What's new

Star Trek Beyond (2016) (2 Viewers)

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
I always have TMP, TWOK & TFF at the top, as those are the ones I always rewatch and enjoy, in spite of and occasionally on account of their faults.

After that though ... I guess I'd have to put BEYOND in there (just saw it a 2nd time, first time I've seen a movie two days running since the original MATRIX.)

If I could slip Galaxy Quest in, it would occupy this next slot.

Then the 'lower forms' ... I guess TUC, SFS (which SHOULD be much higher, but it squanders so much with how badly everything is done in the last half of the movie) and TVH in the middle of the pack, barely in front of FC, GEN and INS ...

with ID next, and then NEM ...

and the 09 way way behind even those duds/misfires, totally dead-last.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I like your idea of a hunt through wreckage but there is something that I found so cool about seeing Spock running super fast after Khan through the streets in that part of the movie.

There are some cool moments in there. The end of that fight, jumping from floating garbage barge to barge, reminds me more than a little of Attack of the Clones.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, the running and jumping on those garbage barges. You make a good point Josh, Abrams was definitely showing his Star Wars love.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
About Khan's blood: Lots of people seem to think that it's effects completely negate the risk of death now, and to get around that they have to pretend it never happened, but that's not really true. Don't fans of this sort of stuff have an imagination?

Get vaporized? No help
Get eaten by a space monster? No help
Warp core of your starship breaches? No help
Any of about a million ways you could die and not have an intact body that's just "freshly dead"? No help

Plus, they could also have some sort of ethical limitation on its use in which it has been been made illegal.

I liked Beyond. Not quite as much as Star Trek and Into Darkness. Though it took two viewings of Into Darkness for it to gel for me (and for me to get past the Kirk/Spock Wrath of Khan redo). I've only seen Beyond once, so I need to get in a second viewing. Neither touches Trek '09 for me though.

I'd love to get at least one movie where they are in deep space and have no interaction with Earth, a star base, or any other Starfleet personnel. Just the Enterprise out in deep space alone dealing with something alien.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'd love to get at least one movie where they are in deep space and have no interaction with Earth, a star base, or any other Starfleet personnel. Just the Enterprise out in deep space alone dealing with something alien.

Amen! Yes please!

Re: Khan's blood, agreed on all counts...it really doesn't bother me. I think it's a little clumsily executed at the end but I don't have a problem with the idea. And since you mentioned rules on using it...Khan was genetically engineered. Genetic engineering comes up in Deep Space Nine and it's highly illegal and highly stigmatized, so I think you're totally right about Khan's blood being outlawed for ethical reasons.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Getting back to Star Trek Beyond, how would you personally rate this film in relation to all of the other Trek movies? We have 13 so far, and although to me Beyond is dead last, it is perhaps more or less equal in awfulness to Final Frontier and Insurrection. Here's my ranking, best to worst:

1. Wrath of Khan
2. Undiscovered Country
3. Generations
4. The Voyage Home
5. The Motion Picture
6. The Search for Spock
7. First Contact
8. Star Trek 09
9. Star Trek Into Darkness
10. Nemesis

For me, personally, all ten of those are films I'll watch again someday, even if the movies on the bottom of the list have serious flaws. The last three, however, I don't care if I ever see again. They are the dregs when it comes to Trek movies as far as I'm concerned.

11. Insurrection
12. Final Frontier
13. Beyond
Here's my rankings:
1. Kahn
2. Spock
3. Voyage
4. Contact
5. TMP
6. Insurrection
7. Nemesis
8. ST 2009
9. Beyond
10. Generations
11. Darkness
12. Country
13. Frontier

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
With the exception of First Contact, the upper tier of the Trek movies would be the ones with the original cast.

The only original cast movie in the bottom tier would be ST V.

Sandwiched between the TOS and TNG movies would be the reboots.

Into Darkness is not on the list anywhere as, for me, it does not exist.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Into Darkness is not on the list anywhere as, for me, it does not exist.

I have to agree on this. For me, it was so bad, I could not even buy the Blu-ray.

However, TFF is not so bad for me. Out of all the movies, this captured the chemistry of the three the best and is what gets me through watching it.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I have to agree on this. For me, it was so bad, I could not even buy the Blu-ray.

However, TFF is not so bad for me. Out of all the movies, this captured the chemistry of the three the best and is what gets me through watching it.

Yes the scenes with the big three are fantastic. Also love the McCoy back history scenes with his father. The rest of the movie, well....

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just didn't care for this. I realize I have been super negative this year! Dang 2016 just hasn't been a good movie year for me. :(

I found it boring and frankly never ever saw any sense of urgency. Felt nothing. And I wanted to.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
My rankings.

1 - TWOK
2 - TUC
3 - Beyond
4 - FC
5 - TMP
6 - ST'09
7 - ID
8 - TFF
9 - TVH
10 - TSFS
11 - Generations
12 - Nemesis
100 - Insurrection

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
My ranking:
1.) TWOK & TUC = 9/10
3.) TVH & FC = 8,5/10
5.) Insurrection, ST'09 & Beyond = 8/10
8.) TSFS, Generations, ID = 7,5/10
11.) TMP, TFF & Nemesis = 6,5/10

With TMP I prefer the theatrical cut, so I was happy that Paramount put that out on Blu-ray.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[beams into thread] favorites eh... well the one I've watched the most - over a hundred times - is Star Trek: The Motionless Picture, so I guess that must be my favorite. Least favorite? Probably the last two TNG adventures - Insurrection and Nemesis.

I really enjoyed all three Abramsverse Treks with Into Darkness just ahead of the other two.

psst I loved that final chase between Spock and Khan.

Sad to read that Star Trek Beyond did not do well at the box office. I hope they do one more. In a homophobic world did the gay Sulu announcement kill the franchise? Or was it Kirk on a motorcycle? ;)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
1. The Voyage Home - 10/10
2. The Wrath of Khan - 10/10
3. Beyond - 9/10
4. First Contact - 8/10
5. The Undiscovered Country - 8/10
6. ST 2009 - 8/10
7. The Search for Spock - 8/10
8. Into Darkness - 8/10
9. Generations - 7/10
10. Insurrection - 7/10
11. The Motion Picture (Director's Edition) - 6/10
12. Nemesis - 5/10
13. The Final Frontier - 4/10

EDIT: Fixed

Last edited:

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I guess I need to have a marathon because I don't know how I'd rank all of the films at this point. Heck, I'm not even sure how I'd rank the last 3. I liked them all, but each one had things that negatively impacted the movie for me.

ST'09 - I didn't like Nero. For what ever reason, the character didn't click for me, maybe because he was secondary to the introduction to the Enterprise crew and their origin story, so he didn't get enough screen time. Or maybe I'm just not an Eric Bana fan? I really enjoyed the good guys' portion of the movie, but Nero and company's portion didn't do much for me.

Into Darkness started off well. But when it was revealed he was Kahn, I was taken out of the movie. I only read so much discussion ahead of a movie so I had no clue he was going to be Kahn, yet the reveal was "meh". All I could think about the rest of the movie was why not just keep him as John Harrison? Although I really liked an idea mentioned a few posts back that he could be from the Botany Bay crew, just not Kahn. Imagine the heart ache he caused and he wasn't even the best (worst?) of his crew so we could only speculate what happens when Kahn is finally awakened.

Be that as it may, he was Kahn and I still can't get over how awful the role reversal idea was/is. And Spock yelling, "Kahhhhhnnnnnn!" was just the straw that finished ruining the movie for me. There are just certain iconic things you don't mess with and Shatner's KAAAAAAAAAAHHHNNNNNNNN is one of them.

I liken that role reversal idea to that of Zack Snyder and the Martha thing where it seems like the writers thought they were so clever and that they just made the next Sixth Sense-like shocking twist, but in reality are just out of touch with the audience. Of course the magic blood and beaming to Klingon were bothersome things as well, but not as bothersome to me as the ripoff/homage/attempt at being clever? thing.

And with Beyond, really the only things that bothered me were having yet another guy out for revenge and the faceless drone army. But the movie was written and executed so well, that those points are really minor.

Well after talking through my first impressions of these films, I guess I do know how I'd rank at least these three.

1. Beyond
2. ST '09
3. Into Darkness

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
December 31 seems like an odd release date for the blu Ray...??

http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-beyond-blu-ray-details-revealed

Frankly, I find that date near-impossible to believe. The span between Christmas and New Year's is usually reserved for some of the worst films of the year--not franchise blockbusters. I know there has been an ongoing debate about the success of ST: Beyond, but not even an underperforming franchise release is relegated to a date like New Year's Eve. Just look at any Weekly RoundUp from that time:

2012 2011 2010

By the way, December 31st is a Saturday. It's just not making sense to me.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
That can't be right. A Saturday? And New Year's Eve? Nah, their info has to be faulty.

Isn't December 31st a date sometimes given when there is no official date for something but it is sure to happen by the end of the year?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks