect Vision"
where Gary reviews the 56H80. It is revealed that
the 3/2 pull-down only works in conjuntion with the
video DNR switch.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Jim,
Please let us know what you find out. I will make another attempt to contact Tosh when someone in the US (no offense to you Canadians) actually gets a positive response that Tosh will upgrade their set.
Watching ST:Insurrection, there is no doubt that my set does NOT perform the 3:2 pulldown detection. Looks bad w/ DNR set to "Auto," and it looks bad w/ DNR set to "off."
Peace,
DM
PS - Maybe Tosh could save money by sending us all a free SD-9200 player instead of making service calls. :)
------------------
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

James FT

Stunt Coordinator
I spoke to Norma manager at customer service at Toshiba Canada and she told me that there is much mis information about this problem.
All sets manufactured before Jan21/2001 do not have the 2-3 pulldown. It is in the set but the factory neglected to activate it. The update will consist of program of some type be programmed into the set as opposed to a chip or diode being added. I registered my set 56 H 80 at ceg customer [email protected]
This problem only affects dvd material being played on the set. Vhs tapes and television programming have be altered at source,to the 30fps
I must add I watched Proof of life on my dvd last night and I had no problem however I did run star trek the insurrection which seems to be one of the few dvds that exhibits the problem.
Norma has no idea when there will be a fix, they are waiting for Toshiba America to give them the program which service staff will install.
Norma also told me that the 4 by 3 hd projection sets will also be getting an update to to remove the top and bottom stretch when a widescreen picture is playing.This is to eliminate the distortion in the figures displayed on the screen. She presumed that the updates for both sets will take 3-4 months

Jim Kirkman

Agent
Still no word from Toshiba USA since their last response saying they will look into this matter.
I'm also curious why Gary, who started this thread and who seems to know something about this, has not posted anything on this matter since May 20th. I hate to think that someone here would deliberately post false information, but one does wonder when the information given cannot be verified by anyone else.
As it stands now, others here have verified that sets made after Jan. 2001 do have improved doubler performance, but there has been no verification that Toshiba is/will be offering to upgrade the sets made before then (at least for US customers). The only hint of verification comes from James FT who has spoken to someone at Toshiba Canada.
I'm sure I'm not the only one here who is anxiously waiting for some definitive and verifiable answer.
Anyone?
Jim
------------------

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Hi!
When you guys refer to the Toshiba H series of TV's, does this also include the HX series? I just bought a 50HX70 about a month ago and I am wondering if it might have this problem as well. I was never really sure what the DNR option did. I'll play with it now and see if I can find a difference.
This kinda makes me wonder though... If all H series TVs have the option to turn DNR on/off, what did this feature do on the TVs before Jan 1. Absolutely nothing? Or does the DNR option include the 2:3 inverse pulldown as one of many image enhancing features rolled up into one?
- Mike

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Mike, yes the HX too. The first thing you should do is check the build month on the yellow sticker on the back or your set. If it's after January, you got it.
DNR is/was 'Digital Noise Reduction' and is/was supposed to clean up noisy cable signals. I never thought it worked very well anyway.
I don't know if the sets with 3:2 also do the noise reduction with DNR set to Auto, or whether this menu option was just 're-assigned' to a whole new task.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Thanks John.
Well, I checked the back of my set and it's Feb 2001. Phew. Well, that's good news for me I guess. But, about the DNR... My manual simply states that it's Digital Noise Reduction intended for cable feeds like you mentioned. And like you mentioned, it doesn't seem to do a lot. Cable looks like crap with it in Auto or Off. It seems strange that 2:3 pulldown would work when this feature is set to Auto since only a DVD source would benefit from 2:3 detection and you would naturally set DNR to Off for your DVD source. Well, I did after reading my manual. Does this not seem strange?

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
My advice is to leave it in 'Auto'. Most TV programs are shot on film, so they also have 3:2 pulldown and would probably benefit from this (although to a much lesser extent).
The difference with the DNR setting set to Auto on the post-January sets is actually quite significant, but you have to know what to look for. For example, the tents at the beginning of Chapter 3 in the Fifth Element clean up completely with DNR set to Auto and you could easily see the difference when switching between Auto and OFF. It was a real eye-opener.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Alan Wood

Auditioning
It appears that the upgrade is indeed coming. I had called about 4 or 5 weeks ago asking about getting this upgrade on my 65H80. I did this after reading about this here on the HTF. I was told at the time that this was being looked into, and I would be notified "if and when a fix/upgrade was available". I was also told that my name and number would be added to the list regarding this issue. Today I got home and had a message from Toshiba. The customer service rep has requested me to call her with the date the set was manufactured. It sounds like what we have been hearing recently is indeed about to happen. Way to go Toshiba!!!
Regards,
Chip
------------------

Jim Kirkman

Agent
Thanks for the link, MickeS.
It certainly looks promising! That type of verification is exactly what we needed. I look forward to seeing posts about the results.
I do have one question, though. I've handled all warranty issues directly through my local dealer who has given me first class service and was instrumental in finding a fix for the "reset" problem. Should I go through them first? Or should I contact Toshiba directly? If it's something I could do myself like they are describing, then I don't mind going directly to Toshiba. But if it requires a service call, I prefer my local dealer handle it.
Thanks.
Jim
------------------

Jim Kirkman

Agent
I called my dealer and they said that since Toshiba has told them nothing about this, I should try to go directly to Toshiba. They said to let them know the results or if Toshiba gave me any problems.
So I called Toshiba yesterday and had no problem getting on the list to get the remote to upgrade my 40H80. The person at Tosh told me they are getting more remotes in and should ship on to me in about 7-10 days. She did mention the the supervisor was handling this issue, so if any of you are having trouble with a clueless rep, ask to speak to a supervisor.
Anyone here get their's yet?
I certainly will post a follow up to this as I get more info.
Jim

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
That's great that Toshiba is admiting the existance of the problem and are fixing it. Just one more question. Perhaps this was already answered but I may have missed it. Was the date of Jan 2001 ever confirmed by Toshiba? I read somewhere that Toshiba admitted to the problem but said the cut-off date was not totally correct. Just wondering because I have a Feb 2001 50HX70. If anyone has any office confirmation, please let (us) know. Thanks!
- Mike

Alan Wood

Auditioning
Mike,
The date was February, not January as posted earlier. I spoke to the customer service rep in charge of getting this fix accomplished. He told me I had one person on the list waiting ahead of me and that the remotes to correct the problem were shipping. If your set has a Feb. manufacture date, and it is a H80 model then you should get your name on the list, or at least call to check on it. I would like to again say... way to go Toshiba for correcting this problem.
Regards,
Chip
------------------

Philip

Grip
I bought my Tosh 56H80 in late March, 2001 and it was definitely manufactured in TN in March.
My question is that am I correct in stating that the enhanced 3:2 technology is built in to my model? Picure looks great, especially with my Tosh DVD 5109.
Would I see any improvement by returning the 5109 to another area of the house and getting the Denon 2800 connected to the Tosh 56H80 ( since it uses a better ISCAN type chip) or would this be an "overkill?"
Thanks....Phil

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Just as a bit of an update on the situation... I just called the Canadian Toshiba Customer Support line (1-800-268-3404 ext#755) and put myself on the list. The rep told me that the solution is still atleast a month or two away for us Canadians. I guess they're don't have access to the remotes either.
Personally, I think they need a better solution then simply mailing out a few remotes around. Someone is gonna steal it, break it, sell it, forget about it, whatever... If I was Toshiba I would simply send out a bulletin to all the certified service shops on how to enable the feature and direct all customers to them. Of course, this would cost Toshiba a fair bit of cash, but would be the best way to keep their customers happy.
My other concern is that once I apply the "fix" with the magic remote control, is there a chance that my settings will ever be reset back to original, and thus need the magic remote yet again?
- Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks