What's new

Denon AVR 3802 Multi-zone operation (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Paul
I'm new to the forum as of today, and I joined in the hopes of solving my multi-zone problem. I can see from past posts that my issue has been touched on multiple times already, but never really resolved. the Denon has 7 discrete 110w channels. I have a 5.1 setup in the livingroom and a pair of speakers outside connected to the sound back speaker outputs, and these outputs have been assigned as multi-zone. I have a Cambridge Audio music server which is sending an analog signal to the Denon, thus the issue is not related to the inability for multi-zone to handle a digital signal. I can get the music server to play outside, but only when it is also playing inside. As soon as I try to play a different source inside (TV or DVD), the outside speakers go dead. I am not interested in the separate amp option for the outside speakers. I believe I have this wired correctly and the Denon setup assignments correct. I think there is some trick to how to use the remote that I'm doing wrong. As I'm sure many of you know, the Denon user manual is cryptic and vauge at best. Please help.

Real Name
Paul
Hallelujah...........I solved my own question. On page 25 of the user manual there is a section titled "Multi-source recording/playback" which is supposed to be used while playing one souce while recording another (REC OUT mode). Even though this is not what I'm trying to do, the instructions got me to be able to play an alternate souce at the multi zone speakers versus what I play through the 5.1 speakers. The solution is as follows:
- Press the REC/Multi button on the Denon unit.
- turn the function knob to the source you want to hear at the multi-zone speakers (in this case the CDR/TAPE setting). Note that the source must be analog as a digital source will not play in a mult-zone.
- That's it...you can ignore steps 3 and 4. Note that a small indicator light saying "REC" will alight on the Denon.

This setting will remain until changed, even after the unit is shut down and restarted. The instructions on the next page of the user manual about mult-source playback and multi zone playback don't work. Go figure. The technical writer at Denon should be canned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks