What's new

Oh lord, Blinx gets a 6.3 from gamespot (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Everything I'm hearing is that Blinx is a bit of a 'hit or miss'. If you like it, you'll really really like it. If it doesn't click, it's very very average.
Personally, I thought the IGN score was very generous with regards to the comments. But that's just me :)
Play before you buy? Same with almost every game...

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Why not rent it and see what it's like for yourself?

I would have missed a ton of good games if I went by reviews. I guarantee you will too.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Gamespot is notorious for low-balling Xbox games.

They're the sole reason why I don't go by reviews anymore. I rent, if I like, I buy. If I don't, I saved myself 45 dollars.

Damien

Supporting Actor
yeah but this was hyped as a system seller, and to see it get a 6.3 is pretty shocking...

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Oh yeah, it must pain the reviewers at Gamespot when they have to give anything higher than an 8 to any Xbox game.

Funny thing with Panzer Dragoon Orta, is that no matter what it gets, I'm going to buy it. I LOVED those games on my Saturn, and have been waiting for a new PD game for ages.

Blinx was always a rental for me, as the only platform games I've really enjoyed are Mario and Sonic games. It looks REAL nice though, and should be pretty innovative.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Blinx was always a rental for me, as the only platform games I've really enjoyed are Mario and Sonic games.
I liked Mario64 and the original Super Mario Bros., never liked Sonic, but yeah, I'm not a huge platforming fan so Blinx was always something I was on the fence about. I think I'll still give it a shot, though. Just seems like something I want to try.
Actually, reading the actual text of the review, I'm surprised the guy went as high as 6.3. Seemed like it was a chore for him to say anything very nice about it :)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised the guy went as high as 6.3. Seemed like it was a chore for him to say anything very nice about it
Agreed! After reading the review it seems like Greg Kasavin was being generous with the score. The review was...scathing to say the least.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Just read the review, sounds /very/ similiar to what I've heard from other people. Especially the parts about collecting crystals being a pain.

Still want to play it though.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I'm definitely renting first, but just because of the sheer number of titles on the way. I don't hold a lot of faith in this reviewer - it sounds like he's going out of his way to criticize it. Right off the bat, he's railing against the story. Personally, I can't remember the story of most platformers. At least nothing beyond the standard paradigm of "you have to rescue someone by bouncing on the heads of all the bad guys". And I can't remember a single platformer that provided a great motivation story-wise.

Later, he criticizes the design of Blinx:
Cats are predatory by nature, but Blinx is a short, squat, slow creature that gets conked out by his enemies if he so much as brushes up against them.
He must've hated Sonic as well, considering the flimsiness of the story, and the fact that Sonic stands on his hind legs & wears tennis shoes, unlike most hedgehogs.

-Dave

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, this was going to be a blind purchase for me based on the concept alone, but I think I might give it a rent first now after reading the Gamespot review...

Andre F

Screenwriter
He must've hated Sonic as well, considering the flimsiness of the story, and the fact that Sonic stands on his hind legs & wears tennis shoes, unlike most hedgehogs.
:D
This one never really caught my eye anyway. I guess I'll rent...

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Another overhyped tanker for the box.
Ah yes, because youve played it of course and know what you are talking about.:rolleyes:One mans dirt is another mans treasure.
I suppose since Gamespot only gave Mario Sunshine an 8.0. Mind you scoring only 1 point higher in the Gameplay department than Blinx (and in this regard its very comparable since they are in the same genre) it would be considered and overhyped game for the Gamecube? Anyone who enjoyed the game will no doubt disagree with that. So how about we wait until Blinx is released, play it and then formulate an opinion. I think its only fair.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks