What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The original uncut making of Alien 3 (1 Viewer)

John CW

Supporting Actor
So, as I'm sure everyone is aware, the original Alien3 "Making of" documentary that was included in this Quadrilogy boxset was censored by Fox at the last minute. This is what the Digital Bits's review of the Alien Quadrilogy boxset said on the matter...

The documentary on Disc Six, now simply titled "The Making of Alien³", was originally called Wreckage and Rape: The Making of Alien³. More than thirty minutes of material that was produced for this documentary was cut at the last minute. You might be wondering what difference thirty minutes could make in a three hour documentary. A big difference.

Gone now is much of the honesty and truth about the hell director David Fincher went through on the production. Among the footage lost were actual moments with Fincher on the set, where you saw his frustration and anger. You saw his struggles with producers. You heard from Sigourney and the other cast and crew members talking about the problems, and what a raw deal Fincher got. You even heard from the film's producers and Fox executives talking about what went wrong.

Simply put, this disc was about as good a behind-the-scenes look at the making of Alien³ as you could ever hope to get, short of Fincher returning to address the production himself (and he WAS asked to do so, but declined). Unfortunately, what you get now, while it still does contain some of the above (including material that you've never seen before), it sort of teases the stuff you really want to know, then glosses by it.
It's so sad for film fans that this version of the documentary has never been released. I'd do anything to see it. I understand that even the DVD's producer was unhappy with Fox's cuts...

After Fox decided to edit over 30 minutes of material out of this documentary, Charles de Lauzirika (the director) decided not to put his name on it since it was not what he had wanted to do, he had planned on having a brutally honest depiction of what happened on set. He then changed his name to an alias, that of Fredrick Garvin. (The name of the male prostitute played by Dan Aykroyd, on SNL.)
Does anyone know of any plans of this getting the proper release it deserves? I know it's unlikely, but I desperately would like to see it. Thanks for any hope you might be able to give me! :)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I did see the extended version of Alien 3 and the thing that was shocking to me is the autopsy of newt. In an interview it was mentioned that a screening audience didn't like it and some walked out. Sigourney Weaver also wasn't a happy camper learning that the future plans for the Alien series was AvP. Michael Biehn who played Hicks in Aliens was horrified to learn that originally the Alien was to burst from his chest at the beginning of Alien 3 and threatened to sue if his image was used.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Michael Biehn who played Hicks in Aliens was horrified to learn that originally the Alien was to burst from his chest at the beginning of Alien 3 and threatened to sue if his image was used.
And supposedly, he made more money from that one digitized shot of him in the beginning of Alien 3 than from "Aliens"

Does anyone know of any plans of this getting the proper release it deserves?
Probably the only hope is that any changes in Mgmt at Fox over the last few years would allow this to appear unedited for a BD release. But it's probably very unlikely.

I did see the extended version of Alien 3 and the thing that was shocking to me is the autopsy of newt.
How much more graphic was it than what was released?

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
They showed the entire autopsy which featured Newt's chest cavity being cut open.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks